Transport Links From Hallet Cove to CBD/North

Boxertony

We have been offered to swap our 1 month short-term rental from Seaton to Hallet Cove, the property in Hallet Cove seems a lot nicer property than the one in Seaton.

Problem is my wife has got a job a north Calvary Hospital, which is North of the CBD and she will be commencing employment two weeks into our 1 month rental period. I have also gained employment in the North as well but I can drive and hopefully have transport means, so travelling for me is not a problem.

My wife Jane has gained a job at North Calvary Hospital, which is in the North of the CBD and I have been given jobs also in the North (Elizabeth Vale) North East (Royston Park). Edwardstown and another good job offer in Woodville, for City of Charles Sturt Council. Not made my mind up which one to take up yet. I do fancy the Woodville job offer. Hence us wanting to find short-term rental in the West/CBD region as we will hopefully be residing in that area once we have gained our long-term rental.

We are willing to consider the swap but we will need some questions to be answered honestly before we can consider swapping. My wife does not drive hence she will have to use public transport. What are the transport links like from the South to the North. The cost implications. The length of time travelling. Most importantly is the transport availability? Jane will be working shifts, starting at 06:45 am, also starting and finishing at 10:30pm. We are wondering about how can she get to work via public transport at those times and/or can return home if we are situated in Hallet Cove. Jane will be commencing her job two weeks into our rental at Seaton or Hallet Cove, not sure when I need to start. In addition we have a 17 year old and a 21 yr old who would like to be nearer all the action so to speak and much easier links to get back home after a night out, etc. Summing it all up Seaton is the perfect location for us to accommodate our needs for the first month of arrival and probably on a longer term.

We are happy to swap but its just the transport links and the distance to our employment and where all the action is. CBD and Glenelg for instance. I will not be able to afford a car immediately, so I will be using public transport as well. My Son will want to enjoy the nightlife at Glenelg and Hindley Street as well. I must admit I believe the cost of rental and the price of housing is cheaper and better value for your money in the South and we have seriously consider Hallet Cove as somewhere to live, so its not out of the question.

I look forward to your responses

Guest sarahsmartiepants

half hour train ride from HC to city and a walk of up to 15 mins to station in HC, depending where you live in HC. There is a bus to the city from HC now to, but I have heard it so round the houses it takes about an hour, check out adelaide metro.

Guest Kazzarazza

I understood that Hallett Cove train station was going to be closed from 18th Jan until mid-2010 and they are usung shuttle buses. I'm also not sure if your wife could get to the Calvary by 6:45am - you would have to check the timetables.

There are very good transport links to the city from Seaton with trains stations at Grange, Seaton and Woodville and buses leaving from West Lakes Mall down Port Road. You are also much closer to start with - it would only take 15 minutes to the city when you do have a car.

For the kids needs, I don't think you can beat the west side. Much closer to Glenelg, Henley Square, Adelaide Utd soccer, AAMI stadium for Aussie Rules footy which starts in the next couple of months, numerous surf lifesaving clubs which would be a fantastic starting point to get them out and meeting new people (also good for the parents as the social side is very good too). West Lakes Mall has good shopping, cinema, plenty of eating places, hotels, cafes, etc close by, as well as being close to lovely sandy beaches, lakeside walks, cycling tracks, rowing and canoeing clubs, and gyms, etc.

Hallett Cove has some good points too (I have lived in both areas) but travelling every day, at those times, would get me down personally - even with a car.

Good luck with whatever you decide, Kazza

Ps How did you manage to score a job at Woodville from over there. I've been trying to get into Charles Sturt Council for years but nobody ever seems to leave once they are in, LOL.

I understood that Hallett Cove train station was going to be closed from 18th Jan until mid-2010 and they are usung shuttle buses. I'm also not sure if your wife could get to the Calvary by 6:45am - you would have to check the timetables.

There are very good transport links to the city from Seaton with trains stations at Grange, Seaton and Woodville and buses leaving from West Lakes Mall down Port Road. You are also much closer to start with - it would only take 15 minutes to the city when you do have a car.

For the kids needs, I don't think you can beat the west side. Much closer to Glenelg, Henley Square, Adelaide Utd soccer, AAMI stadium for Aussie Rules footy which starts in the next couple of months, numerous surf lifesaving clubs which would be a fantastic starting point to get them out and meeting new people (also good for the parents as the social side is very good too). West Lakes Mall has good shopping, cinema, plenty of eating places, hotels, cafes, etc close by, as well as being close to lovely sandy beaches, lakeside walks, cycling tracks, rowing and canoeing clubs, and gyms, etc.

Hallett Cove has some good points too (I have lived in both areas) but travelling every day, at those times, would get me down personally - even with a car.

Good luck with whatever you decide, Kazza

Ps How did you manage to score a job at Woodville from over there. I've been trying to get into Charles Sturt Council for years but nobody ever seems to leave once they are in, LOL.

The Woodville job I have applied for- is a much more junior role to what I have done for many years, so when I sent my resume in they asked me to come and talk to them when I arrive. So not a confirmed job offer, maybe they did it out of courtesy. I had a job interview this Sunday night gone, which has been sorted for many months, first thing they asked was am I Mental Health Nurse I said no, which states on my resume that I am not, but they sent me reminders each week saying they will contact me regarding my job interview. Waste of time. Also another job interview they stated that I need to register as a Social Worker, but I stated that I have not got Social Work qualifications. Do they ever read our resumes lol.