Motorbike advice needed please!

Guest Lauren & Alan

Guest Lauren & Alan

Hi everyone,

My husband has decided that the best form of transport for him in Oz will be to get a motorbike (does the fact he is 40 in a couple of months have anything to do with this?!):biglaugh:

He only has a CBT licence so would need lessons, test etc. From what we can see it looks like you have to re sit your normal drivers licence after 3 months anyway so my question is...is this the case also for motorbikes and is it best to wait til we get to Oz before he gets his licence?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Guest guest569

he will probably have to resit his CBT and take his test to get his full liscence for the bike. Although i have seen larger motorbikes still will L plates on so it could be like in the 70's in the UK.

Your car liscences are a straight exchange over with no re tests.

Guest kangomik

you won't re sit your car test, you just exchange your licence within three months, the same applies for bikes.

I believe they take the CBT into account, the easiest way would be to complete the DAS in the UK then transfer both bike and car licence when here.

Or if not too confident do the whole training thing here to learn the road rules etc. I think it's 6 months on L's then a year on P's.

Yes you can get bigger bikes over here on L's, you need to search under LAMS and bikes allowed. For example he could have a Suzuki SV 650, and still be on L's. If he is a nutter he can have a Husky 610 TE on L's........ how that gets through is beyond me!

People with bikes are known as temporary residents by the way.

The roads are great, the views fantastic, the speed limit is dire and the price of second hand bikes is through the roof!

I enjoy riding over here, just wish they were not as strict with the speed limits sometimes, specially on the long roads.

Guest ReadyPenny
you won't re sit your car test, you just exchange your licence within three months, the same applies for bikes.

I believe they take the CBT into account, the easiest way would be to complete the DAS in the UK then transfer both bike and car licence when here.

Or if not too confident do the whole training thing here to learn the road rules etc. I think it's 6 months on L's then a year on P's.

Yes you can get bigger bikes over here on L's, you need to search under LAMS and bikes allowed. For example he could have a Suzuki SV 650, and still be on L's. If he is a nutter he can have a Husky 610 TE on L's........ how that gets through is beyond me!

People with bikes are known as temporary residents by the way.

The roads are great, the views fantastic, the speed limit is dire and the price of second hand bikes is through the roof!

I enjoy riding over here, just wish they were not as strict with the speed limits sometimes, specially on the long roads.

Why are people with bikes known as temporary residents?? Hope it's not because of the terrible road toll!!!!

Guest kangomik

:sad:YIP afraid so:sad:

Some of the lane changing here is:goofy:

I don't know why they fit mirrors for some drivers, and i reckon they don't sell to many indicator bulbs in SA:biglaugh:

Guest ReadyPenny

OMG!!!!!! Sean is looking at buying a new bike this week, I was already nervous, because of the driving standards and this temporary resident phrase has just about tipped me over the edge!!!!!!

Cheers for the heads up, I hope he's not too temporary!!!!!

Mandy

Guest kangomik

:biglaugh:Life insurance:biglaugh:

I've just been out on mine, i have come to the conclusion the Kangaroo's are racing creatures and very competetive. Has soon as you get past them and turn the throttle they have to come bouncing past and cut across the front of you:mad:, even the bloomin little one did it.

I do like the lizrds though, they must feel the vibrations in the road and then when you get near they arc up and open their mouths, like thats going to stop a set of dunlops in their path:p

Not sure about Echidna's, you may get a few puncutures if you flatten one of those. The birds get pretty big over here too.

Hi Lauren

I would suggest do his DAS in the UK also and depending on how far along your visa process buy a bike and ship it out. My husband goes to work on his everyday and yes the car drivers are lousy but it cuts his commute right down to avg 30mins even taking the slightly scenic route.

He loves his R6 and would not be with out it. It was quite straight forward to get the licence transfered as I also have a bike licence you just need to tell them to transfer it.

HTH

Michelle

xxx

Guest Lauren & Alan

Many thanks for all your advice some of which have given us a good giggle! I think Alan will take his test here in the UK then transfer it over in Adelaide and buy a bike when we get there.

A good reminder not to cancel life insurance until we get another policy sorted in Oz!!!

Guest thekings

Deffo get a bike once here unless your visa process will take 12 months plus. You can import with less than 12 months ownership but the import tax dosn't make it cost effective IIRC

Many drivers in Adelaide & surrounds are dire. Many of the cars they drive are not fit to be on the roads. No MOT's!!! The 'P' on 'P Plates' generally stands for 'Prick' so watch out for these (you get 'P' plates with 3 tokens from cornflake packets I think). Most aussie males think they are Michael Schumacher & never grow out of the little boys big exhaust syndrome. They are very immature when behind the wheel. In reality they make Maureen from 'Driving School' (remember her?) look like a good driver. There are good drivers too, but I suspect these are immigrants ;-)

The death toll on the roads could be greatly reduced if the government pulled its finger out from its a*** & did something useful, but thats not happening. Speed cameras will not address any of the above. There are very few traffic cops & the traffic bike cop numbers are being slashed which says to me the government prefers saving money over lives - same as UK. In many ways it's a bit of a third world country as far as roads use is concerned.

But that's South Australia I'm afraid, like it or lump it.

I ride a motorcycle & yes there are some great roads here to be enjoyed, but would I commute on it here? No way on this earth. Too bloody hot in the summer too! (Don't ever ride without protective gear, even when its hot. You only get 1 skin).

My advice would be to get full bike licence in UK via DAS & get as many miles under your belt as possible to gain experience & confidence before coming here.

Ride safe

Many drivers in Adelaide & surrounds are dire. Many of the cars they drive are not fit to be on the roads. No MOT's!!!

Totally agree....

The 'P' on 'P Plates' generally stands for 'Prick' so watch out for these (you get 'P' plates with 3 tokens from cornflake packets I think). Most aussie males think they are Michael Schumacher & never grow out of the little boys big exhaust syndrome. They are very immature when behind the wheel. In reality they make Maureen from 'Driving School' (remember her?) look like a good driver. There are good drivers too, but I suspect these are immigrants ;-)

I think you are being very harsh on 'P' platers....yes, i agree, some are awful...but i know many young kids, including my own daughter, who have been very good and sensible 'P' platers!!!! So I think you are being unfair with that sweeping judgement...

I

ride a motorcycle & yes there are some great roads here to be enjoyed, but would I commute on it here? No way on this earth. Too bloody hot in the summer too! (Don't ever ride without protective gear, even when its hot. You only get 1 skin).

My husband commutes to work and back on his bike....hasnt had any issues....

Guest Lauren & Alan
Many thanks for all your advice some of which have given us a good giggle! I think Alan will take his test here in the UK then transfer it over in Adelaide and buy a bike when we get there.

Having just spoken to our Migration Agent they have informed us that you will have to have held the licence for 12 months in order to transfer it in Oz. (for cars it's 5 years?) We hope to have moved to Adelaide well before then so have come to the conclusion it will be wasted money doing it in the UK so will wait until we get over.

Just a thought as with all the warnings of dangerous roads at least he won't have to put up with dangerous road conditons from the constant rain we are having in the UK! Surely surface water can cause accidents?

I think you are being very harsh on 'P' platers....yes, i agree, some are awful...but i know many young kids, including my own daughter, who have been very good and sensible 'P' platers!!!! So I think you are being unfair with that sweeping judgement...

My husband commutes to work and back on his bike....hasnt had any issues....

Yes some P platers are good & sensible, I used the word 'generally' so as to try & not include everyone in my statement. :eek:

Glad your husband hasn't had any issues with commuting on his bike :)

Guest kangomik

Some helmets can be used over here, but you will get pulled as they do not have the huge silver sticker on them. Shoei gets a world wide acceptance and is the only one that does not need a sticker.......... well i am sure i read that somewhere.

I wish i had brought my bike over. To be honest if your buyiung brand new then paying Aussie dollars puts them on a par, you may cry if you convert to UK.

Second hand machines are a different ball game, a quick look on aussie ebay should confirm this.

P stands for professional drivers...... it must because i have no other explanation for how they drive along the port express way on the hard shoulder at 110, or up main north road at 110. There must be a major clutch problem once that P plate is attached to the car, the wheels just spin and spin, have a look on most roads, or shopping center car parks:biglaugh:

It also makes them invincible when it rains, or does something to their eye sight where they have to get as close as possible to the car in front.

Riding with full protective gear.......... hey i wear my thongs, a long sleeve T shirt and shorts. Its way to hot to get geared up, and you rarely see a sliding crash, its more often than not a full side swipe lane change or a complete red light jumper. That is of course if they have seen you as they pull out right in front of you. Not much leathers will do in those cases, except for make you boil as all the cars pass without stopping.

Has anyone got any steel plates for my right thong? She's a pig to kick over with soft soles:biglaugh:

There's lots of people waiting to take money off you for toys once you arrive so please shop around.:GEEK:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Lauren & Alan
For SA specific motorcycling forums, and a really friendly bunch of folks, who like to ride check out Ridingsa

The Motorcycle Riders Association of SA website is also full of useful info, especially about the annual TOY RUN, which is always heaps of fun. :jiggy:The SAMRATS organise regular saturday and sunday rides as well.

Thank you for that it's really useful, I will show Alan when he gets home from work he is even more anxious to go now he knows will be getting a bike. He is druelling over motorbike magazines currently! :biglaugh:

hiya,

my oh had his cbt in uk and he had to do his L's over here which are valid for 2 years as gives time so to take his full test or resit his L's. it seemed cheaper do do his licences here too. on L's you can ride upto a 600/650cc too i think where as only a 125 in uk.

hth

kathx

Guest Lauren & Alan
hiya,

my oh had his cbt in uk and he had to do his L's over here which are valid for 2 years as gives time so to take his full test or resit his L's. it seemed cheaper do do his licences here too. on L's you can ride upto a 600/650cc too i think where as only a 125 in uk.

hth

kathx

Thank you that is good to know. I will keep a note of your details as a hairdresser for when we arrive!