Licence plate holder to fit British car

Guest bentkitty

Guest bentkitty

Hi everyone

We have brought our car over from the UK and collected the new number plates this morning. Unfortunately the British number plates were wider than the Oz ones, so we need to find some kind of frame/holder for the number plate that can then be screwed onto the existing holes in the car. Cannot drill new holes in the car for the Oz plate as the car is made of fibreglass (TVR).

If anyoone else had the same problem would be grateful if you could let me know how you got around it??

tx!

Guest bentkitty

sorry, I dont think I was clear in the original post, the Oz number plate is too narrow, not too wide. so when you place the number plate on the car there is a 5cm gap between the edge of the plate and the hole on either side.

Guest bentkitty

Tx Stevo, I was hoping to find some kind of universal fitting rather than a custom job. Husband's already found a custom plate holder company (Lakin) but sounds like they will be expensive and a two week turnaround. We need the car on the road.

pardon my ignorance on car matters (being a woman), what's an SS?

Guest bentkitty
blue peter it.

If you think two weeks is a long wait for something in Australia.......... welcome to Australia:biglaugh:

Haha that made me laugh - quite used to the typical waiting times now, which I dont normally mind, but we need to get this car on the road asap, as he has started work and I need the other car... I think we will blue peter something for now with cable ties or something whilst he figures out what he wants to do!

Guest Guest5035
I think we will blue peter something for now with cable ties or something whilst he figures out what he wants to do!

thats a no-no as if someone takes a liking to your plates, you'll find lots of speeding tickets in the post and probably the cops asking about a robbery.

Stevo

Guest bentkitty

Hi again everyone - we sorted out the car's registration plate problem! In case anyone else has the same problem in the future i wanted to tell you how we did it..

The backplate was an easy Blue peter job - husband took off the old registration plate, reversed it, spray painted it in black gloss (it's white plastic on the back), then bolted the new Aussie number plate onto the old British one, and screwed the British plate onto the existing holes in the back of the car. It looks fantastic as the whole thing is recessed into the back of the car so you cant tell at all that it was a quick fix.

Front could have been done the same way but unlike the back the number plate is not recessed in (bolted onto the grill in front) so two plates bolted on top of each other would have looked a bit cr*p. So husband bought a black shelf bracket from Bunnings, drilled some holes in it to match the existing holes in the front grill of the car, attached the bracket to the grill, then the Aussie plate on to the bracket. Problem solved! :)

Guest bentkitty
Be interested to hear how you get on with your TVR - only time I've seen one over here, the owner told me it really didn't like the heat here.

Hi Diane, i can imagine how that could be a problem, with an 8 cylinder engine! Husband had to have several heat shields put in the engine compartment for that reason exactly (being a girl i dont totally understand it but I think the shields are meant to protect things like the starter motor from the heat of the engine). We have been driving it for two weeks now and no problems so far :)

That's great news, they are beautiful cars. Have to admit when I chatted to the owner I met it was in the middle of summer and about 38 degrees, so who could blame the poor car for protesting a bit!

Have you got one of those lovely opalescent (?!) paint jobs on yours that seems to change colour depending on where you look from?

Guest bentkitty
That's great news, they are beautiful cars. Have to admit when I chatted to the owner I met it was in the middle of summer and about 38 degrees, so who could blame the poor car for protesting a bit!

Have you got one of those lovely opalescent (?!) paint jobs on yours that seems to change colour depending on where you look from?

No you only get those in Tuscans (arent they just lovely), ours is a Chimeara, British racing green

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest5035
It's a Vauxhall with a Yank engine using a chassis from the early 90's and will never have anything like the character of a TVR.;)

Actually a GM, and goes like hell, something the TVR will not do.

Stevo