Well we have gone and done it-Flights Booked!!

GaryP

We have now booked our flights and the realisation that we are actually doing this is starting to set in. We are due to land in Adelaide on 21st August!!!!

We have yet to organise anything yet and have soooooo much to do, the first being organising a removal company. So does anyone have any recent dealings with removal companies from the South West of the UK ? I would like to draw up a shortlist of 3 so any recommendations would be welcome.

I don't envisage us needing a whole container as we don't actually have that much stuff but I suppose we should really see what the removal companies have to say.

Thanks in advance for your help!!!!

We have now booked our flights and the realisation that we are actually doing this is starting to set in. We are due to land in Adelaide on 21st August!!!!

We have yet to organise anything yet and have soooooo much to do, the first being organising a removal company. So does anyone have any recent dealings with removal companies from the South West of the UK ? I would like to draw up a shortlist of 3 so any recommendations would be welcome.

I don't envisage us needing a whole container as we don't actually have that much stuff but I suppose we should really see what the removal companies have to say.

My sister used PSS from Cornwall and couldn' fault them.

Good Luck

Les

Guest Glenda

Hi just noticed your post as I am ready to book our flights but nervous about making a mistake. We are looking to go a couple of days after you as my hubby has to work until the 20th and we have to validate our visas by 3rd September. We have booked Doree Bonner for our removals (mainly because they are just down the road from us) and we have decluttered and put some stuff in to storage with them. So far they have seemed very efficient and helpful. Which airline did you book with and are you stopping over somewhere on the way? Did you do it on line or through a travel agent? It is scary but very exciting. I just can't wait now!

Glenda

;)

Guest Paul2110

We are flying out on the 10th April. Dependent on how much stuff you need to ship you can either use a shipping company or look into excess baggage. Apparently shipping companies will charge a minimum of around £500 irregardless of how much you are sending over. We are using a company called Transglobalexpress. They use DHL to fly things over. For 4 large suitcases it is going to cost around £350. You can only book them 1 week in advance of them being taken over. We are sorting ours out to fly over on 31st March. It only takes between 3 and 4 days and was the cheapest deal I have found on the internet.

Good luck with your move and I hope this helps.

xxx

Guest Daniel&Kelly

its a great feeling when you have booked the flights we fly out on the 31st march. we have sent 6 large boxes over with voovit for only £190(the boxes are the size of a big suitcase space wise).

good luck with everything!!

Guest joolz

Hi there...congrats on your flights being booked...we fly June 16th!!!

We have had quotes from John Mason, PSS and Brittania all roughly the same price for a 20 foot container, around £3,800 as prices have just gone up this month. We liked John Mason and they are reccommended on here so will probably go with them...Liked PSS too.

Hya, we've been here just over a year now, we used Pickfords removals they were really good they came to our house, packed and bubble wrapped our stuff, we had 21 really large boxes, (some boxes had a few large holdalls and house hold stuff) cost us just under£700 and then we had to pay $120 I think to clear customs. And container left beginning feb last year and arrived April, because it was part of container we had to wait a bit longer.

Hope this helps

x

Hi just noticed your post as I am ready to book our flights but nervous about making a mistake. We are looking to go a couple of days after you as my hubby has to work until the 20th and we have to validate our visas by 3rd September. We have booked Doree Bonner for our removals (mainly because they are just down the road from us) and we have decluttered and put some stuff in to storage with them. So far they have seemed very efficient and helpful. Which airline did you book with and are you stopping over somewhere on the way? Did you do it on line or through a travel agent? It is scary but very exciting. I just can't wait now!

Glenda

;)

Hi Glenda,

We decided on the airline based on recommendations and research really, it seems that although they are not the cheapeast most peoples opinions are that Singapore Airlines are the best airline to travel with as theyt are the most accomodating and they give you double baggage allowance if you have a PR visa.

We booked with them and are therefore flying through Singapore. We decided against staying there any longer than we have to as we felt that we just wanted to get to our final destination and get setteled in. So we are just going to hang around for the six hours (probably by the pool in the airport) transit time. The advantage of doing that is that the airline take care of all of your luggage which in our case could be up to 160kgs!!

We certainly feel unprepared at the moment as apart from getting the Visa, all we have managed to get done is book the flights and get the kids accepted into school, time is running out so we need to get more organised!!

Guest Glenda
Hi Glenda,

We decided on the airline based on recommendations and research really, it seems that although they are not the cheapeast most peoples opinions are that Singapore Airlines are the best airline to travel with as theyt are the most accomodating and they give you double baggage allowance if you have a PR visa.

We booked with them and are therefore flying through Singapore. We decided against staying there any longer than we have to as we felt that we just wanted to get to our final destination and get setteled in. So we are just going to hang around for the six hours (probably by the pool in the airport) transit time. The advantage of doing that is that the airline take care of all of your luggage which in our case could be up to 160kgs!!

We certainly feel unprepared at the moment as apart from getting the Visa, all we have managed to get done is book the flights and get the kids accepted into school, time is running out so we need to get more organised!!

Thanks for that. I was just looking on the Singapore Airline site to book tickets and I couldn't find anything about the double baggage allowance. How do you go about getting that confirmed?

Glenda

Guest joolz
Thanks for that. I was just looking on the Singapore Airline site to book tickets and I couldn't find anything about the double baggage allowance. How do you go about getting that confirmed?

Glenda

Hi,

We contacted them by email and they replied so we now have it in written confirmation...printed off and ready to produce if they dare say we can't take all those bags,LOL!!!:biglaugh:

With removals we have used Pickfords. They were very good, packed everything very well. Hubbies important tv's, were crated, as well as all our delicate items. They were and still are very informative to us.

We have our air freight booked for collection on 6th April, which again Pickfords are doing for us.

With all the timing all our items both sea and air freight will arrive before we arrive in Adelaide, already customs cleared, and ready for delivery.... It's been a long time without our stuff and I'm looking forward to getting it all back again.

Glenda

Hi Glenda.

you need to go to Sinapore Airlines Uk web site and send an email to there reservations section asking them to confirm the extra baggage allowance.

This is a copy of the reply that I recieved from them.

Dear Sir/Madam

Thank you for your e-mail.

Kindly note that if you hold an unused/unstamped/unvalidated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia Indefinitely, then you will be entitled to double baggage allowance (40 kilos, per passenger). This visa has to be used for the first time to enter into Australia, which will be verified on the day of your departure at check-in.

If you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 20 kilos per passenger.

You can have as many items of luggage as you wish providing no one single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, due to health and safety requirement.

I hope this information helps.

Thank you for choosing Singapore Airlines.

Yours Sincerely,

Paige Brooks

SIA UK

Hope this helps

Good luck

Les

Guest Glenda
Hi,

We contacted them by email and they replied so we now have it in written confirmation...printed off and ready to produce if they dare say we can't take all those bags,LOL!!!:biglaugh:

Oh thanks, I'll do that then! I am determined to get the tickets booked this weekend, then can start emailing people re: jobs etc! :D