Like Tree2Likes
    • 1 Post By katsmajic
    • 1 Post By Rachiegarlo

Thread: Driving age limit....

Driving age limit....

Had heard that 16 year olds can drive in Australia....is this true?? If so are there any restrictions because of age as opposed to restrictions as a learner. EG in the UK a 16 year old used to be able to drive (not that they would want to ) a robin reliant that had a deactivated reverse gear!!!

Also what age can you start riding a moped/motorcycle and what are the restrictions involved with that??

Thanks in advance.:)

254 times
      Teens can go for their L's at 16, they have to pass a test in the DL office, once armed with the little cert they can have lessons with any qualified and experienced driver and of course paid instructors...theyre on their L's for a (changing) period of time - was 6mths, think its 12 now, they have to complete a logbook and so many hours of driving, they have to be ticked off on areas of the logbook then they can sit the test for their P's...they spend 2yrs on the P plate, and as long as theres no infringements they get their regualer licence.

Took my daughter 3 goes at the L's shes passed and getting her hours in...
      thekings likes this.

I don't see the age being a problem. What they are allowed to drive is scary stuff with minimal insurance

Happy Valley
      243 times
      Quote Originally Posted by kangomik View Post
      I don't see the age being a problem. What they are allowed to drive is scary stuff with minimal insurance

Yeah i know some people who support the rise of the age limit to 18....not me!

Can't see how anyone can say that all 18 year olds are going to be more mature than all 16 year olds...They are all different...

BUT i do agree with kangomik.......its what they are allowed to drive that is scary!
      Arrived November 2005........live in Happy Valley

South Plympton, Adelaide
      1114 times
      currently .....spend 6 months minimum on L plates, max speed allowed is 80 km/hr. Must do 50 hours with fully licenced driver. 10 hours must be night driving.

Soon .....spend 1 yr on Ls, 75 hrs driving. Will be allowed to drive upto 100k as they need experience at this in the country.
      thekings likes this.
      Sailed SS Australis out of Southampton 1977.Arrived October in Adelaide via Melbourne 1977.Liverpool/London 1987 - 1992
      Adelaide 1992 to eternity:)and one day you'll wake up and stop counting how long you've been here.

What about motorcycles or do your answers include them as well???

• Letton Percival provide shipping insurance for your international move