Southern Expressway

Guest banjo70

Hi there,

I feel a little confused but could someone explain how the Southern Expressway works?

It's a motorway, but only one way - however it can be one way in either direction - I don't get it.

How many accidents are there on it becuse people drive the wrong way on it?

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi there,

I feel a little confused but could someone explain how the Southern Expressway works?

It's a motorway, but only one way - however it can be one way in either direction - I don't get it.

How many accidents are there on it becuse people drive the wrong way on it?

It is closed in the middle of the day and the middle of the night for it to change directions, someone is employed to drive up and down it before it re opens the other way!!!! Excellent planning went into it...... NOT!

You cant get on the wrong way because there is a big sign saying "go back wrong way"!! It goes south to north weekday mornings and north to south weekday arvos/evenings, then at the weekends it goes north to south in the mornings and south to north in the arvos/evenings.

In fact the road infrastructure in Adelaide is not up to much IMO. The roads are busier than they were 5 years ago, according to people I know, due to us immigrants probably! And they will only get busier:mad:.

There was a plan for two bigs roads years ago, one for north to south and one from east to west:idea:, it was scrapped by the state government that got in shortly afterwards, because they said Adelaide didnt need it!:SLEEP: Just like the old railway that went all the way past Seaford and on to Willunga!

Guest dglamoore

It is definitely quirky but you soon get used to it :jiggy:Really really fun when you have a satnav that insists on you getting on it come hell or high water when shut :wacko:

Lisa:D

There has been one fatality on the Southern Expressway, but it wasn't due to someone driving the wrong way (at least direction wise). The road is closed for at least an hour or so between when they close it off one way and allow traffic to go the other way, to allow all the cars to pass and for the workers to check there are no hazards on the road.

Also keep in mind that when the Gvt built it they could only afford to build it one-way, however they did buy enough land to extend it to a dual way expressway in the future. (So there is land reserved). It is expected this will come in the next few years (I believe the fed gvt has funded it).

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

We came back from the city on it today and nice to set the cruise at 100 k's for a change and really does save you time by missing out the lights on the South Road, a great idea but does seem an awful lot of work for the road workers bless em

:wacko:

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Yo dudes

We came back from the city on it today and nice to set the cruise at 100 k's for a change and really does save you time by missing out the lights on the South Road, a great idea but does seem an awful lot of work for the road workers bless em

:wacko:

It would be good if you could come ALL the way back from the city on it, but you have to get 20 mins from the city to bedford pk before you can get on it, and there are not enough entrances and exits between the begining and sherriffs rd. The road is only ever any good if I go to the southern beaches. Depending on where you live it is a pointless road, seeing as the busiest part of south road is the stretch between Bedford pk and the city:nah:. After that the run up south rd is nothing.

sarah

I feel I may have touched a nerve of one or two of you. :err:

But thanks for the replies, it's gone some way to clearing it up.

I suspect I'll find the roads around Adelaide real easy and comparativley traffic free. I currently do most of my suburban driving in London - now that is a real snarl up and can take an hour to get 10 miles (or should I say 16 kilometers).

Guest Guzzler&Sas
I feel I may have touched a nerve of one or two of you. :err:

Hi,

Not sure where they get the term "whinging poms" from:confused: even after 15 months here I cannot get over how little traffic there is on the road but I'm sure some will disagree, after London driving you'll love it,

Guzzler

Guest dglamoore
Not sure where they get the term "whinging poms" from:confused:

Guzzler

mmmmm wondered this many a time myself :biglaugh:

would never drive in UK - we lived in Exeter and traffic was bad enough but bliss here!!! Can't understand what most of the moaning is about with aussie drivers, but maybe as I learnt here that means I am one of them :biglaugh:

Lisa:o

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Just wondering here guzzler and sas and dglamoore....are you calling me a whinging pom by any chance?

I come to that conclusion as I am the only one who thinks the expressway is a stupid road.

If so :biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:.

sarah

Gosh and I thought dglamoore was the moderator! Be honest the traffic in Exeter was only bad at rush hours ie Heavitree, Topsham Rd and then it wasn't as bad as going through the city here from North to South - can take up to an hour and a half and not always just at rush hour! Not complaining it is to be expected anywhere. You probably do find it easier as you sound like you learnt to drive here - you must understand some of the system better! As for whinging poms - I don't know why we got that term either - on this forum you are called it when you say something that doesn't agree with the clicky happy bunch I suppose. Other than that some people do moan too much, but then so do some with an aussie accent. They ask how you are, you say good and you? and then you hear how unhappy they are at work or about their red gas bill or in the que at Woolworths the other day someone said how my trolley was full of food and she could only afford to give her kids crisps and fizzy drink at mo was I a pom! So I have found over the last year and a bit that it is about even in the whinging stakes! Everybodys experience and opinion is different. Isn't that the makes a discussion!

WISE WORDS AWARD!

:notworthy:

Gosh and I thought dglamoore was the moderator! Be honest the traffic in Exeter was only bad at rush hours ie Heavitree, Topsham Rd and then it wasn't as bad as going through the city here from North to South - can take up to an hour and a half and not always just at rush hour! Not complaining it is to be expected anywhere. You probably do find it easier as you sound like you learnt to drive here - you must understand some of the system better! As for whinging poms - I don't know why we got that term either - on this forum you are called it when you say something that doesn't agree with the clicky happy bunch I suppose. Other than that some people do moan too much, but then so do some with an aussie accent. They ask how you are, you say good and you? and then you hear how unhappy they are at work or about their red gas bill or in the que at Woolworths the other day someone said how my trolley was full of food and she could only afford to give her kids crisps and fizzy drink at mo was I a pom! So I have found over the last year and a bit that it is about even in the whinging stakes! Everybodys experience and opinion is different. Isn't that the makes a discussion!

Guest dglamoore

I am a moderator but still a person with views and a sense of humour too - obviously the phrase 'tongue in cheek' does not spring to mind :biglaugh::biglaugh: Heavitree was where I lived so guess that is why my experience of traffic was bad - 45 mins to walk to the city or 1hour by car at wrong time of day. Nothing like that here that I have seen yet but I am sure it exists :o I did learn to drive here as I said earlier so maybe that is why I do not find driving here a problem.

Who called you a whinging pom it was a general comment !! (tongue in cheek too at that :biglaugh:)

Lisa

Guest sarahsmartiepants
not personal to you but oh my god some brits over here don't half moan a lot :wacko: :biglaugh:gonna have to get an aussie accent quick :biglaugh:

Lisa:o

The longer you are here and the more Aussies you meet, you will find they whinge as much, either because it is too hot or there hasnt been enough rain. Must be the pom in them!

BANJO, you asked a question about the expressway... you didnt hit on a nerve at all, I answered the question based on my expirience, there you go, take it or leave it.

Guest dglamoore
The longer you are here and the more Aussies you meet, you will find they whinge as much, either because it is too hot or there hasnt been enough rain. Must be the pom in them!

BANJO, you asked a question about the expressway... you didnt hit on a nerve at all, I answered the question based on my expirience, there you go, take it or leave it.

and a good answer it was - after all we are all alllowed an opinion :cute:

Lisa:jiggy:

SSP - If you feel my post was ill worded then I apologies, I'm new here and don't want to cause offence straight away.

To all - At this point I could go on about the perils of posting on forums and the arguments that can start from the seemingly inocent post, but I'm sure a lot of us have been then, done that and got the T-shirt. But that's for another day and another thread, and I'm here when i should be working. Tsk Tsk. :wideeyed:

Back on Topic - From 12,000 miles away I feel I'm probably with SSP on this. It does seem about as much use as a chocolate teapot, however my opinion may change if/when I ever get the chance to use it.

Guest sarahsmartiepants
SSP - If you feel my post was ill worded then I apologies, I'm new here and don't want to cause offence straight away.

No your post was not ill worded to me at all, so no worries here:err:.

Actually chocolate teapot is a good way to describe the expressway IMO! Unless you live further south than me, and it coincides with where you are going!

I know lots of people who use it and it is going the right way for them!

sarah

For me, the expressway is useless!.From where I live I dont need it to go north, and to go south,by the time I get to an entry point its not worth it.When I was driving all over Adelaide for work ...it was still useless, because when I went south in the mornings..........it was going the wrong way.And to come home......it was going the wrong way!.In

Ive just written two posts giving good examples of traffic on this and have been logged out.......Im not a quick typer and think this log out stuff is ridiculous!.......Now that is a whinge!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not really bothered either way regarding the Expressway (pardon the pun).

What does worry me is the amount the govt would have to spend on changing it .

That money should be spent on more needy projects such as desalination plants,we really need an answer to the water shortage.

I hope they don't waste money as they did with the tram line extension in the city.