I applied for vehicle import approval to ship my motorcycle over but it appears the goal posts have been moved (again). It is still possible to import it but due to legislation you really need to be living in Australia to be able to provide the appropriate documentation, and for me its just not financially viable. For those looking to take a vehicle over this is a copy of the e-mail I got this week.
Due to Legislation changes on 18 November 2009, all applicants are required to provide evidence of their intention to remain in Australia indefinitely. You must be able to provide documentation equalling at least 100 points. Please see the table below for acceptable documents.
Documents used to establish an intention to remain in Australia indefinitely:
Primary documents that applicants can use to substantiate Australian residency
50 points documents
· the recent commencement of Australian employment (eg, a letter from the new employer).
· the recent cessation of overseas employment (eg, a letter from the previous employer).
· a recent rental agreement / purchase agreement for the applicants Australian residential property (ie, longstanding holiday or second homes don’t count).
· a recent sale / cancellation of the applicants overseas residential property.
Secondary documents that applicants can use to substantiate Australian residency
20 point documents
· the shipment of the applicants household goods to Australia
· the enrolment of the applicants children in an Australian school.
10 point document
· other documents relating to the applicants Australian residential property (eg, telephone / electricity accounts).
Additional documents, that foreign citizens can use to substantiate Australian residency
25 points documents
· the applicants Australian Tax File Number
· the applicants Australian bank account.
· the applicants registration with Medicare.
· the applicants Australian medical insurance.
· the applicants Australian drivers licence."