Vehicle Import Approval

Guest thekings

Guest thekings

I applied for vehicle import approval to ship my motorcycle over but it appears the goal posts have been moved (again). It is still possible to import it but due to legislation you really need to be living in Australia to be able to provide the appropriate documentation, and for me its just not financially viable. For those looking to take a vehicle over this is a copy of the e-mail I got this week.

"

Due to Legislation changes on 18 November 2009, all applicants are required to provide evidence of their intention to remain in Australia indefinitely. You must be able to provide documentation equalling at least 100 points. Please see the table below for acceptable documents.

Documents used to establish an intention to remain in Australia indefinitely:

Primary documents that applicants can use to substantiate Australian residency

50 points documents

· the recent commencement of Australian employment (eg, a letter from the new employer).

· the recent cessation of overseas employment (eg, a letter from the previous employer).

· a recent rental agreement / purchase agreement for the applicants Australian residential property (ie, longstanding holiday or second homes don’t count).

· a recent sale / cancellation of the applicants overseas residential property.

Secondary documents that applicants can use to substantiate Australian residency

20 point documents

· the shipment of the applicants household goods to Australia

· the enrolment of the applicants children in an Australian school.

10 point document

· other documents relating to the applicants Australian residential property (eg, telephone / electricity accounts).

Additional documents, that foreign citizens can use to substantiate Australian residency

25 points documents

· the applicants Australian Tax File Number

· the applicants Australian bank account.

· the applicants registration with Medicare.

· the applicants Australian medical insurance.

· the applicants Australian drivers licence."

Guest guest4504

sounds more complicated now, especially for the long term rental agreement part. people usually go for holiday lets to start with. I am planning on bringing our Mazda, to purchase this model of diesel is over $25 K used for a 5 year old one in Oz. I would be saving quite alot bringing my own. Can the secondary sections be mixed on all 3 areas ?thanks.

Guest kangomik

I gave in mate and sold in the uk. Biggest regret i have to be honest.

Well untill i looked on autotrader today and saw the price of bikes in the Uk !!!!

To be honest i wish i could have brought mine....... but after 24 months and three bikes down the line, i reckon i have sussed the lay out....... but it has cost!

Guest thekings

Well untill i looked on autotrader today and saw the price of bikes in the Uk !!!!

To be honest i wish i could have brought mine....... but after 24 months and three bikes down the line, i reckon i have sussed the lay out....... but it has cost!

The problem I had apart from getting the 100 points is that it would probably cost me about £1500 to ship a bike worth £1900. This is shipped after we arrive and not with our container. In the container shipping is £130 + tax and customs etc. But you cant ship without the approval and we cant come over and leave all our stuff waiting for the bike to be approved and then ship it all over together. Bit of a catch 22 really.

Guest guest4504

With a car, would it come in the container with the house items ? im thinking maybe if it was left with relative i may be able to ship over after ?? hmmm, any sugestions on this.

If we ever sell the ZZR will give you a shout Mik!

Guest thekings
With a car, would it come in the container with the house items ? im thinking maybe if it was left with relative i may be able to ship over after ?? hmmm, any sugestions on this.

you could ship it over after but as I see it, it costs a lot more to ship a vehicle independantly than if you put it in your container with your household goods.

• 4 months later...