Did you get stung by cleaning / disinfecting charges

spanners

Hi

I'm starting to pack up my home ready for Pickfords to come in a couple of weeks. I know customs are strict about anything with mud. I've jet washed the mountain bikes, all the obvious garden tools and washed / reoiled the garden furniture. Am I going to have to hand scrub all my spare mountain bike tyres - they're already pretty clean but I wouldn't eat of them. Am I missing anything? What did you get caught bringing in - tell me your dirty tails and what level of charges are applied?

sounds like your organised,that will probably do ,the only thing we had a hicup with was a

wicker christas reef ,when they checked the boxes they found it and asked if we wanted to pay

fumigation costs or thet could dertroy it for nowt,we chose the latter

all the rest sailed through ,they had a good rumage through our boxes,dont think they check everyones

good luck on your move

Hi

I'm starting to pack up my home ready for Pickfords to come in a couple of weeks. I know customs are strict about anything with mud. I've jet washed the mountain bikes, all the obvious garden tools and washed / reoiled the garden furniture. Am I going to have to hand scrub all my spare mountain bike tyres - they're already pretty clean but I wouldn't eat of them. Am I missing anything? What did you get caught bringing in - tell me your dirty tails and what level of charges are applied?

We were advised by removal company to wipe over shoes with Jeyes fluid.......and after cleaning bikes etc do the same to them! If they get a whiff of that stuff they are happy you have thoroughly cleaned stuff - worked for us, we had no issues! :cute:

Guest hel&sam

they had a good rummage through quite a lot our stuff, christmas decs and outdoor stuff so it was worth chucking away the gold pine cones. there were some straw hats in one of the boxes they inspected, which had been packed by mistake but they didnt bother with those. they must have been overpowered by the reek of jeyes fluid when the opened the container door though. traffordbark's right wipe everything with the stuff, shoes outdoor toys, tools the lot.

Guest Team 'W'

HIYA , ye sounds like youre doing a good job ,it is mainly bikes, garden tools ,soles of shoes ,wellies etc ..

also they wont let candles in if they have beeswax in them ,wicker [untreated] pine [untreated ] christmas wreaths if they have pine cones on ,any artificial flower arrangements , and dont under estimate them ,they do random checks on items aswell [my daughter had a large rocking horse ,they went over this with a fine tooth comb..and sometimes the removal company lets you fill out your drawers and small robes with bedding and stuff [but on the item they put a label on to say it was packed by you ,so there for you could possibly guarantee it will be checked ..

well good luck and happy packing ...best wishes for the future

ELAINE X

Jeyes is the way to go, but remove all traces of soil. I cleaned about 20 MTB tyres, and my bikes really well, used jeyes on all the tyres, our camping equipment, boots etc and it was fine. Got stung though because my wife packed some xmas decs with a pine cone in it! They wanted 400 dollars to treat it or 280 dollars to destroy it! I got them down to 80 dollars to get rid of it, but it was still a pain in the backside after all the trouble id gone to. They do check a LOT of stuff. If you take the wheels out of your bikes, put frame protectors into the wheel dropouts to stop any side impacts bending the frame or forks. You can use 8mm threaded bar cut to length with nuts and washers- dont get ripped off for actual frame protectors that dont do anything extra! Lots of good riding here in Adelaide. Message me if you want more info. Cheers, Jim

• 4 weeks later...
Guest hel&sam

silk and plastic are fine its just the actual dried flowers. jeyes you can pick up at most supermarkets but they do big ones at b&q you'll need it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brianlynnette
they had a good rummage through quite a lot our stuff, christmas decs and outdoor stuff so it was worth chucking away the gold pine cones. there were some straw hats in one of the boxes they inspected, which had been packed by mistake but they didnt bother with those. they must have been overpowered by the reek of jeyes fluid when the opened the container door though. traffordbark's right wipe everything with the stuff, shoes outdoor toys, tools the lot.

hi im just wondering what xmas decs you took over, im not bothered about the tree, but i have quite a lot of old fashioned wooden sculptured ornaments e.g father xmas on wooden stand, soldier nutcrackers and loads more that ive paid quite a bit for, really dont want to leave them behind but dont want to get stung for fumigation neither, theyve all been painted so their not bare wood.

Guest Scrappin' Julie
hi,

what do they mean by 'treated' wicker ? i have got a white whicker laundry basket Id like to bring - it was painted when it was bought so is that classed as treated? :goofy:

Thanks

Hazel.

If in doubt and you have the room - pack it! You aren't going to get much for it at a car boot sale so it's worth the risk.

Christmas decks are ALWAYS checked - and the boxes will be labelled as Christmas Decks for packing. I would see if you can "lose" them in with some general ornaments or pictures frames, etc - Again just weigh it up...do you want the chance of having them? (I would think that as they are lacquered/painted they are acceptable anyway ;) )

Also just to say we can over with Pickfords and they were fantastic - would recommend them both ends of the journey. :jiggy:

Guest needtogonow

A good tip is to put anything that could be slightly iffy in one box and clearly label it. The AQIS guy said that this was helpful and concentrated on going through this box and not really bothering with the others. Had a couple of little things removed but no cleaning costs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest draclee

hi all, i admit straight away that i havent done a lot of research in the area that i am about to ask you all as it is still early days for us. we gather from alot of people that it is better to take everything in a container as it is cheaper in the long run. can anybody tell me, can you put a car,motorbike and all of your house furnature in the same container? also how clean does the car and motoebike have to be? it would take gallons of jeyes liquid to clean them or am i just being stupid. cheers

chris

Guest kfoley0681

i guess it depends on who you get on the day some do some dont!personally we washed everything with a jet wash and by hand with jeyes fluid my husband did every tool individually and we got a bill for $50 for a brand new motor bike tyre that had been washed with jyes fluid there was no way it was dirty hadnt even been used and was still clean but not worth arguing over $50! someone we know got a bill for there golf clubs and argued the fact that they cleaned then billed but had not asked the owner if they wanted it done (other option is to destroy) so they let them off!!

The whole thing is a bit of a farce really...

We did the same thing, cleaned everything thoroughly for the container...the place stunk of Jeyes!!!!

When we arrived 5 years ago, my son was still in a buggy. The buggy's wheels were not clean...werent touched at all! Still had dirt and mud in the wheels...the buggy went on the plane at heathrow and come off Adelaide...

At immigration we were asked if we were emigrating...yep we were, and was told to go straight through...

So off went our buggy, with its wheels still dirty, out of the airport and onto Australian soil!!!!

It wasnt our intention to do this...it dawned on us afterwards that we went to all that trouble and not a thing was done to check the buggy over!!!!!!!!!!

BUT....still do the cleaning thing for your container!:v_SPIN:

Guest Chandan

Eeekk.. I had never heard of Jeyes before reading this post.. oh well I hope all our stuff is ok.. it arrives in a month. I put all of the wooden toys etc into one big box and marked it. All christmas dec's in their box and marked so hopefully nothing will be stopped.

on regards to some of the previous posts....

I am up there with you on the annoyance of paying out (huge) amounts of money to get things clean when time and effort has already been put into cleaning them yourselves, but there is a reason why these things need to be done. Australia is underneath Maylasia and other countries where they're rules of products arent so strict.

I have worked in a house where the whole house was infested with moths, which came from a packet of rice noodles from a thai supermarket in the UK.

England is a pretty safe place, but a country with a past history of Foot and Mouth. Better to be safer than sorry..

As a Aussie/English (20 years in Australia and 12 years in UK) I am in love with both countries and would do anything I can to protect its Flora and Fauna...

So 'losing' a few things amongst other things is ideal but not sensible.. if in doubt really look in the items and ask yourselves if you really really want or need them

I have been here for over a month and have found that I miss my things that are being shipped over but I could live without them..

A handy man that is fixing a few snags in our house is from the UK and he told me I'd be holding a Garage Sale a few days after my shipment arrived and wonder what I was thinking when shipping things over!

Good Luck and safe travels and crossing our fingers and for you. us and all to follow that we arent out of pocket too much through customs..

Declare everything.. then you cant be caught out.