When to book flights???????when to ship???

Guest russell 12

Guest russell 12

I am thinking our visas wont land back until perhaps jan time..and this is optomistic..we will then be looking to fly ASAP. Have you tended to book flights before your visa arrives and take a risk or would you advise to hang on and wait.:err: I know if you leave your flights last minute the price soars as the cheap seats are the 1st to go????

I have a Similar kind of question with regards to shipping..it takes about 6-8 weeks to ship all our wordly goods over but if we ship them as we leave then we are obviously going to be without for a jolly long time... not sure how to tackle this one and could do with some friendly advice....over to you guys;)

Thanks Louise and Craig

Guest graandjac

:skeptical:Hi Russell, all i can add is that ive seen a few people who have had to cancel flights because things wern't in place mostly not sold the house , not sure if this affects you ? but with the supposed delays you never know .

We want to get out of here ASAP same as you but you never know what might crop up and having to cancel flights would be a right pain in the ass. Cheers Graham

Meds tomorrow:goofy:

Guest Django
I have a Similar kind of question with regards to shipping..it takes about 6-8 weeks to ship all our wordly goods over but if we ship them as we leave then we are obviously going to be without for a jolly long time...

Swings and roundabouts. Whether you send everything early or wait 'til you go you will be without them for the same amount of time. ;)

hi ya all

i will send my stuff from my house before i go and just hope it gets thereafter i arrive, as for flights i know the cheap seat will go first and i wont go economy anymore as i found the last time i went i was stuck at the back of the plane so i have decided i will go first class sod the exspence i will be going with singapore airlines again...:o

alex

Guest dglamoore

We booked our flights online with Singapore (you can then chose where you sit on their seating planner and book your seats) the morning we got our visa granted. Booked the shippers the same time and had our stuff collected just before leaving.

By the time we had a stopover and found a rental we were only without stuff for about 4 weeks but muddled through - all part of the fun :huh: We found we still had to buy extra furniture as houses here are bigger so had something to make do til ours arrived.

If you don't have a house to sell or anything to hold you up guess there is nothing stopping you booking the flighs now as long as you are sure you will have your visa in time :v_SPIN:

Lisa:cute:

Guest Guzzler&Sas

i Craig and Louise

Just really echo what everyone elses says really. Be very careful about booking flights before your visa arrives, because you never know what might happen.

We regard to shipping your stuff, you actually have to be in Oz so that your container can clear customs, so you can't send your stuff so that it arrives the same time as you (also it may take up to eight weeks to get here), so there will be a delay of the container arriving and you will have to be already here. But you can beg, borrow still stuff on arrival anyway.

We brought airbeds because we knew we would be replacing all our camping stuff anyway and slept on those and did the kitchen out with plastic plates etc. It is all part of the fun like Lisa says ....

Good luck with it all

Regs

Sas

Guest ali@51

Hi

This is an on going debate in our house to! However as we are still a little iffy about the med's (meg's eye) we have decided to wait untill we have the visa in place and then set dates. As much as we would like to go as soon as we get the visa we figure we have got the 12 months from meds to get theire and a few weeks delay at this end whilst frustrating may be better in the long run. As for furniture margan is going on his own for 4-6 weeks with me and the kids folowing lator so if we send it just after hes gone me and the kid's should only be without for a couple of weeks.:v_SPIN:. As for Morgan hehehehe;)

Guest jen&ian

Hi,

We waited till we had our visas to book stuff, but then we weren't planning on rushing off as soon as they came through(got them back in April, not leaving till end of the month).

As for shipping we sent our stuff 6 weeks before our departure with the thought that we can borrow stuff easily from friends & rellies over here, and a massive shopping spree is planned for our arrival in Adelaide. We have kept back enough stuff to camp out so to speak at the new house till we can get sorted properly.

jen:D

Guest Django
margan is going on his own for 4-6 weeks with me and the kids folowing lator

How did he wing that one????:shocked:

So he gets a nice relaxed flight and you get screaming, bored kids and stress.

:idea: now I must speak to Tracey about something............................

Pete

Guest Rachel & Jeff

PSS told me they can't send our container until we have the visa but you will be without your stuff for the same number of weeks whichever way it is done.

I think we can probably cope better without in OZ if we rent fully furnished for a few weeks.

Rachel

Guest ali@51
How did he wing that one????:shocked:

So he gets a nice relaxed flight and you get screaming, bored kids and stress.

:idea: now I must speak to Tracey about something............................

Pete

He pulled the "Its not fair to drag the kids round doing all the boaring stuff and plus I can get so much more done on the job/ house front if I'm not worrying about you 4 all the time" line. Plus to be fair to him he is going to meet us in singapore all relaxed and non jet laged so I can through the kids at him and collaps:wacko: rather than us all getting their tiered ratty and horible. At least thats the theory:biglaugh:

Guest Russfamily

Its takes approx 8 weeks for a container to arrive at port in Adelaide. Also you are supposed to arrive before the container so you can be there if any problems crop up.

Hi

We booked our flights (in Aug 06 for Jan 07) before i had applied for my defacto visa (Oct 06) which should have taken 4-6 weeks. (Partner already had his visa)

But it was a close thing due to a medical condition and could have taken extra time (4-6 weeks extra) if visa application had to be sent to Sydney instead of London, but luckily it was processed very quick (nine days).

Very stressful, but all good in the end

Regards

Sandra

Guest russell 12
PSS told me they can't send our container until we have the visa but you will be without your stuff for the same number of weeks whichever way it is done.

I think we can probably cope better without in OZ if we rent fully furnished for a few weeks.

Rachel

Okay thats interesting, not realised that . Thanks everyone for your input..good advice and cant wait until it becomes a reality:biglaugh:.