Most reliable small/medium sized car?

Guest BenJay

Guest BenJay

As everybody else :) I need to buy a car to drive here and there in Adelaide.

I have browsed many websites but still cannot make up my mind what car should I choose.

I basically have only three criteria:

1) price level up to $15000

2) high marks on reliability benchmarks - some cars brake down less often and I would like one of those. But in case something happens then a car with less expensive spare parts is obviously better

3) big enough for two adults and two children but not too big to save on taxes.

My types for now are:

- Holden Commodore or Astra

- Ford Falcon

Are these cars reliable as this is the most important factor for me.

What do you think?

Guest Nick11

I have a mitsubishi colt. Great little car. I believe you can pick a brand new manual one up for about 15 grand. Never had a problem in the 3 years I've had it.

If you buy before the end of the month you'll pick up a great deal whatever car you buy as its the end of the financial year.

Guest kerfumph

My types for now are:

- Holden Commodore

- Ford Falcon

These are big cars, as in you can't really get bigger. And at 15k it will be a crappy old model. Think Vauxhall Omega:arghh:!

I'd search for a focus or better still spend a bit more on a Golf diesel. I'm sure I've seen 2nd hand ones for 18888.

Guest BenJay

Thank you for the replies so far.

I must say that it will take some time before I get used to the mileage and price level when compared to the European market. But someone on this forum explained that it was due to the distance to Australia and the import policy.

Well, in this case probably the diesel is the best bet. With no salt and little rain these cars should last longer than in Europe.

:idea: Maybe 250,000km in Australia is like 90,000uk in UK...

I have a mitsubishi colt. Great little car. I believe you can pick a brand new manual one up for about 15 grand. Never had a problem in the 3 years I've had it.

If you buy before the end of the month you'll pick up a great deal whatever car you buy as its the end of the financial year.

Like Nick11 said a Colt is great value 5 year warranty with 10 years on running (engine and gearbox) Also take a look at the Kia Rio a manual brand new for under 13000 drive away with 5 year warranty as well.

Chris