Air Freight

andi

Can anyone recommend a cheap but good air freight company.

Due to internal flights (stopping at Melbourne first) we only have 20kg of baggage allowance. I just cant wait for my container for the rest of my clothes and shoes etc.

It doesnt have to be door to door we are happy to drop off at a depot in Leeds or at Manchester airport and collect at Adelaide airport.

Fedex quoted over £1000 for 3 bags and then got down to £530, it would be cheaper to pay excess baggage on the flight!!

Thanks

Andrea

Guest Geordie Lad

Andi

I used Excess Baggage Company for getting an additional case sent over. It has cost £335 to date (awaiting to hear if Australian Customs have decided to have a look and if they decide they want to that will be another $100). Be careful if you do this as to what you put in it. I brought all of my shoes with me in my case as that is something that they will look for. Things that are outdoor that could have muck on will have them in your case straight away (same as your container) so I found it better to bring those things with me in my case. Fortunately work will reimburse me so I didnt shop around too much, may well be a cheaper option. The other thing with Excess Baggage is that their office is in London and they used UPS to collect it from my house.

I would not risk waiting to pay extra at the airport. I flew with Emirates from Newcastle to Sydney and had a 30kg allowance and anything over would have been £35/kg. I then used Virgin Blue from Sydney to Adelaide and they only had a 23kg allowance but only charged $10/kg over. In the end I brought 27kg with me, fine for Emirates and Virgin Blue didnt query it so got away with that one. Wouldnt have minded if they had charged $40 (£25) though!

My removal company in the UK (John Mason International) also did a service but I didnt know that, it was only when the guys were packing the container that one of them asked why I had not used them. May be a cheaper alternative??

Hope you manage to solve your puzzle!

PS - It has been a little annoying that my case was collected from my house on Tuesday 22nd June and its still not here, was quoted 10 days, now up to 16 days so get it collected in plenty of time!!!! :arghh:

Guest Geordie Lad

Andi

Just for some reassurance I can say that the lads who came and packed up my container from John Mason were excellent and did a fantastic job. Keep them full of coffee and biscuits!!

Doesnt appear cheap to get extra stuff here. I didnt really have a choice unfortunately as I had casual clothes and work clothes to fit in and just could not do it in 1 case so decided on the extra one. Think carefully about what you WILL need and what you can live without. A lot harder for you though with a family, I just had to look after myself!

Hope it all goes well, sure that it will!

Matt

Guest ben&sharon
Can anyone recommend a cheap but good air freight company.

Due to internal flights (stopping at Melbourne first) we only have 20kg of baggage allowance. I just cant wait for my container for the rest of my clothes and shoes etc.

It doesnt have to be door to door we are happy to drop off at a depot in Leeds or at Manchester airport and collect at Adelaide airport.

Fedex quoted over £1000 for 3 bags and then got down to £530, it would be cheaper to pay excess baggage on the flight!!

Thanks

Andrea

Try Voovit (VOOVit.com - Low Cost International Shipping) - my mum shipped over some excess baggage a few months ago and the process seemed pretty straightforwad with them. Another one that I've heard good things about is Seven Seas Worldwide (Excess Baggage Worldwide - Shipping Excess baggage and Excess Luggage Worldwide - Instant Free online quote)

Hi Andi,

We arrived Saturday 3rd. We were also limited to 20kgs each on Singapore as we had validated Visas 2 months ago. We used parcels2go on the internet to send 2 boxes, 12kg and 14kg direct from near Manchester to Adelaide.The courier was DHL, they both arrived within 4 working days at a cost of £215 including £500 insurance cover.

Worth a go as excess was £35 a kilo.

Cheers

Steve