Getting the balance right.

Guest nicandchris

Guest nicandchris

Is it more cost effective to rent a container to ship items such as tv, settee, bed and mattress, electrical goods and other furniture or to just come with out toothbrushes (with an 18 month little boy)? We have a new woodburner too which i would like to bring but we are worried that its not worth it? thanks nic and chris

Guest kfoley0681

bring everything! i got rid of so much stuff for our move thinking oh well just get new when we arrive but it is alot more expensive over here to buy things and yes there are shops that sell cheap sofas etc but you get what you pay for well my experience i was hoping for better quality than what i got for what i paied for lol anyway it cost us about £5500 for a 10ft container and they estimated we may need more so thats the reasoning in getting rid of things when actually we had room left in the container and we had put a motorbike and jet ski in crates in there to. i guess it depends on how much money you have but tsking into consideration renting or deposit on a house plus money to live off why you set up we spend $60k in the first 6 months!(with house deposit)

Guest nicandchris

hi there thanks for this advice. Yes thats what we thought, to get rid and buy new but as you say if the stuff is more expensive then it might be better getting a container. How much was it to ship your motorbike? DId it add significantly much to the price? Chris is considering bringing his much loved Honda but not sure if its worth it overall. Have you regreted moving over or have you found the move as worthwhile as you imagined? (i imagine?)

Guest kangomik

Bring as much as you can, we should have brought more.

Price up EVERYTHING in your house new. Then give it a cheap second hand value and half it for a sell price. minus this off your new price, thats what it will cost MINIMUM.

Compare this against the cost of a container. One should be well over 15K, the other well under 5K

Guest Sachertorte
Bring as much as you can, we should have brought more.

Price up EVERYTHING in your house new. Then give it a cheap second hand value and half it for a sell price. minus this off your new price, thats what it will cost MINIMUM.

Compare this against the cost of a container. One should be well over 15K, the other well under 5K

Please please take kangomik's advice- he knows what he is taking about :notworthy:

Cars/motorbikes need to undergo a lenghty registration process here- but don't let that intimidate you... there are mega bucks to be saved and you'll be thankful to have them in your pocket once you get here!!

S

Guest Stacey

Hi Nic and Chris

I second that advice bring as much as you can. We moved out almost three years ago and gave most of our stuff away or sold it at ridiculous prices when it was all perfectly fine and probably would have lasted a considerable time here.

To re-buy it all here has cost so much money!! If I had my time again I would bring everything including my car!!

Hope this helps!!

Stacey

x

Guest kangomik

I don't know about the car, because of the different models here, i would have brought all the motorbikes though.

It's all those small things that add up in the costs stakes.

Bring everything that isn't nailed down,we were put off from shipping our car with all the registration fees and import duty but now we are here i wish we had brought our car~we have another now similar model to what we had back in the uk but paid more for it. Just ask all the questions with whoever you choose to ship our things but think hard before you leave your car if the one you have is decent!

Is it more cost effective to rent a container to ship items such as tv, settee, bed and mattress, electrical goods and other furniture or to just come with out toothbrushes (with an 18 month little boy)? We have a new woodburner too which i would like to bring but we are worried that its not worth it? thanks nic and chris

Bring as much as you can mate:)........you can always sell it on here at a later date........;)

HG

Guest mOZzy

yes, deffo bring it all!!

you'll spend so much money on cars, rent, deposit, and other things!

you don't realise just how much it costs to set up a new household - and don't forget that houses here are much bigger though you need more anyways!

and all the little things!! just think kitchen untesils, pots pans etc ... add it all up!!

and don't forget the time running around and looking and buying!

you can always replace things a few years down the line when you are nice settled in :)

Guest nicandchris

thanks everyone for all the advise its really handy. Yes it sounds like bringing everything that we can is the better deal and Chris will be happy about his motorbike, we have an old volvo estate car here at the mo so dont think that it would be much good bringing it over no matter how much that we love it the old reliable thing! Can i just ask if everyone has been grateful that they moved no matter the cost for it.

Guest nicandchris
We left our wood-burner behind as ,of course, Australia's hot and we'd never need it here! Boy, do I miss it......

Bring it!!!

hi there, yes it took us ages to save up for it, i wanted an 'aga' one as they are so cute and little so i would hate to leave it behind especially as i hear that it gets cold over winter over there! Can i ask you a question? Ive been looking at Highbury as a place to live... we may have dogs with us and we have a little boy who will be 18 months by the time we get over next year, is it a good place to live? thanks nic