Calling all Carpenters!

Nicky

My OHs a carpenter and we've just been trying to work out timescales in relation to his tools arriving and him starting work. We were always lead to believe that shipping would take 7-9 weeks but on reading some of the other threads on here I realise that it may be somewhat longer!!

Unfortunately we can't send things ahead until the house is sold as all our money is tied up in it; even if it wasn't my OH will need his tools as he will be working pretty much until we go. As soon as the house is sold though, off goes the container and then so do we. How have other chippies managed in the interim period without any tools? It's been suggested to me to get his essential tools flown over. Obviously they will have to be prepared and packed accordingly and probably need a certificate for the contents. I'm not sure about this though so will have to do some digging around.

Guest The Dimmocks

My hubby brought a tool box with us on the plane, with mainly hand tools in, but suppose you could put whatever you wanted in. Had to put it in big cage at the check in desk, was a bit worried whether we would see it again as cage was a bit away from check in. It arrived safe. We got 40kg (although each bag can only way a maximum of 32kg due to H&S) of baggage allowance each with singapore airlines. We included the tool box in with our allowance.

Hope this helps, I know it not all the tools you OH may need but at least can bring the main ones.

Michelle

Thanks Michelle

I've just found an article on google called 'flying with tools of the trade' and it looks like hopefully we'll be able to sort something out. How did your husband manage about power tools? Did he have to wait for them to arrive on the container or did he buy new when you arrived?

Guest The Dimmocks

He shipped his power tools, but he working for a shop fitting company at the moment and only really needs his hand tools.

Changing the subject, we from West Midlands, hubby worked at Sealine for 14 years before leaving.

Guest The Dimmocks

Hi, it amazing how small the world is. He got offered a job before we arrived, sent out his CV to loads of companies. It was for a landscaping/building maintenance company. Turned it down when we arrived though as was to far up north for us. Applied for the job he at now, went for interview next day and got offered the job, it was advertised as a CNC operator, which is what he did at sealine for last 7 years of working there. The machine at his current job is about 10 years older than one at sealine so completely different. Jobs about but think it a case of not what you know but who you know here.

We're looking to go to the northern suburbs. I think we're at the stage where we need to start sending loads of CVs out. Did you just look on-line for different companies? We've heard that it's more a case of who you know, it'll be a good excuse for my OH to get down the pub and make a few contacts. Like he needs an excuse!!