driving licence

Guest draclee

Guest Carolandcraig

You can drive on a uk licence in oz, but dependant on what visa you hold determins how long you can drive for, but on a better note you just have to go to the local services centre to convert it to an oz licence anyway so no need to worry.

If your visa is for less than one year, they don't usually bother to change it over to an aussie one, but if you're coming longer term, then you can drive on your british one when you arrive, but should get it changed over to an aussie one fairly soon

edit to add: you british license is fine to drive on initially, but you can't use it as ID (go figure...) so getting it changed to an aussie one means you don't have to keep using your passport for ID the whole time. (or have no official ID for a few weeks while your passport is being renewed, as happened to me, was rather annoying).

Guest Guest75

If you are making the move over permanently you will have to get an Aussie driving licence within 3 months.

Easy to do.

Not like when I moved over!

I had to sit a test and take a test!!!!:arghh:

Guest LizzieL

We just got Aussie licenses. It cost $155 for 5 years. You can do it for more or less time but pay an admin fee every time you renew.

We took in passports and uk driving licenses. They also need proof of address so fortunately had rental agreement with us. Fill in a form and they take a picture of you. You get a provisional license with the full one sent in the post in a week or so.

Not like when I moved over!

I had to sit a test and take a test!!!!:arghh:

Was that to make sure your driving was a low enough standard to fit in with the locals, and check that you had mastered the arts of undertaking, tailgating, turning without indication and ability to drive whilst talking on a mobile?

Guest guest3462

Oooh hell we have been here 20 months and still have uk licences!! Bugger better get that sorted then eh??? We are still on temp 457 visa though and I'm sure you don't have to change for that but I might be wrong........

Guest tinkham_lee

Im on a working holiday visa and got mine changed, I would rather pay a couple of hundred bucks for a licence than risk the huge $6000 fine if you get caught with an English one when you should have an aussie one. I was told you can only drive on English one for 90 days, weather you are a temporary resident or not.

It is so easy to get an aussie one, all you have to do it go into the rego centre, show both parts of your English licence, pay the fee, get you photo taken and licence will be in the post to you. You keep your English one and there is no tests.

Also you cant use your English licence as ID