rego

Guest clare

Hope that somebody can help with this 1 we ran out of rego friday, knew about it anyhow not making excuses but had a really crap couple of days:sad: so slipped my mind completly to go to the post anyhow i rememberd saturday afternoon, and called the 7 day a week helpline, didnt talk to anybody but put in our numbers and card details. Anyway hubby this morning on his way home from night shift gets pulled he told them that i phoned yesterday and he said every1 sais that so didnt really believe him has anybody else used this service and does it work straight away as copper sais he'll be making a visit! just what we dont need:(

Don't worry, it'll be through in the post in the next couple of days. We renew ours online generally and only takes a day or so - but obviously nothing happens over weekends. If the police do follow it up, you'll have it by then. I guess it depends on their manpower if they bother to do so, but you've not done anything wrong, your OH was telling the truth, and you'll have the proof if they do check.

Put it out of your mind, it'll be fine I'm sure.

I've found myself in the same situation a couple of years back and the police officer was fine when I produced a receipt number and a copy of the online receipt, difficult I know if you have paid over the phone but keep a reference of the receipt number in the car should this happen again and they'll be no problem. The officer did also inform me to in future remove the expired label, even if you don't have a new one as it is also illegal to display expired labels and luckily I got a warning and not the fine for this.

I'm sure you will be fine.

thanks for that im worried tho because it was an automated call and didnt get a reference number im hoping it will be logged tho i really dont want a hefty fine as i believe i did what we thought was right an we removed the expired one will have to wait an see i suppose!!:confused:

well i called the service this morning and it hadnt gone though, i asked why and she couldnt tell me, she didnt know i asked what proof i had that i did call on sat she said none.

So im gonna call telstra that will be fun because i want proof i made that call i dont know weather to call the police station and explain or sit and wait 4 them to arrive feel like a bloody criminal just for forgetting rego for 24 hours not sure how much more of this we can take does any1 know how much a fine can be?

Uninsured or unregistered vehicles

Elements of the offence of drive unregistered

It is an offence to drive an unregistered vehicle. The offence is also committed if the owner allows an unregistered motor vehicle to "stand" on a road.

Due to the broad definition of a 'road', which includes any place the public has access to, many people unknowingly commit an offence. For example, riding an unregistered off-road motor cycle on a reserve may be an offence.

Penalty

A fine of up to $2500 [Motor Vehicles Act 1959 s 9].

Elements of the offence of drive uninsured

Another offence is to drive, or to cause to stand on a road (i.e. any place with public access), a vehicle that is not covered by compulsory third party insurance. This insurance automatically applies with the registration of a vehicle and continues until thirty days after the registration expires.

Penalty

A fine of up to $5000.

Strict liability offences

Both driving unregistered and driving uninsured are strict liability offences. It is no defence that the driver did not know that the vehicle was unregistered or uninsured. Therefore, before driving any vehicle, a person should always check that the vehicle has current registration and insurance.

Detection by speed and traffic cameras

From 1st June 2009 speed and red light cameras have been used to detect unregistered and uninsured drivers. Where a notice is issued as a result of detection by a speed or red light camera, any subsequent offences committed within 7 days of the commission of the offence are subsumed by the first offence (i.e. not counted as separate offences). This is in recognition of the fact that there will be a lapse of time between the commission of the offence and the driver being notified of it. However, where a driver is charged with an offence of drive unregistered or drive uninsured by expiation notice, any subsequent offences committed after this are counted as separate offences (i.e. not subsumed).

Guest Guest75
well i called the service this morning and it hadnt gone though, i asked why and she couldnt tell me, she didnt know i asked what proof i had that i did call on sat she said none.

So im gonna call telstra that will be fun because i want proof i made that call i dont know weather to call the police station and explain or sit and wait 4 them to arrive feel like a bloody criminal just for forgetting rego for 24 hours not sure how much more of this we can take does any1 know how much a fine can be?

You might even be deported!!!!!!

:biglaugh:

I know it's a pain when you cannot prove a thing but try not to worry too much!:cute:

Considering how many people drive around out here with no rego, no insurance, bare tyres - I even read about someone who had no glass in his windscreen and was driving with a molegrip on the steering column because he had no steering wheel - I am sure the police will be totally forgiving of you missing the deadline by a few days/weeks. They're not stupid and will be able to tell you're not a brazen criminal. I think the worst that will happen is they'll check, and if you haven't got the rego in your hands, give you 48 hours to bring your documentation along to a local policestation, check it then and then forget all about it.

Please don't worry - I work on the basis of not wasting energy worryng about something you can't change, and you've done everything you can now, so don't suffer any more stress.

Sending you virtual hugs anyway!

Clare if the officer hasn't been round to get you yet, he probably won't bother. The police here are ticket obsessed so the fact that he didn't give you a ticket at the time, telling you it was your obligation to prove you had purchased the Rego on said date and time. This makes me think he/she will not be bothering you. Just make sure Rego is now up to date and that the correct sticker is showing in your car. As for contacting the station, I would definatley would NOT do this.

Oh you poor thing, really feel for you. I am sure your nan is looking down on you and sending you her love. If you can, try and go somewhere peaceful and spend some time just sitting, remembering her and thinking about her. It will hurt, I know, but you need some "you" time, perhaps in a park, at the beach, wherever you can get some peace and quiet to just think about some good stuff, and the good memories you have of your nan.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah well jut had a call from a lovely copper!! the rego wasnt put on til the monday and now he is giving us a fine for $288 lovely! just what we bloody needed:arghh: seriously questioning why we did this move as it seems totally unfair were not criminals and what i have seen in the 3 months weve been here they chasing the wrong people seriously ****** off still im glad he phoned and didnt come round a that would have frightened the kids

just received my renewal letter in the post it says nothing about concequences driving un registered. only that you cant drive with an expired rego displayed. You poor thing. I would chase up Telstra to get a statement. you can drive up to 90 days without displaying your new reg.. hoping the copper wont do the leg work.. good luck and hope you manage to scrape through!

Ah well jut had a call from a lovely copper!! the rego wasnt put on til the monday and now he is giving us a fine for $288 lovely! just what we bloody needed:arghh: seriously questioning why we did this move as it seems totally unfair were not criminals and what i have seen in the 3 months weve been here they chasing the wrong people seriously ****** off still im glad he phoned and didnt come round a that would have frightened the kids

Whata p*** take. Hope that with proof from Telstar you can get the fine over turned.

Hope that somebody can help with this 1 we ran out of rego friday, knew about it anyhow not making excuses but had a really crap couple of days:sad: so slipped my mind completly to go to the post anyhow i rememberd saturday afternoon, and called the 7 day a week helpline, didnt talk to anybody but put in our numbers and card details. Anyway hubby this morning on his way home from night shift gets pulled he told them that i phoned yesterday and he said every1 sais that so didnt really believe him has anybody else used this service and does it work straight away as copper sais he'll be making a visit! just what we dont need:(

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! I ran out on Friday too and I completely forgot until you read your post. I'm sure you will be fine. I however wouldn't have! :arghh:

Guest WhatNow?

When you receive your renewal, just go online and renew it asap - I've just done that and it is SO easy. The address and the details are on your renewal notice, it takes literally 30 seconds, you can do it at any time 24/7 and you have evidence that you have done it immediately. My new rego sticker arrived within a week but I carried a printout of the renewal confirmation in the car just in case. Not worth risking a fine for less time than it takes to post on on PIA!

You will be fine Clare.

You were unlucky with the fine,it just happens anywhere in the world.

You have so much to look forward here so please don't let your early and hard first few months cloud your future here.:cute:

Summer is coming!!!!:jiggy:

When you receive your renewal, just go online and renew it asap - I've just done that and it is SO easy. The address and the details are on your renewal notice, it takes literally 30 seconds, you can do it at any time 24/7 and you have evidence that you have done it immediately. My new rego sticker arrived within a week but I carried a printout of the renewal confirmation in the car just in case. Not worth risking a fine for less time than it takes to post on on PIA!

I did try online and it wouldnt accept it

Sorry you lost your nan and its a sad time for you xx.

But why do you question your move here just cos you have a fine?? my gasbill came in higher than it did in the UK does that make me question why I moved here? Would you be moaning at the system if you forgot to pay you car insurance or tax if you was in the UK and got pulled over?? How does the cop know your not a criminal they dont have big signs over there heads saying "I'm a crim come and get me"

Sorry if my post is gunna have some people upset but the best thing you can do is pay the fine and pay as soon as the renewal comes in xx