Shipping car - do I need an agent in Adelaide?

Guest MikeBanks

Guest MikeBanks

Hi - shipping car soon. I've got a variety of quotes including some offering the services of an agent in Adelaide to take care of customs clearance and the like. These agents fees amount to several hundred pounds per vehicle. Has anyone managed this without an agent? How difficult is it? Do I need an agent? Can't decide between ro-ro and container - apart from price difference what are the pros and cons?

Hi - shipping car soon. I've got a variety of quotes including some offering the services of an agent in Adelaide to take care of customs clearance and the like. These agents fees amount to several hundred pounds per vehicle. Has anyone managed this without an agent? How difficult is it? Do I need an agent? Can't decide between ro-ro and container - apart from price difference what are the pros and cons?

Have you read the following as I think it explains everything you need to do, a very helpful document on importing a vehicle to Australia.

Importing a Car to Australia | Moving to Melbourne

Guest WhatNow?

The agent my company employed saved me more than his fee by giving me a really low valuation that resulted in a $1500 refund of Duty and GST. Your car has to be transported from the ship to Customs when it arrives and you will not be given access to it until it has cleared customs. Someone has to value your car for Duty and GST and you have to pay the amount due before you are allowed to remove it from the bonded area, so you will need an agent to oversee that part of it anyway. This part is not something you can do yourself.

I have a document that I can send out to anyone interested in how the process works - if you Pm me with an email address I will send it to you.

Guest KevnCarol

Hi,

As above I had my car delivered last month all went well, can explain more with agent and shipping details costs etc either e-mail me or call 045 112 1599.

Happy to help.

Kev