Import duty for Xmas gifts to UK

Guest rowy

Discovered today that we might be paying import duty on xmas gifts to go home?? Dont want my relatives fitting the bill the other side. Have read the HM Rev site, but so confusing. Has anyone any experience in this?? Please advise...Penny :goofy:

Guest tinkham_lee

Yes it happened to me just last week. Sent presents for family to my mum for her to hand them out, thought it would save on postage, total value of presents were about $200, my mum had to pay £45 before royal mail would deliver the parcel to her. The import duty fees were about £20 the rest was royal mail handling fees for holding the parcel for 2 days and sending my mum a letter.

as I understand it, if the value of the parcel is £40 or less there are no import duty fees.

However last year we did the same with about £400 worth of presents, sent them all to my mum to hand out, and guess what, NO import duty fees.

I guess the HMRC must be short of cash this year. And yes, the website is as much use as a chocolate teapot.

Hope that helps

Oh just remembered. If there are import duty fees you can pay them online for your family. They just need to give you the reference number that is at the top of the letter, go to the royal mail or parcel force website and there is a link on the first page to pay the customs fees.