Fishing stuff... how clean?

Hazel M

Hi guys,Not much of a fisher myself but my hubby has a few bits that he is going to pack into our container and has asked how clean the things have to be. He has cleaned the rods and reels but asked me also to find out if there is anything else he needs to be aware of with regards to shipping his fishing bits n bobs and anything that might pose a problem with customs on arrival.Thanks in advance

Hi guys,Not much of a fisher myself but my hubby has a few bits that he is going to pack into our container and has asked how clean the things have to be. He has cleaned the rods and reels but asked me also to find out if there is anything else he needs to be aware of with regards to shipping his fishing bits n bobs and anything that might pose a problem with customs on arrival.Thanks in advance

We brought all our golf gear except trollies and it was spotless as they view some things with greater scrutiny. Golf shoes were 'micro cleansed' by taking out the cleats. Bags were cleaned and left to hang upside down for two days to get any matter out.

My tools (DIY) were nearly all put in the dishwasher and dried, polished and lightly sprayed with WD40 and wrapped in kitchen paper etc.

Better safe than big bill at the other end:arghh:

Cooler

Guest Nicky&Andy

we were advised by shipping to wipe rods in jays and put in a plastic drain pipe and seal the ends, clearly mark fishing rods on outside, we brought 4 small rods in our case a priest and a few other bits, they didnt even check our luggage, we were told to go straight through, andrew wished he had tried to bring his big collection of flies,but then if he did they might have gone through everything,

we did have boys scooters in the cases didnt bother to clean them as they were using them up to the day we left, weather we were just lucky

our container has been delayed is now due 19th nov hopefully, so will let you now how the rods got on through customs

my advice to anyone is send your stuff early so its here when you arrive , no fridge washer beds chairs makes the moving process alot harder, espically if you are on a buget

Thanks for that. You were lucky with the scooters then too, good for the children!

Hope your other bits and bobs get through ok too.

Good advice about the shipping too, I think we'll be without stuff for about a month which will be a bit of a challenge, but we are going to buy a fridge over there and a kettle and toaster, so will just be eagerly awaiting our washing machine and bed - will feel like Christmas again when it arrives!

Hazel.

Thank you! It will certainly be a memorable one :-) Just a shame the childrens xmas stockings will be a bit on the light side this year. Trying to get mainly practical things that will be of use over there that can go in their suitcases. May start another thread for suggestions LOL!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

What about bringing in wooden carvings and painting frames? We have some lovely Afrcan artwork and carvings and would like to bring them with us. Any advice will be appreciated

Thanks

R

As long as its treated wood (not raw wood) then its fine.

Hope that helps. Our stuff left for the ship on 22nd!!!

Hazel.

I treated some wood the other day, took it to the cinema.

Aye, treat it and it will be fine. I know a story of someone who thought that wood had to be untreated and rubbed a dining table and chairs down. Had to re varnish it :arghh:

Cooler

Guest KevnCarol

Unless there has been a recent change, the customs site states no fishing gear to be brought in, I may be wrong but as a result I left mine in the UK.:sad:

Shipping company also advised not to bring that kind of stuff, golf trolly came through with flying colours :jiggy:as it was cleaned to look like new, wheels removed,placed in sealed bags etc.

Worth looking at the customs site, could save you both time and money.

cheers

Kev

Guest Nicky&Andy

hi spoke a while ago,our shipping came, the rods were all there, they had been checked though. oh wishes he brought more of his tools over, my advice is bring as much as you can,fishing reels are pretty expensive here , bring yours just remove the line.lots of other stuff i didnt realise was packed turned up, some of it hadnt been cleaned.

hope this helps