Shipping - is this true?

Guest pompep

Guest pompep

Hi guys, I'd love to get some opinions from you on something I was told by a removalist we had around today for our move back to the UK.

He told us that if we didn't take out insurance... and the ship sank... we would be partially liable. This is an 'old, little known maritime law'.

Is it? Or are we the ones being taken for a ride, instead of our stuff?

Guest Youngy65

Sturg is correct - the shipping line spreads the cost of the ship going down. Total Loss - aka - Restricted Cover Insurance would cover you against this. Should be about 2% of value - right?

cheers

Guest pompep

wow - amazing thing. I had no idea about that - I'm wondering if it's cheaper (or even possible) to insure through a third party rather than the removalists' own insurance.

If anyone has done that successfully (and saved money in the process), please let me know! We're getting another couple of quotes and will post them on here, for a share of a container.

Guest guest3462

We're shipping with pickfords and all in for a shared container with gold insurance and mould cover it was £185. This is our second lot of shipping due to the sale of our UK house. Last time we insured but didn't claim for anything and we havd stuff broken and stuff missing, but this time if anything is wrong we will defo be using it! In fact to be honest the stuff we are bringing I kind of hope that some of it is broken just so we can get new for old!! lol!

Guest Chandan

we had a nightmare with our shipping company , but one thing i remembered them saying was that if the ship sunk we would get the value of our insured things back and the cost of the removal fee refunded...

Though like getting blood out of a stone just to get our stuff here I wouldnt really want to see the excuses they give to get out of paying..

ps. my hubby does removals.. The offsiders,packers,drivers arent the ones to find out all the correct info. I'd double check with the removal companies office.