Dogs and Cats

Guest tezza

Hi

we have 3 cats and 1 golden retriever that we would bring to Adelaide with us, has anyone else taken their pets? What are the procedures/can we drug the dog up? not sure if he would make the flight. How long and where do they have to stay in quarantine?

Any info would be great.

Thanks

Ian 40

Teresa 34

Brooke 7

Paige 4

Oakley (dog) 5

bob, jake and john (cats) 10 ish

Have a read of this thread. I posted quite a bit if info to it

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/welcome/21008-how-much-does-cost-dog-fare-adelaide.html

Also a few other threads in recent times on taking pets. Have a look on the forum :)

And no, you can't drug your dog. They won't allow it nor will he be able to fly if he is drugged up. Its a risk to the dog to drug him and send him up at altitude.

Your dog will be fine. May not like it much but once in a crate in a warm hold he'll bed down for the duration I am sure. You can always get the crate in advance and get him to spend time in it before he has to fly over. There are natural herbal remedies you can use to help calm him. Also some shipping companies use a natural scent that has a calming effect on the animal in the crate.

With regards to where to quarantine, choice of 3, Sydney, Melbourne or Perth. 30 days. Around $800 for a dog iirc.

It'll cost to bring over 3 cats and a dog. The dog alone I'd be expecting around the £3000 mark (if not more) and that might not cover/include vets fees before departure nor the quarantine fees or transporting from quarantine site to Adelaide. Cats won't be as expensive per animal but I'd expect it to clock in around the same amount for all 3. I am not even sure you can bring 3 with you. You'll have to check.

Have a look on the official Aus gov website about the pet thing. They'll have it all there.

Category 2: Minimum 30 days in Australian quarantine - DAFF

Personally, I'd consider leaving the cats behind and rehoming them via a rescue. Especially if you are going to be moving a bit till your find a permanent home (ie going from one rental to another and so on). I know others on here have brought their cats with them though. But 3 of them would be a lot to cope with in such a different setting.

Hi Snifter, Thank you for all of that. It is a great help. You might be right about the cats, i love them to bits but they are getting on a bit and not sure if they would make it.

Thanks for the info about the dog tho as he is defo coming with us. I will check out the link you sent me now.

Thanks again.

Guest lorraine1

Hi

I live in Cairns at the minute but hoping to move down to Adelaide in july/august, I brought 2 dogs and a cat from the Uk, the oldest is a rottweiller so similar size to yours and he was 9 at the time and he coped ok the dogs stayed in the same kennel at sidney which was good but the cat was on her own. I will find all my paper work after and post it on for you we came out in feb 09 so shouldn't have changed to much. I also got some people called dog walkers to check on them, reasonably priced, they were brilliant emailed me photos went and got some tinned food etc and visited cat as well. I'll get it all on asap for you but the have all settled wonderfully especially the cat who wouldn't leave the house in the uk now goes for walks with the dogs

Hi Tezza,

We're actually in the process of bringing our dog over from the UK. It isnt cheap! He is a big black labrador so same/similar size to yours. The vet fees for all the pre shipping blood tests and vaccinations have cost us around £400 ( this includes the pet passport which you will need if you decide to go back to the UK otherwise he will need to stay in UK quarantine for 6 months!) The shipping costs are around £2700 with Golden Arrow Shippers ( lots of positive reviews on PIA which is why we chose them, they were also the cheapest). Quarantine costs in Melbourne (which will be the closest to Adelaide) are $39 per day for 30 days, you also have to pay for vet checks following quarantine period so he can be released - so budget around $1300 for quarantine fees which you will pay when you collect your dog from the quarantine centre.

As I said it isnt cheap, but I think its worth it . I know I have really missed my dog in the 2 months we've been in Adelaide and any amount would be worth it to bring him over but everyone is different.

If you need any other info just ask. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi China,

I dont know how he will cope, he's still in the UK at the moment, he flies out next Tuesday! I will be so excited when he is finally on his way, I have missed him so much!:jiggy:. Im sure he will cope pretty well with the flight, Im not so sure about the quarantine period though. Still at least its only for 30 days. We are planning to drive to melbourne the day before he is released and will stay the night in a hotel before collecting him and driving home, will be a very long journey!

Tracey x

Guest mimasawrus

Hi There We brought three dogs with us when we came to Adelaide in October 2009. 1 Dachshund (a bit Disabled) 1 Jack Russel Terrier and 1 Greyhound. It cost us in the region of 9000 to 10000 pounds, but it was so worth it. We could never have left them behind. We used a company called Petair to ship them and they were fantastic all blood tests done at home etc. They stayed in quarantine at Melbourne and the staff there were fantastic. I phoned eveyday and they were always lovely. They gave great care to my wobbly dachshund and none of them seemed stressed about the flight or quarantine. We have settled here really well having our dogs with us. Our greyhound has since passed on to the big kennel in the sky but he loved his time in Oz and we were so glad we brought him with us even though he only spent just over a year in Oz with us. He was quite old and I would say that the flight and quarantine did not effect him at all. He just took it in his stride. Hope this helps

• 4 months later...

Hi can anyone help,we are trying to organise shipping 2 cats over to Adelaide we have decided on golden Arrow shippers the only problem we have come across so far is that Quarentine need a Australiain address and contact number,we don't have one as we cannot book anything until we know when the cats will be travelling !!:arghh:

Hi can anyone help,we are trying to organise shipping 2 cats over to Adelaide we have decided on golden Arrow shippers the only problem we have come across so far is that Quarentine need a Australiain address and contact number,we don't have one as we cannot book anything until we know when the cats will be travelling !!:arghh:

I recall reading about this problem over on PIO. Do you have temp accomadation sorted yet? I think people gave that or an addy of a friend already there or some such.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest moshi1

hello< i hope you dont mind me asking but how much will it cost for 2 cats....we have 2 cats who we want to take to adelaide but we are not sure whether we can afford it.

thanks

hello< i hope you dont mind me asking but how much will it cost for 2 cats....we have 2 cats who we want to take to adelaide but we are not sure whether we can afford it.

thanks

Hi we are shipping 2 cats with Golden arrow it's costing us about £1800 including import permits and all vet costs,quarantine is charged separate in Melbourne and is about $50 a day for the two of them for 30 days.

thanks

I'd always suggest phoning up or emailing and getting some quotes as prices do vary.

As you are Bristol way you could try Whitehouse kennels http://www.whitehouse-kennels.co.uk/ A local kennels who have a long history of pet shipping overseas. Lovely people, can't speak highly enough of them.

Be aware if you want to rehome your cats you need to do this well in advance of leaving. Don't leave it till a month before you leave. Reason being rescues are overflowing, and I mean overflowing with cats and kittens being handed in, abandoned and so on. Many are so full there is a wait list for hand ins to rehome. If you know you are leaving in a year say, put your name on the wait list of a few rescues soon (now even) and as soon as they have space for them, make use of it. Don't wait till the last few months as you could be stuck and fretting over their rehoming. Not fair on the cats then.

If you decide to take them and they are going to go outdoors ensure you are informed of all the possibe pitfalls of cat owning in Aus. There are some threads on the rules and regs, health complaints etc, on the forum if you search.

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone.............

First time at posting somthing so here goes............. we are having the same problem with our dog, weve got as far as having the microchip put in but have hit a dead-end with the next step (applying for the application). It says about the importer needs an address in australia and phone number, well as we don't know a single soul in OZ, we are very stuck.

Have most of you guys flown over, then arranged for your pets to go over once you have an address????

Would really appreciate any help, as im thinking im not the only one with this problem i hope

cheers x:unsure: