Kuala Lumpur

Flutterby

Hi,

Just want a bit of advice - my little sister is travelling out to Adelaide on Malaysian Airlines to stay with us on a Working Holiday visa in the next few weeks. She has never travelled on her own before and is a little nervous about transferring through KL. Is it fairly straightforward to transfer from the plane from London to the plane to Adelaide? - she arrives in and departs from Terminal M. I have only travelled through Singapore so can't offer much advice to her apart from general advice.

Any guidance would be welcomed - also what facilities are there? Are there free internet terminals like at Changi?

Many thanks, I don't want her to worry all the way from London....

The shuttle trains from the satellite terminals, where the planes arrive and depart from are not running at the moment. They have been replaced by buses while maintenance takes place. However it is still very straightforward. Once at the main terminal, there are duty free shops, eateries etc. There is a starbucks, Hungry Jacks and a few asian style restaurants. There are a few internet terminals, but these are not free and take malaysian money. You get about 10 mins for 50 sen. Once her plane is ready for boarding she takes the bus again out to the satellite terminals. If she gets stuck, they all speak English, especially at the info desks so she can ask for help. It's a big airport but it's nowhere near Changi's setup. A year ago the internet was free, but you couldn't access things like facebook, now you pay and you can. Most of the toilets are Western style and clean.

Thank you so much - so all planes depart and arrive from the satellite terminal? She only has 2 hours between flights so maybe she would be better staying put until her flight is due to board - she is not very confident about the whole transfer bit so I don't want to confuse her about bussing into the main terminal and back again....

That's a good point about the toilets - in Malaysia most toilets will have a mixture of Western and Malaysian style toilets. Watch out for these as you have to squat on the floor over a hole and there is a hose to wash it afterwards. So if you get there and the only cubicles empty are the squatting ones, don't assume that they are all like that, wait for one of the Western style ones to become vacant!! Obviously if you are desperate you will use anything!

We were in Kuala Lumpur in 2008 and I found the airport to be very spacious, modern, well equiped and very easy to get around. The shops will take any currency and give you change in Ringgit.

Guest Mitchell
Thank you so much - so all planes depart and arrive from the satellite terminal? She only has 2 hours between flights so maybe she would be better staying put until her flight is due to board - she is not very confident about the whole transfer bit so I don't want to confuse her about bussing into the main terminal and back again....

2 hours is nothing. By the time shes off one plane and nipped to the loo they will be calling her flight to the gate. Unless she's delayed like I was then she'll have to run!

Guest panther

Yhe KL Airport is very easy to navigate and every thing is written in English and i am sure the Flight from the UK is in the same pier as the flight on to Adelaide and it takes 7 hours, yet each time we have used it the flight time was a lot less.

Panther

Short Term Affordable Fully furnished Accomodation

hi

I came over last week on a WHV!

I did the same trip last week with Malaysian, KL is fine there is places with free wireless internet and I never left the terminal just walked to the next gate. its a nice clean airport easy to navigate.

Beaware that 20kg bag limit is all they allow and it is £32kg per kg above i had to do some unpacking at checkin lol!

hope helps