Plumbing Tools and shipping

Guest jlr248

Guest jlr248

My OH is a plumber and has loads of tools which we will be shipping. His worry is that while we are waiting for container to arrive he is going to have no tools and therefore may not be able to work. He does intend working for a company. Can any plumbers who have gone through this offer any advice or opinions. He will need to be working ASAP! Also he has a high pressure water jetter and drain camera, is it worth bringing those or selling them here? Any help would be really appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest william buchanan

We are in the same position my OH is also a plumber/bathroom installer so has many tools. Don't know what to do. I do know that they have to be thoroughly cleaned which in itself is a nightmare. Hopefully someone will help us out.

louisa

One option is send them early so you have them here for your arrival.

If you would like to do this get in touch with me i could help you out.

Some of the tools are no good over here so I can tell you more if you need this info.

It may take a couple of weeks for him to get work so you may not need them so dont panic!

Rob and Mel

I find tools here very expensive, in fact ive imported most of my tools from the UK because I cant get good makes at a decent price over here. I also find that much of my equipment is not available in SA, only VIC and NSW.

For me its cheaper to bulk buy from the UK because its a consumers market and easy to find deals.

I recenly got a quote from Sydney for a certain item of equipment for $2600, after shopping around on the web i managed to import it for 820 Pounds inc tracked postage. Exact same item.

Australia needs more competition.

Guest jlr248
One option is send them early so you have them here for your arrival.

If you would like to do this get in touch with me i could help you out.

Some of the tools are no good over here so I can tell you more if you need this info.

It may take a couple of weeks for him to get work so you may not need them so dont panic!

Rob and Mel

Thanks for your reply Rob. Not sure about OH sending tools early as he needs them at this end too, but if he did, can you recommend the best way to do it? We do have friends in Adelaide so we would have an address to send to. Would be very interested to know any additional info concerning what tools to bring and those that wont work. Also if there is anything worth stocking up on in UK.

Really hope we can find work asap and plan to start looking from here immediately once we get our visa, although i realise a lot of employers say "come and see us once your here" .

ANother question, I thought that if you were working for a company you could work before without a licence, is this right? The licencing rules are confusing me (it doenst take much!)

Thanks again

Thanks for your reply Rob. Not sure about OH sending tools early as he needs them at this end too, but if he did, can you recommend the best way to do it? We do have friends in Adelaide so we would have an address to send to. Would be very interested to know any additional info concerning what tools to bring and those that wont work. Also if there is anything worth stocking up on in UK.

Really hope we can find work asap and plan to start looking from here immediately once we get our visa, although i realise a lot of employers say "come and see us once your here" .

ANother question, I thought that if you were working for a company you could work before without a licence, is this right? The licencing rules are confusing me (it doenst take much!)

Thanks again

You can be employed by a company unlicenced, but only as a trade assistant (TA)

The money isnt great though, basically a labourers wage.

You will also need an industry white card ( OH&S ) if doing construction. PEER on Port Road will give you more info about licencing and OH&S requirements.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

You could send them air frieght just before you fly then pick them up at Adelaide airport. We did this with a guitar and a bike that hubbie and son couldn't be without!!

The bike and guitar flew via Singapore a route we couldn't get for ourselves at the time we flew via KL (again).

Think we dropped them off 2 days before we flew then collected them after customs clearance a couple of days after we landed. Can't remember the name of the company but there are loads!! Just google and shop around.

Guest jlr248
You could send them air frieght just before you fly then pick them up at Adelaide airport. We did this with a guitar and a bike that hubbie and son couldn't be without!!

The bike and guitar flew via Singapore a route we couldn't get for ourselves at the time we flew via KL (again).

Think we dropped them off 2 days before we flew then collected them after customs clearance a couple of days after we landed. Can't remember the name of the company but there are loads!! Just google and shop around.

Thanks for this info - I hadnt thought about air freight. So i assume it only takes about a week. Was it very expensive?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jlr248

OH is a plumber and we have heard that he will need to have a First Aid ticket to work in Oz. Is this right? If so can he obtain one here in UK and will it be recognised in South Australia? Is any time of first aid acceptable or does it have to be a particular one? Lots of questions about the same thing really! Thanks