What Happens?

Misplaced

Okay as we have made the decision to migrate and for me to go home I am trying to plan things out and was wondering about shipping - when you have sold your house and then get everything ready for going what's the average time scale for shipping i have read 8 weeks but is this accurate.

Also, if you needed to keep your wordly goods in storage until you found a suitable place either to rent or buy in Oz - 1) is it possible 2) how much? and 3) how long can it be left in storage?

Don't worry there will be plenty more questions as we are targeting July next year to move after my eldest has done his GCSE's

Thanks

Craig

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here

Time scale - ours took 8 weeks, as predicted by our shipping company. I dare say there are some horror stories out there, but no reason to assume it will happen to you.

Storage. Yes it is possible. 2 names for starters - Kennards and Ustoreit. Figure out how many cubic metres you need and go on to their website. They offer different size units. I believe pricing is on their website, but if not just send them an email for a quote.

Guest The Dimmocks

Our shipping left our old house on the 21st January and arrived at our new address on the 24th March, so 9 weeks ish. We used Pickfords and all went well.

Michelle

Hi and welcome.

In answer to your questions

1) I'd suggest calling the companies or reading their websites to see if they offer storage. I would think it varies from company to company. Or you could call some storage facilities in your local area and get quotes.

2) We recently moved into a rental and our next move will be to Adelaide next year. I'm currently writing a list with 'take', 'leave' or 'buy out there'. As time has gone on I've made the take list shorter and the leave list longer which is good. I've also checked the cost of replacing like for like and to work out what will be more cost effective for us in the long run. Our recent move saw us throw out some furniture and stuff. And we have unpacked everything and reboxed up 4 or 5 boxes of stuff now. If its not been used or missed we shall ditch it before we move.

We had planned to use an entire container but am now realising I won't want/need one so we are planning to use a shared container (this takes a bit longer to ship usually as they have to wait to fill it). I'm being pretty ruthless and casting a critical eye over all our furniture as to if we will really have a need for it once there. Some of it is old and not worth shipping. Also things like wardrobes are bulky and many places have built in ones in Aus. We plan to use a couple of cheap canvas ones if need be to begin with. We are lucky as hubby has all his family there so we can borrow stuff if need be.

Our personal effects will mostly ship out. Although I have given away my entire CD collection and a huge pile of books. I finally put everything music wise onto my HB and the books, well, I've not read them in years and tbh I've just kept the ones I really *want* to keep. I am getting rid of clutter and things that have not seen use in the past year or longer.

So perhaps make a list, review it every now and again and really look hard at what you think you want to take. And if its really not seen any use in the past year or two then rethink about taking it. I want some familiar stuff around us furniture wise and we can't afford to replace like for like out there so won't compromise on leaving our bed and some other stuff behind. I don't want to buy cheap stuff just because when we have good quality stuff we can bring with us.

Flight wise, you can only really do this once you have your visas. And if you need to activate them on a trip or just go direct and stay. That will fall into place later I am sure.

Just to say I would have 12-13 weeks in my head from loading container to it clearing customs in Oz and being ready for delivery. It can be quicker but often companies quote the fastest possible timescale. There can be delays at the docks, ships can be re-routed and customs can take 2 weeks to clear it if they are busy. Usually cheapest to store with the shipping company but do shop around.

Insurance is always cheaper if you buy direct rather than through the shipper.

Guest Mitchell

Be prepared that your container can take a lot longer. If it's a part container you can wait till it's filled. Mine was a whole one even though I didn't fill it as my company paid. I missed the boat quite literally so my container got stuck in Southampton. I should point out that I left 3 weeks after getting my visa which only took a week so not much time for planning. By the time the container got here and cleared customs it was about 14 weeks! I ended up camping in my new house for some time. Make sure you discuss exactly when the ships leave and how long it will take when you're planning yours.

Thanks for that.

Now for some more questions

1) if we sell months before leaving does anyone know if the shipping firm in the UK will store our wordly goods until we fly?

2) how did you all plan the sale of house to shipping and then to flights?

We just got a quotation from Doree Bonner International and they would store contents for up to a month free of charge if you gave them the removal contract. Price was the same as other quotes as well.

Hi we shared a container and there was no problem with it getting filled and leaving uk but it went to Perth first and sat there for nearly 4 wkd before getting to Adelaide, very frustrating but we were told it could take up to 3 months and it did. Good luck with everything. P

We used Anglo Pacific, who shipped to International Transport Svcs in Adelaide. We were shipping two tea chests, they collected them at the end of November, didn't ship them until Mid January and they were eventually delivered at the end of March, so yeah. Can take a while :/