Qantas vs Singapore Airlines... Opinions?

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi all

Am I right in thinking that from the UK -> Adelaide you pretty much have the choice of:

Manchester -> Munich -> Singapore -> Adelaide (Singapore Airlines)

or

Heathrow -> Singapore/HK -> Melbourne/Sydney -> Adelaide (Quantas)

Also, Quantas vs Singapore.... any experiences/comments?

Thanks bigtime, guys

RTL

:jiggy:

Guest moviemummy
Hi all

Am I right in thinking that from the UK -> Adelaide you pretty much have the choice of:

Manchester -> Munich -> Singapore -> Adelaide (Singapore Airlines)

or

Heathrow -> Singapore/HK -> Melbourne/Sydney -> Adelaide (Quantas)

Also, Quantas vs Singapore.... any experiences/comments?

Thanks bigtime, guys

RTL

:jiggy:

Hi

Can't you go Heathrow -> Singapore -> Adelaide with Singapore airlines? We have been looking into that. Last time we went Edinburgh -> Heathrow ->Singapore -> Melbourne -> Adelaide. OMG not to be recommended!!!:shocked: Was awful. But as that was our first trip we didn't know any better. Lesson learned.

L x ;)

Guest tinkham_lee

We have flown.

Heathrow - Hong Kong - Adelaide with Cathay Pacific

Heathrow - Kuala Lumpur - Adelaide with Malaysian Airlines

Both airlines are great. I would recommend Malaysia over Cathay. Malaysian airlines have won skytrax awards and has the most legroom out of all the other airlines. They have shorter transfers and were cheaper too.

we have been looking at flights but we don't want a long stopover anywhere as we have 2 children, so just want to get there. If the stop over is for a few hours do you stay on the plane or do you get shoved into a room while they do the refueling.

Guest Adelaide_bound

I believe you aren't allowed to stay on a plane when they are refuelling due to H&S or some such stuff (in case it blows up or something probably), so will have to get off and trapse back on again - annoying, but a nec. evil of long haul travel.

Guest Ryan T. Lion
we have been looking at flights but we don't want a long stopover anywhere as we have 2 children, so just want to get there. If the stop over is for a few hours do you stay on the plane or do you get shoved into a room while they do the refueling.

Hi. I've never once stayed on the plane during a refuelling stop over, I think they restock with food etc also so apart from H&S with fuel matters - the passengers would be in the way.

I like the idea of getting off and stretching my legs for a bit, although some of the stopovers on the cheaper flights are a few hours. :huh:

You can do Heathrow - Singapore -Adelaide with Qantas (BA share often enough).

We did this last trip and had a few hours at Changi to shower, get some fresh air and let our son run off his energy before getting the onward leg direct to Adelaide.

You should also be able to go with Singapore airlines direct route also from London - Singapore - Adelaide.

If its a 45 minute stop for refuelling you are always asked to leave the plane. Some people are actually not going to come back and others will join. You get to amble round the terminal for the duration.

If you have a longer layover you will actually be changing flights and getting back on a different plane for the next leg.

Personally I'd always have a couple of hours at Changi (Singapore airport) for a shower, let the kids run round (they have plenty for kids to do, swimming pool, cinema, play areas, free use of computers and internet and so on) and then get a connecting flight. I hate the short stop for refuelling then being herded back onboard. I love the showers at Changi and sometimes even have a massage. Makes the last 7.5 hours flying much more bearable.

Also often the short stop flights for refuel only fly on down to Melbourne and you then have to change there, wait an hour or two for the connecting flight to then fly back up to Adelaide. Which is very boring and takes longer than if you had a couple of hours stopover in Singapore and flew direct.

O re Qantas v Singapore airlines

I've used Qantas a fair few times and tbh over the years the standard has slipped in some ways, improved a bit in others. Most airlines have made noticeable cutbacks, thinner socks, blankets, flight packs are much cheaper etc. The actual flight attendants have always been good when flying but I've found the ground staff more lacking. O and the kids buggy on board issue is a major minus for us. BA were great on the first leg, we took it on board, Qantas made us check it all the way through. I was not happy.

Singapore Airlines rate highly in my book but for some reason we didn't fly with them last time (I think it was more expensive by a fair bit so for a 4 week trip we went the cheaper Qantas option). I always find all the SA staff way nicer and more than happy to help.

Personally, if you want better all round service etc I'd say SA every time.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

We were tempted by Singapore Airlines, then I noticed the Qantas "Premium Economy" which would really work for us (medical issues mean keeping legs elevated as much as poss during flying) although it is quite a bit more expensive.....

Might look into whether Singapore can offer special seats for legroom.

Cheers all - lots to think about !

Ry.

Ok I flew back with Qantas in February. Flying there did the Ads - Sing - heathrow- Coprnhagen. Was not impressed with heathrow airport at all, Terminal 5 was ok ...ONCE you got through the screening gates, too few for transferring passengers.

Coming back I flew the shortest route possible.

heathrow-Bangkok 10 1/2 hours flight

Bangkok - Sydney 8 1/2 hours

Sydney - Ads 2 hours.

Time spent off plane in Bangkok about 1 1/2 hours

At Sydney check through the Qantas int to Qantas domestic transfer after immigration and they bus you to domestic terminal and take your bags.

Time in Sydney airport about 2 hours.

heathrow terminal 3 is awful, so overcrowded like a cattleyard. Bought something to eat and struggled to find somewhere to sit, not fun with heavy cabin luggage haha.

This is the shortest route available, all other routes have longer flight times and longer stops at airports.

Here's another tip ...on Qantas A380s seat 71D has no seat infront of it as this is where the crew quarters escape hatch is, so you get extra legroom without having to pay the exit row cost. You just have to pay the seat choice fee.

We were tempted by Singapore Airlines, then I noticed the Qantas "Premium Economy" which would really work for us (medical issues mean keeping legs elevated as much as poss during flying) although it is quite a bit more expensive.....

Might look into whether Singapore can offer special seats for legroom.

Cheers all - lots to think about !

Ry.

Be careful with premium economy, not all flights have it, so you might end up in normal economy for some of the legs while still being charged the premium rate. If you can get it, it is far more comfortable that economy (on BA anyway, haven't seen it on qantas). The seats are approx the size of short haul business class seats, so plenty legroom and a few extra inches of width, and proper arm rests.

With Singapore you can pay extra to get legroom seats (e.g. emergency exit rows) in economy. can't remember exactly what the cost is, but after you've booked the tickets, you can log in online and pick your seats. The special seats have 'P' on them, other seats are free to pick. Do bear in mind that you need to be fit and healthy enough to handle the emergency exit, so if you've got mobility problems you won't be able to sit there.

The special seats have 'P' on them, other seats are free to pick. Do bear in mind that you need to be fit and healthy enough to handle the emergency exit, so if you've got mobility problems you won't be able to sit there.

They also don't allow children in these seats I don't think, so if you're travelling as a family might be worth bearing in mind (I know we like to swap around when we travel together!)

Have flown with both, Singapore airlines was better as we stopped over , they gave us loads of Freebies whilst in Singapore, plus side its 12 hrs from LHR , then a night flight of only 6hrs from Singapore direct into Adelaide first thing in the morning, & if like us we slept all the way after a full day exploring Singapore. Great place to re-charge after the long haul from Lhr, especially if travelling with young children as we were, also a big difference was there new A380 upstairs kidz loved that. Quantas also have them. direct way , GLASGOW-LHR-SING-ADL.

Guest Guest5035

Think theres only 1 direct flight with Qantas from Singas into Adelaide once or twice a week, the rest go via Sydney/Melbourne. Singas fly direct in to Adelaide from Heathrow, far better airline. If you need a shower, lay down in Singas, try this

http://www.harilelahospitality.com/roomrates.htm

We used it flying back from London, costs about $65 aus for 6 hours, ideal after 13 hour flight.

Stevo

which ever airline - remember the swimming pool @ terminal 1 at Singapore airport - for a small fee ( appros Aus $20 - adult -not sure about kids ??) you get a locker, towels & shampoos etc provided - and a complimentary tea / coffee / soft drink - great for feshning up after a long flight - rather than shopping !!!

• 3 months later...
Guest loopylisa

Terminal 3 at Heathrow is quite horrid. I'm thinking of waiting later to clear security because spending 2-3 hours in there last time was agonising there is NOTHING to do and nowhere quiet to go I ended up with a throbbing headache before I even got on the plane. Qantas were a big dissapointment, after flying BA/qantas adelaide>singapore>heathrow in 99 decided to stay with qantas and it was rubbish. Delays, shocking food, air hostess flirting with male passengers loudly two rows behind me. So on the reccommendation of an well travelled aussie im going singapore air on my return to oz in 2 weeks

• 4 months later...
Guest jadunlop

We are flying with Singapore Airlines on March the 18th from Glasgow to Heathrow (BA) then Heathrow to Singapore (A380) then Singapore to Adelaide (A330). I thing we have around 5 hrs in Singapore so the swimming in Terminal 1 sounds good. If anyone else has some good ideas to kill some time there please let me know as my wife and I have 2 girls aged 7 & 5. The massage sounds good too!

This is going to be scrapped, if hasn't already but the fastest route to Ads is

Qantas : Heathrow - Bangkok - Syd - Ads. Off the plane in Bangkok for approx 1 1/2 hours, land in Syd about 6am pick up bags, clear customs immigration etc go to Qantas transfer give them your bags and they bus you per to the Domestic terminal and your flight to Ads leaves about 8.30. Actual time in air is about 20 hrs. British Airways will do this route to Syd so may still be possible.

The other thing is to fly by whichever airline to Singapore and stop over for a day or two, it works wonders in acclimatising to the bright light and heat which may meet you if you arrive in Aus in summer. Singapore is also only two to two half hours time diff so you can take some time clearing the jet lag.

I'd never fly Malaysian again after a horrendous experience with them 6 months ago. Have flown UK-Adelaide with Qantas, BA, Cathay, Singapore and Malaysian - all fairly similar really but if money wasn't an issue, I'd choose either Cathay for overall service and also as I love Hong Kong so enjoy a couple of nights there. However Singapore is great too for overall service and I love being able to have a swim during the 4 hour ish stopover then a cold beer on the outdoor deck and shower before the second leg! All in all though, I think they're all similar - I tend to go with the cheapest on the date I want.

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Hi guys

OP here. I started this thread last year.

We've been in Adelaide 5 months now and from the horses mouth I would go Heathrow>Singapore>Adelaide with Singapore Airlines. The night flights are a breeze. 13 hrs to Singapore through the night, few hours stop over for a swim, then 6.5hrs straight into Adelaide.

So easy.

OP checking out.

Hi guys

We've been in Adelaide 5 months now and from the horses mouth I would go Heathrow>Singapore>Adelaide with Singapore Airlines. The night flights are a breeze. 13 hrs to Singapore through the night, few hours stop over for a swim, then 6.5hrs straight into Adelaide.

So easy.

OP checking out.

We did the same route with Qantas with a 5.5 hour stop. No complaints they were spot on, 3rd time we have flown with them and never had a problem, probably stick with them now.

Hi guys

So easy.

OP checking out.

That is our usual route either with Qantas (code share BA) or SA. Works well for us every time.