Which home comforts can we take to Aus?

JimandBarbinAus

Hi,

We are making the move to Aus in early July next year and we are looking to stock up on some of our favourite goodies from the UK but we were wondering which items are allowed/not allowed to be packed in the container as we dont wnat to spend a fortune and get it taken off as when we arrive. Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

And remember if you are bringing anything in your handluggage or checkin luggage, to declare it on the customs form on entry. My visitors often bring sweets and crisps for the kids (and sometimes marmite but I'd be happy for that to be thrown away!) and they always declare it, never had a problem getting it through. I think *from watching Border Patrol etc) that they take a very dim view of people saying they have nothing to declare when they have got stuff, but if you're upfront they are quite understanding of a home sick pommy!

Definitely no dairy, fish or meat products though (Prawn Cocktail crisps don't seem to class in that category for some reason ;)) and no fresh fruit (coz South Australia is Fruit Fly Free, don't you know!)

Guest Squareman

Why bother? Embrace Oz and its 'comforts'. That way, when you run out of yorkshire pud mixture, or whatever, you won't be all 'that's it! Wur goin 'ome, its ****e here'

:-)

Guest WhatNow?
Why bother? Embrace Oz and its 'comforts'. That way, when you run out of yorkshire pud mixture, or whatever, you won't be all 'that's it! Wur goin 'ome, its ****e here'

:-)

'Yorkshire pud mix'??? Whatever happened to flour milk and eggs? LOL!

If you are buying anything big i.e new TV or beds etc your are supposed to have owned them for 12mths before you come out. I brought new bedding just removed all the packaging etc.

I would def bring anything that you really like but you can get a lot of stuff over here like bisto and chocolate but it just depends on how much you would miss it if you really want to bring it.

Def recommend if you bringing anything in your luggage on the plane to declare it! I did not and the women gave me a such a stern telling off about fines etc and imprisonment for false information.

The next time I brought some fudge home as a present told them and they guy did not even check!

You can get Bisto gravy in the UK shop at Glenelg. As for the duvet, you'll only need that 1 week of the year! LOL

I put "You can get it here but its expensive!"

It was said as a tongue in cheek sort of thing because its very English.

Maybe I should of put a smilie after it so people understood?

Rob and Mel

I'm taking it you mean foodstuff wise.

If you like Marmite, stock up with it. It is expensive in Aus. Heinz Salad cream would be another :P

I know things like Bisto isn't available there but tbh its not many months of the year you'd be wanting stuff with gravy. So consider people can ship it over if you want a few packs every now and again. Its fairly lightweight.

They won't let you bring in herbs and spices generally, so leave those off. And as has been said no meat, veggies, fresh stuff etc. Packets of biscuits and dried foods are generally ok. But read the Aus gov list that was linked to.

TBH though I found you can usually find something similar or that you like as much as even if its different. Crisps I found a few I liked, same with squash (cordial in Aus). I had a bit of a struggle with plain natural yogurt and son refused point blank to eat any of the Aussie ones we got in.

Its often a case of adapting to the variations of what you are used to. I found a ketchup that I liked more than Heinz (Beerenburg http://www.beerenberg.com.au/ ) and also their conserves are pretty much on a par to the ones I like in the UK. Same with a few other things.

However, I did struggle with finding anything close to chocolate that I liked. Because of the heat the standard Cadbury's/Mars stuff has added ingredients and so does taste noticeably different. Enough so I really didn't like it. And as I am a Green & Black's girl in the UK I ended up going to Haigh's and buying the odd bar from there. Really good quality choccy. I'd rather eat one small pricer decent tasting bar than 10 cheaper crappy tasting things.

Guest The Broadheads
You can get Bisto gravy in the UK shop at Glenelg. As for the duvet, you'll only need that 1 week of the year! LOL

Is that this week then?? bbbrrrrrr :biglaugh: