taking a dog

Guest tilly

Guest tilly

i'm planning on taking my currently 10 month old border collie x burmese mountain dog out with us. no clue how much its likely to cost or anything adn am really worried about him on the flight, he hates crates - we had one for travelling - a metal one and he nearly destroyed it on the journey. is there anything we can do to make it easier for him to travel in one? i'm also a bit bothered because he's a slightly strange dog and doesnt like to 'do his business' anywhere other than our back yard, can't help but worry that he'll make himself ill by 'holding it' as long as possible on the flight. the only person i know that took their dog with them had a terrible experience of quarantine in perth so i dont really have anything to go on. by the looks of things everyone seems to be saying budget about 4000 gbp for it all. does that sound about right? any advice would be brilliant as really dont want to have to leave him behind

There isn't much you can do in terms of anything to help them in the crate. You are not allowed to drug them or anything like that as it can be dangerous to their health. He'd have to go sober so to speak.

If he is a big dog I'd expect the costs to be around £4000 ballpark. You will pay shipping costs (where most of the money goes), vets bills, quarantine and other things.

The crates used are wooden as I understand it. With mesh ends. They are big enough for the dog to stand and turn round in. Once loaded to ship at the airport he would be in it till arriving at the final destination the other end, so could be 30 or so hours in a box. I've been told many dogs usually stress a bit to begin with but then settle for the duration. However, you know your dog best and if he hates crates you might need to do some work on this in preparation (crate training him at home for a few months before him flying out, having him in the actual crate he'll fly in so he is comfortable with it, bit like a dog bed at home).

If he is funny about where he goes to the toilet you may need to consider giving him some trail runs away from home without you (ie at a kennels for a weekend or some such a few times) to test the waters. I'd consult a decent dog behaviourist and see if they can advise also. It sounds like he has some behavioural issues that need addressing before this move.

Also contact the decent pet shippers. The good ones will advise you also and some do help with things like the crate in the home for the dog and other things.

Guest tilly

thanks snifter. we are going on holiday in a few weeks time and we are going to put him in kennels to do basically a trial run of how he deals with things like that, so hopefully that will prove he's just being stubborn because we are there! he is a big dog, like i say 10 months old and already towers over my friends full grown border collie, think last time we had him weighed he was about 30kgs - and i think border collies are meant to get to 24 max! so he's not small by any means!

with the vets costs, i know about the blood tests for the various things, and i know about the micro chipping checks and all that (he's already chipped) but are there any other things that need to be done? and where do i get them done? can any vet do it or do they have to be registered in some way?

is it better to use one of the 'all inclusive' type agencies for shipping them? i ahve so many questions about it all and not knowing anyone who has done it has meant me going crazy over a lot of it!

Have a read down the page of this thread, post by mj&db about the breakdown to shipping a dog (bright blue text). Will give you the info you need.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/109966-what-exactly-would-cost-expected-requirements-me-dog.html

Lots of airlines won't accept dogs to fly unless you use a shipping company. Personally I'd use one over doing it myself, yes it will cost more but its peace of mind and taken care of for you then. I would however use my own vet over one the shipping company may use. But many don't expect you to use one of their vets so it should not be a biggie.

If you do a good search online for decent pet shipping companies and contact them direct for quotes is best. Then come back here and post and see what the feedback is. Also try looking on Poms In Oz for feedback on the companies. There are a few companies seem to be highly recommended or used often by people taking their dogs/cats to Aus. A couple of lesser known ones seem to get dodgy feedback so best avoided.

I know I've contacted Pet Air UK who have been very good in their contact with me and people have used them lots and feedback has been good. Also Whitehouse Kennels down in Somerset has excellent feedback and they are lovely (I am involved with a dog rescue so am often there and know the staff).

I'd think your dog has issues with crating due to his being half border collie. They really don't do well cooped up at all and its very distressing for them. Border collies are still very much active working dogs and its an instinct that is very strong in them still, unlike with some other breeds where its become more diluted. I'd seriously consult a border collie expert on this and seek their advice on crating for a flight.

Guest tilly

thats brilliant cheers snifter, hadn't thought of half the things you suggested. just been having a look at golden arrow shipping and they seem to offer a good service, just reading some reviews on them now.

i'm planning on taking my currently 10 month old border collie x burmese mountain dog out with us. no clue how much its likely to cost or anything adn am really worried about him on the flight, he hates crates - we had one for travelling - a metal one and he nearly destroyed it on the journey. is there anything we can do to make it easier for him to travel in one? i'm also a bit bothered because he's a slightly strange dog and doesnt like to 'do his business' anywhere other than our back yard, can't help but worry that he'll make himself ill by 'holding it' as long as possible on the flight. the only person i know that took their dog with them had a terrible experience of quarantine in perth so i dont really have anything to go on. by the looks of things everyone seems to be saying budget about 4000 gbp for it all. does that sound about right? any advice would be brilliant as really dont want to have to leave him behind

Hi

Our Siberian Husky is currently in quarantine at Melbourne & it will have cost us about 4,300 GBP in total (including flights from Melbourne to Adelaide). Cost us slightly more because he failed his blood test & we had to pay for a more indepth one. We went with Jets 4 Pets and they've been fantastic.

Tracey

Guest Ddebs
thanks kizzy. all these different people to look at is brilliant, i dont feel quite so lost now! thanks :)

I've been looking at quotes to fly my choc lab out to Melbourne. I have found Transfur came up with a good quote and seem very helpful. It's a bit of a minefield isn't it? :arghh:

Guest tilly

ddebs i'm so glad ive started looking at it all early. not got the visa yet but at least i know now what a nightmare it is! seems like more hassle to get the dog out there than it is to get us out there!!! i'll have a look at transfur - cheers for that :)

Have to say this is the first time I've ever heard of Transfur. I did a quick google and didn't get much back on them. And there website doesn't really have much info on it at all. I did find one review that indicated they were pricey also.

Perhaps have a look on Poms In Oz to see if anyone else has used them and has feedback.

Guest Ddebs
Have to say this is the first time I've ever heard of Transfur. I did a quick google and didn't get much back on them. And there website doesn't really have much info on it at all. I did find one review that indicated they were pricey also.

Perhaps have a look on Poms In Oz to see if anyone else has used them and has feedback.

Ok thanks will continue looking:o

I have had contact with Whitehouse kennels ( Somerset) who have been very helpful so far and informative. I have read good reviews on them also, they seem genuine about caring for the animals and providing as little stress as possible.

Worth getting a quote from a few and see who you feel most comfortable with.

Guest Ddebs
I have had contact with Whitehouse kennels ( Somerset) who have been very helpful so far and informative. I have read good reviews on them also, they seem genuine about caring for the animals and providing as little stress as possible.

Worth getting a quote from a few and see who you feel most comfortable with.

I am now awaiting a quote from Whitehouse Kennels and you're right, they do seem really nice. Just around the corner from me too which seems to give me some comfort!! I'd never heard of them before. :o

I am now awaiting a quote from Whitehouse Kennels and you're right, they do seem really nice. Just around the corner from me too which seems to give me some comfort!! I'd never heard of them before. :o

Whitehouse Kennels are great. They are a boarding kennels, pet transport and shipping and a rescue kennels also. And being local you may well be able to have the crate in advance to get your dog used to it for a month or two in the house. So its familiar and their 'bed' and has all the smells they know and find comforting.

I guess the only downside might be their quote is higher than another company but I didn't find much in it when we got ours. And having them so local to us means it is less hassle in terms of where we deliver the dog to. And I like to keep money in the local economy where possible.