First shipping quote !!! Omg!!!

Guest fatman

Guest fatman

Just had first shipping company over for quote.... (Allied Pickfords)... didn't realise a full container is 40ft ..... half container is 20ft ????

apparently we need a 40ft container, double the cost.. of course everything takes up twice the space with all the bubble wrap and packaging..... bit of a shock, now we are having a long hard think to what we should take over etc.

Hopefully next quote cheaper!!.... 40ft container was WITHOUT our jeep!!! :eek:

:shocked:

Graham, Janis & Sophie Price (POURING RAIN AGAIN!!!! :arghh:)

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest teamV

Did you think is was best to save the rest of us the shock ,by not putting the price up:biglaugh:

were also hopeing to ship a pickup and are motorhome.

Im starting to think no point in a container as the costs are to high.

We are goint to just do the TVs and computer and a couple of boxes of toys and personal items and kitchen stuff.

Was never going to bring white goods as they are all built in.

We will get the rest out there as i think it will cost no more if i can get the shipping in for under £1000 for a couple of TVs and a few boxes.

Guest Guest75

A 40ft container is hooooge - what you bringing - the town ou live in??

We crammed loads in a 20ft, perhaps the shippers are trying to "upsell"?

Shipping prices have not increased I see - we paid 3500 GBP 11 years ago!:shocked:

Guest Nick11

Bring everything..it will cost you a lot more than 3500 sterling to set yourself up again.

It might not seem like it..but trust me it will

Unless you have a massive house to ship , i think there just trying to scare you into bringing a larger container, we shipped a 4 bedroom bungalow , contents of 2 attics, contents 2 large garden sheds, all of that went into a 20 foot contaner , with a little space at the back when we were finished , you will be surprised what these guys can fit in , and i would suggest filling it to the roof , theres no point in bringing a 40 ft , if its coming over half empty , lots of extra expense. I was in same frame of mind as you but 20ft was enough in end, just have to be realistic what u definately want , leave the maybe stuff behind,.Not an easy decision , all the best.

Guest davey72

Shipping Agents are like estate agents...................so take it from there and play them at there own game. They know you havent a clue how much it will cost so they start high. We got Allied Pickfords down to under 3000 sterling for a 20ft and that included a motorbike. Tell them you will go shared in a 40 ft container ( they do this anyway ) 20ft each if that brings the price down. They did a cracking job as well. Both packing and unpacking.

Being flexible helps our container took 12 week which was fine for us. Plus take a long hard at all your stuff. We brought Trampolines, Bunkbeds ect that took up loads of room where really we should have put the dishwasher / washing machine in as Tramploine and Bunkbed cheaper than W/M & Dishwashers to replenish.

Guest Sachertorte

We would STRONGLY recommend anyone bringing their own goods here, especially if they are of good quality. Even IKEA goods cost considerably more here.

We used John Mason http://www.johnmason.com/internationalshipping/ and were delighted with them. Paid around the same as other guys for a 20 ft container filling it with the contents of a 5 bed and huge office (we had china, antiques and crystal too). Not one thing was broken.

You will be really glad you will have shipped your quality British belongings when you visit the furniture joints over here. We replaced our lounge for 3 times the cost had we bought in the UK!

Conversely, toys here can be also loaned from the excellent toy libraries around Adelaide. Stock up on paperbacks though as any books are fantastically extortionate here.

ATB

Also bear in mind if you agree to a shared container, that may well slow down the shipping of your belongings while it sits around waiting for someone to fill the other half! We had a 20 ft container 7 years ago, and brought over the full contents of a four bedroom house and garage (wouldn't let husband bring all his toys though - motorbikes, boats, windsurfers, lathe etc) including fridge, washing machine, tumble drier, TV, our bed but not the kids, climbing frame (which has never made it out of the garage here), lawnmower, bicycles etc. Only thing we didn't bring that we should have was our wood burning stove. Oh, and should have bought more garden chairs from Argos and shipped them as well!!

Guest m.jephcott

We also used John Masons and can highly recommend them. I also agree that you should bring everything, it costs enough to set up here without the added expense and time spent chosing and buying new furniture, tea towels, electricals and so on. I have done it both ways and it is much better and cheaper to bring what you already have. We had a large 4 bed house and after a clear out filled a 20ft container to 75% capacity we paid around £4000 with insurance (I think september was a long time ago). There are also a few things we wish we'd bought and a few items we are not sure why we bothered with. My husband really regrets not bringing his concrete mixer and wheelbarrows (so expensive here). My advice would be to go through your belongings, and sort out any rubbish or anything you don't use or is likely to break in the near future everything else bring and T.Vs do work with a set top box and they don't cost much.

Guest Viksta

All this info is so helpful for everyone!! My husb wants to just 'set up' when we get there, but reading this I am def gonna convince him otherwise!!

Just had first shipping company over for quote.... (Allied Pickfords)... didn't realise a full container is 40ft ..... half container is 20ft ????

apparently we need a 40ft container, double the cost.. of course everything takes up twice the space with all the bubble wrap and packaging..... bit of a shock, now we are having a long hard think to what we should take over etc.

Hopefully next quote cheaper!!.... 40ft container was WITHOUT our jeep!!! :eek:

:shocked:

Graham, Janis & Sophie Price (POURING RAIN AGAIN!!!! :arghh:)

Hi

I thought I should give you some perspetive about container costs. My company imports goods from all over the world on a regular basis. From China to the UK it costs from £2200 - £3750 for a 40ft Container depending on the year. China to Europe / UK is a very busy route. This is based on goods being delivered to the docks in China by the manufacturer. To have your household goods packed, wrapped up and loaded onto a container by a removal company will add around £300- £400 I guess to the shipping costs. Of course the distance is much further and the shipping is not as frequent.

Guest Carlsavs

Also take the shipping times with a pinch of salt . We got told 8 weeks for a 20 ft and it took 3 months . Once they had our money they didnt seem to care either.......

Tv's and laptops quite a good price here , furniture expensive !

C

Hi we have got a really good quote from doree bonner. but before hand we got the kids to sort there toys out (charity shop did really well). We also thought about anything we would have to buy within the time it will take for our stuff to arrive in adelaide eg: beds, white goods. I have found it a good time to have a good clear out and get rid of any junk.

Lisa

Im starting to think no point in a container as the costs are to high.

We are goint to just do the TVs and computer and a couple of boxes of toys and personal items and kitchen stuff.

Was never going to bring white goods as they are all built in.

We will get the rest out there as i think it will cost no more if i can get the shipping in for under £1000 for a couple of TVs and a few boxes.

OK let me break this down a but further -

We are going to take electricals such as TVs, computer, dvd player, xbox ect.

We are also taking all of the little bits like kitchen stuffs, DVDs, and a couple of boxes of toys, personals ect and 2x kids bikes but we should be able to get this all over for under £1000 in crates and boxes.

We will fly on a perminent visa which we is unused so can get 40kls luggage per person and hand luggage so this will cover clothes, some toys, and essential personals.

I cannot take the oven, dishwasher, fridge or freezer as they are built in so will have to get new and will do that when i get there.

Am leaving the washing machine and tumble dryer behind as they are ancient anyway and require replacing. also having a good clear out before we go anyway.

Going on a average cost of £3k for a container this leaves me £2k or $3k dollars to but a new sofa, a king bed, and 2 single beds, and a kitchen table.

Sees reasonable from the prices ive seen.

I cannot take the white goods into account as i have tobuy new anyway.

Anyone else done it this way and has it worked out financially ?

Guest Viksta
No not mistaken, the whitegoods in my kitchen are defenently built it.

Not sure the buyers would like me ripping the kitchen apart to take them ;)

totally irrelavant but this quote made me giggle!!!