4WDs and safety

RockDr

Yeah, I know they're not, hence my confusion.

I mean we have a little 4WD because we go offroad to get to rock-climbing spots, so we need the 4WD capabilities. It's also great in the city because it's small so easy to park and has a really good turning circle, but we are well aware that it's not a particularly safe car, and I would think twice about transporting kids in it if/when I ever have any.

Some of the most safest cars in the world are the little European hatchbacks. But many people feel safer in a bigger vehicle. For example, my mother felt far safer in a 10 year old Mondeo, than she did in my 1 year old Clio. But I had crumple zones and 8 airbags. She had 1 airbag that was past it's 10 year guarantee.

I have to say I can understand the size thing, other drivers do treat you differently, I can still remember the big grin I had on my face the first time I got to drive a big black sedan (can't remember what brand it was, but think aggressive businessman's car) down the motorway in the UK (I'd been upgraded from the little rental hatchback I'd ordered), and people just got out of the way...

but there are big sedans (e.g. the people carriers, ford galaxy, renault espace etc) that are safer than 4WDs of similar size, and can fit more people/luggage in, and yet people still go for the 4WDs. I guess it's just been good marketing.

I have to say I can understand the size thing, other drivers do treat you differently, I can still remember the big grin I had on my face the first time I got to drive a big black sedan (can't remember what brand it was, but think aggressive businessman's car) down the motorway in the UK (I'd been upgraded from the little rental hatchback I'd ordered), and people just got out of the way...

but there are big sedans (e.g. the people carriers, ford galaxy, renault espace etc) that are safer than 4WDs of similar size, and can fit more people/luggage in, and yet people still go for the 4WDs. I guess it's just been good marketing.

If I could buy a ford Galaxy here , I would get one.. unfortunately Ford dont make or sell them here which is a shame as it would be a great rival for the Kia Carnival.. ( I had one of these... never again!!)

Guest Guest75

I have a fair sized 4X4 (with a speshul rego):biglaugh:

I use it for the purpose intended - (I go into creek beds /sand beds / off road in general and need it for towing and launching our bout .

Its a Diesel.

I don't drive fast in it.

I LOVE the height and room inside :cute::cute:

If I could buy a ford Galaxy here , I would get one.. unfortunately Ford dont make or sell them here which is a shame as it would be a great rival for the Kia Carnival.. ( I had one of these... never again!!)

So I guess a lack of decent people carriers might be one factor contributing to all the school-run 4WDs. Hadn't occurred to me, but you're right, I've not seen any Galaxys over here, and they're everywhere in the UK. My dad has had one in various forms since I was 13, and I have to say if I needed a big car that'd be my first choice (well if they were available that is), it's like driving in a goldfish bowl, really good visibility.

I have a fair sized 4X4 (with a speshul rego):biglaugh:

I use it for the purpose intended - (I go into creek beds /sand beds / off road in general and need it for towing and launching our bout .

Its a Diesel.

I don't drive fast in it.

I LOVE the height and room inside :cute::cute:

Great that someone at least has a car that's designed for what they need it for.

There's definitely a height thing too. In the UK I had a Ford Ka - great car, nippy, easy to drive, easy to park, perfect for the school run.

When we came over here though, although you can buy them here, we realised that if you were alongside a big 4WD, or even one of those mega B Doubles, you'd be like a tiny fly, lucky if they noticed you at all!

As for pulling out of junctions - the number of times I've been stuck beside a huge 4WD wanting to turn right, and blocking my view of the road when I've wanted to turn left! And that's even when I'm in the Forrester..!!! Can't quite see why someone pootling around the eastern suburbs at school run time really needs some huge behemoth personally...perhaps they're compensating? Often (if I can see into the car) it's some little wizened man driving...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Ah yes, the Ford ka, great little car, learnt to drive in one. Led to a very entertaining conversation with my mum after my first driving lesson:

"so, what type of car was it?"

"a ka"

"yes I know it was a car, but what type?"

"mum, it was a ford ka"

"yes but what model?"

Guest Trakki

In the uk we had a zafira which I loved. When we moved here we could not find a people carrier on our price range so ended up with a 4x4. At the time we had 4 children so needed the space. Last year we got a starwagon which I love but wish it was newer. Now the pajero is used for Pete or me to drive to work and transport our camping gear. Sometimes it is needs must rather than want. Am gonna get a mini bus next for the 5 kids we now have I think.

Guest Aussie pat

My every day car is a little Toyota Yaris. People are forever pushing in front of me etc.

Whenever I drive my husband's 4wd I get a lot more respect even though I drive almost the same way, other than allowing more space for a bigger car. Isn't it funny.

I have a 4x4 and i love it..you can see everything because you are so much higher than anything else on the road....

Cnt wait to take it out in the bush and down The Coorong fishing.....

Its down to personal choice as are most things in life....

We used to have an Toyota Estima in the UK, great car.....and a Carnival here until it XXXX itself....but now i got my 4x4 there aint no looking back....

HG

Guest Guest75
Ah yes, the Ford ka, great little car, learnt to drive in one. Led to a very entertaining conversation with my mum after my first driving lesson:

"so, what type of car was it?"

"a ka"

"yes I know it was a car, but what type?"

"mum, it was a ford ka"

"yes but what model?"

If ya have two -------------- you have Ka,Ka........:biglaugh:

The sports SI version................. A KASI............:biglaugh:

Theres more people here that have 4wds ............because they get used . Not every day but good to have one to do things 'other'motors cant. eg beach driving and camping bush.

Guest moonraker1959

From my experience,where I live,people who drive them are fairly bullyish on the roads.I drive down a small country lane most days to work,and pretty much every 4wd I come across won't pull over to let you pass,even if the passing place is on their side.I used to pull over when I realised they were'nt stopping,now I just thunder on through!:biglaugh:A couple of years ago I was driving out of a supermarket,and coming onto the little slip road to leave the car park.There was a 4wd in front of me,I was a car's length behind him.All of a sudden he decided to plant his foot in reverse,and went straight into the front of my car.He got out,scratched his head and said he did'nt see me.Yes he had mirrors!What a plonker!

Guest Crushfamily
then you see the fools on the beach with their V8 holdens showing off then they beach it....very funny....

Along comes Mr 4by and pulls him out....

HG

Like this joker on Moana?

Make sure your friends have a proper 4x4 as the baby ones are no good it would appear from this episode!

DSC_2467small.jpg

DSC_2469small.jpg

DSC_2472small.jpg

Thats weird as the sea seems to do a pretty good job of moving the sand around down on silver sands, see things we never saw through the summer months....

Also brings revenue in for each vehicle on the beach....and there is also the disabled people who cnt walk on the sand for one reason or another...i got talking to a bloke who had a stroke and without his wife being able to drive onto the sand he would never be able to enjoy the beach and swimming in the sea...

HG

Guest Matey2

In the Uk 4x4's in the city were called Chelsea tractors as they were mainly bought for fashion or snob value. I reckon it's sort of the same here. People like to be seen as the sort who go off roading, fishing etc as it's 'Australian' even if they have never been out of the city. So the next time you see a shiny 4x4 that is being used for the school run or trying to get into a small parking space in a muli-storey just smile to yourself.

Incidentally I won't park next to 4x4's as all too often they open their doors into the side of your car. For us, as we live in the city and work in the city, smaller cars are ideal and we can often get that awkward parking space bigger cars can't get into.