Driving from Adelaide to Melbourne.

Guest manxstones

Guest manxstones

Hi, We will need to collect our dog Boycie from quarantine in Melbourne in Nov. How long would it take to drive there and back and the best route ?

Thanks Manxstones.:huh:

Guest moonraker1959

I have driven to Melbourne twice many years ago.I think from memory it took about 10-12 hours(stops on the way for drinks ect)I just googled "driving from Adelaide to Melbourne"and scrolled down abit and there are some really good idea's of places to stay ect from posters on trip Advisor,so have a look,it should be useful.Its actually a good drive to Melbourne,roads are good and fast (watch your speed!!!)and it sure beats getting the train,god that takes forever,think I left at 6.30pm(Adelaide)and arrived in Melbourne at I think 7am(ish!!!):eek:

Why not do the inland route one way (See the Grampians en route), then do the great ocean road on the way back? inland route is about 8-9 hrs of driving plus stops. I think the coastal route is more like 12hrs of car time plus stops.

Inland, the first truck-stop/gas station on the left as you hit Bordertown (3hrs from Adelaide) coming from Adelaide does pretty good food (as far as petrol station food goes). Horsham (4.5ish hours from Adelaide) has a fantastic noodle place on the main st (we go climbing in Mt Arapiles/the Grampians on a regular basis and don't even bother taking cooking equipment with us, noodle village every time).

Grampians is definitely worth a stop, Hollow Mountain is a fun walk, and in the Northern Gramps, so only about 25min drive off the main highway. I've not been as far south as Hall's gap, but have heard there's lots of nice walks around there too. National Park though, so might be worth doing this on the way TO picking up the dog...

Haven't done the ocean road yet, so can't help much with that.

As has been stated, the quickest way would be inland via Horsham, which would be about 8-9hrs depending on stops. If you wanted to make a bit of a trip of it, then you could stop in Horsham overnight, then travel via the Grampians the next day, and go for a walk somewhere in the National Park.

If you want a lovely trip back, then go via the Great Ocean Road, but to do it properly you would need to allow a few days, as there are lots of stops to see beautiful sea vistas, and also much of the road is very windy, so would be a lot slower than the kilometre numbers would have you believe. You would need at least two days, but maybe three would be better.

If you didn't want to do the long coastal drive with the dog, you could do it on the way, then come back inland and leave walking in the national park to another time. On the way back, Horsham would be your best place to stay, as the towns between Horsham and Adelaide are not very big and decent places to stay are limited.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Peachie

We went over land via horsham last jan (in the floods) and made it in 8 hours with lunch at bordertown we came back via ocean road loads of stops for piccies on the way back and stopped overnight in Mt Gambier saw the blue lake (yes it was defo blue) stopped in robe for lunch (yes the gaint lobster too) then back to adelaide by dinner time (stopped by the Murray estuary and Murray bridge for coffee)

if in a rush go horsham if you have time and cash for overnight stays then make a trip of it we loved souvreign hill, Ballerat and geelong and cute villages on the ocean roed but can be a bit cold down there in nov unless a heat wave hits!!!

Guest HeatherandPip

We did the same thing last July - drove to Melbourne to collect Pip from quarantine. Would have loved to go Gt Ocean Rd but thought the direct inland route wiser. With stops it took about 8 hours and was a lovely drive. Will pass thru a nice town every hour or so, most of which have great bakeries!!

Got to the quarantine kennels far too early - my impatience as I hadnt seen Pip since Feb!

People at the kennels just lovely and Pip looked so well.

Seeing each other again was the happiest moment of my life!! So just wanted to say ENJOY!! and if Boycie is anything like Pip, be prepared to have him on your lap all the drive home!