Shipping a rocking horse - fumigation?

niknjas

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help me. When we came over, we left some stuff in UK. A friend of ours is now moving to sydney in January and had offered to bring our remaining stuff in his container. Before we left I had contacted Customs and they had sent me an email about shipping it - I am either completely thick or it is in double dutch. Bottom line is I am sure it will need fumigating. Real horse hair, leather and treated wood. Anyone had to have anything fumigated and if so can they give me an idea of how much it cost them.

Thanks

Niki

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Adelaide_bound

Did you get any further with this?

We are shipping our wooden rocking horse out, much the same make up as yours from the sounds of it - polished oak, real horse hair, leather saddle etc - and as I understand it we just need to get a letter from the original manufacturers to say it is all treated stuff and it will be ok - if you couldn't get a letter from the original makers, could you get another manufacturer to say they have inspected it and is has been made from treated materials? If you google wooden rocking horses or something you should be able to find one near you (I only know the one that made ours, which is in High Wycombe in Bucks), but an idea maybe?

Hi

I don't think we even have the original receipt anymore as we have had ours about 6 years now. It has got an original plate and number on it. We did not ship it when we came out as were not sure we would haveanywhere for it and did not want it to get damaged. It seems ok to ship as long as it is clean from the emails that I got back. The wood and leather is treated so should not be a problem. I did ask them about the horse hair and got a vague answer. I am getting my mother in law to clean it through and comb with conditioner as directed on a website, I also asked fumigation costs and did not hear back. I will pm you with the links/ emails that were sent to me. You might be able to pick something else out of it. Directed it to my fried that is shipping it for us and he seemed to think it was ok too.

Hope this helps

Niki

Guest Adelaide_bound

Many thanks Niki, fingers crossed it goes ok for you - I have to say ours was fairly trashed when we moved up to the Midlands from london by a complete muppet of a removal company (DO NOT ever use the company that boasts they moved Cameron into Number 10 Downing Street! if you need someone in the UK), but have been told by a couple of different movers now that they need to make a crate for the horse to keep it safe - that should be about £60-80 + vat, so adds to the costs, but if it keeps it safe, obviously very needed :)

Good luck, hope yours gets moved over fine - we will be going (hopefully) Jan time, so will update this thread then for anyone else :)