Baggage Allowance Warning

ajford

Hi,

We are flying out a week on saturday so thought Iw ould double check the allowance we would be allowed, I know this topic is always popping up,

I booked my tickets through Flightchecker, got a good price as we have not been able to book them until the sale of the house was finalized, so all 11th hour. We have booked through Travel Up company and are flying with Cathy Pacific . I emailed Cathy Pacific before booking the tickets and they said they offer a Migration fare flight and offer a 40kg per person -We thought great so we booked and payed for the flights like you do.

Due to the lovely stress of it all we decided to double check with Cathy Pacific again How do we get the extra baggage allowance as we are flying with them,

This is the email reply I got today

Dear Mr Ford,

Thank you for your email.

Pleas be informed immigration baggage allowances are only eligible if you have purchase your ticket with the migration fares through Cathay Pacific Airways directly and it is eligible for passengers upon presenting the un-used indefinate visa upon booking.

With regret if you have not purchase a ticket with a migration fares with us directly you normal free baggage allowance still apply, which is Economy is 20Kg, Business Class is 30Kg and First Class is 40Kg. And you can carry 7kg as a hand luggage.

Many thanks and regards

UK Sales Team / 689,,

We are so happy we checked again, I thought we had checked enough, its been it bit confussing for us-however we are re packing the essentials and flight Airing the rest over- saves getting stung at the airport in two weeks- Never Mind, :err:

I hope we have been the only ones like this.

:embarressed:

So if you require the extra baggage it sounds like you must book directly with The airline in our case it would have been CP. Atleast it will be easier getting about with the luggage :biglaugh:,

Cheers for your time, ramble over

Our Son has just travelled back to Aus. with Quantas and when he checked in at Heathrow they said he was overweight, so had to in theory remove 2 kilos from his suitcase. He removed some items, nowhere near 2 kilos, went back to a different desk, and they told him that he was then 2 kilos under weight. I wonder if anybody checks the scales on the desks, as it appears you could be unlucky and have problems through no fault of your own.

Just a warning to everybody travelling.

Guest Katy & Daz

Hi,

What a nightmare, you must be so glad you double checked, can you imagine getting to the airport and being told you were 20kg over wieght, seems so unfair, great warning for the likes of us who are hoping to go in October.

All the very best, hope it all goes smoothly for you.

We had seven huge bags with us plus a pushchair and various bits of hand luggage. I knew we would be over weight we were allowed 140kg I think, between us. Got to check in early and the guy at the desk was brilliant, we were over by another 30kg or something ridiculous.. so not even close. I started crying it all had to go with us somehow, so he charged us for only 5kg of the overweight. Can't remember how much it was per kilo but I was so lucky could not believe it.

Thanks for warning others as not everyone can be so lucky.

It will make life easier having smaller bags though it was a nightmare trying to get these bags around the airports with 2 kids in tow!!!

Good luck with the flights :-)