Another shipping question

Guest teamV

Guest teamV

Were trying to bring our camper across with us ,looks like it will be the wedge end of £6000 to do it roro,but we think it can be jamed into a container ,which would mean hopefully all our house hold stuff would go in as well and we could load the van up.

what I need to know is who and how do they unload it at the other end .It will be a nightmare to get it into a 40ft container ,but we have a loading ramp at my end and when its your own you get on and do it ,but how much time and effort will be aloud at the other end and can I get involved unloading it.

We think it would need smallier wheels and tyre's to be loaded then changed back at the other end, but it would still need to come straight out ,as in not at an angle down a ramp.

Sorry but never sent my live in a container before ,so this could be a steep learning curve.

.....................................8ft...............10ft..............20ft............30ft............40ft.....

[TABLE=class: dataTable]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]Internal Length

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]2.28m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]2.80m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]5.87m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]8.93m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]12.00m

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]Internal Width

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]2.10m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]2.33m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]Internal Height:

[/TD]

[TD=class: blank][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR=class: sub]

[TD=class: label]» Standard

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]2.04m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]2.35m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: label]» High cube

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]-

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]2.65m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]End Door Aperture Width:

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]2.09m

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]as req.

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]2.28m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]End Door Aperture Height:

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]1.94m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]2.26m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]-

[/TD]

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]2.56m

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]Floor area

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]4.78m2

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]6.69m2

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]13.93m2

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]21.09m2

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]28.33m2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]Cubic capacity:

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]9.28m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]15.89m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]32.85m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]49.84m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]66.83m3

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]-

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]17.84m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]37.09m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]56.21m3

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue]75.32m3

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD=class: label]Weight

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]1.02 tonnes

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]1.52 tonnes

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]2.44 tonnes

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]3.25 tonnes

[/TD]

[TD=class: parametervalue2]4.06 tonnes

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

it says here that the height is 2705 but because the van is now a camper its sat down abit over the years, it is now 2,55m the same as the door on the container so if we could loose a little bit more with smaller wheels ,I could get it in ,but ive no idea how the shippers would tie it down:biggrin:.

cr35lwbhr.gif

Maybe a silly question but could you reverse the van into a container once its fully loaed so the customs would only have to roll it out , rather than you sweating over IF THEY managed to reverse it out without damaging it in any way, I work on ships & what we would & have done previously is put rubber blocks (rubber triangles ) jammed under every wheel & a ratchet strap across the back but leading forward so it would,nt roll out as soon as they open the door, which im sure would really p them off even before they start to get into it . Hope that makes sense to you thats only my recommendation , but I am sure other shipping agents have other ideas $$$$$$$ .Plus if it was in backwards it will be a lot easier for the driver to get out, rather than squeezing yourself the full length of the container, but some very slim person will have to position the blocks once everyone is happy before the seal is put on the door . Very good question will wait to see the official answer . Best of luck

My husband works with air cargo and says he shippers should know what they are doing, they must do it all the time. He used to load Formula 1 cars on to a 747 - now that's a very valuable load! If a vehicle isn't on a aircraft pallet then it is secured by straps round the wheels which then attach to points on the floor.

Guest teamV
Maybe a silly question but could you reverse the van into a container once its fully loaed so the customs would only have to roll it out , rather than you sweating over IF THEY managed to reverse it out without damaging it in any way, I work on ships & what we would & have done previously is put rubber blocks (rubber triangles ) jammed under every wheel & a ratchet strap across the back but leading forward so it would,nt roll out as soon as they open the door, which im sure would really p them off even before they start to get into it . Hope that makes sense to you thats only my recommendation , but I am sure other shipping agents have other ideas $$$$$$$ .Plus if it was in backwards it will be a lot easier for the driver to get out, rather than squeezing yourself the full length of the container, but some very slim person will have to position the blocks once everyone is happy before the seal is put on the door . Very good question will wait to see the official answer . Best of luck

Thanks for your reply ,more to think about.

Containers have woodend floors and all the ones ive seen don't have any point's to tie things down ,we have been thinking about this all last night,so what I think would happen is they would nail wooden blocks to the floor then roll the van up to them,then again nail wooden blocks to the floor,I would think in an L shape so the van would be blocked from moving sideway's as well as backwards and forwards.I you drove the van in with it full then there's no way of climbing through the back ,so it would need loading afterwords or as you say put the house stuff in the container up to about 18ft, leaving 22ft for the van to be reversed in although it may have to be pushed the last few feet as I doubt there would be the room to open the doors.

Guest teamV

Thanks Ann ,as you say the peps who load the freight no what there doing ,but they will only be aload to do so much ,health and safety and all that,but f1 cars are tiny and this is not ,containers don't have tie downs and its the height thats the main problem as its going to be touch and go wether it fits or not.

One shipper have already said that if we do go down the container route we can't get any kind of insurance ,were as with roro we can.

Guest teamV
I didn't think you were supposed to load stuff into vehicles that you are shipping in containers because it stuffs up the suspension during transit, and customs don't like it at this end.

Thanks,I'm not to fussed about the weight in the van thats what there built for and we would put the lighter stuff in anyway ,what I don't want to do is upset customs.we were told yesterday that in the container its fine ,but roro there is no direct route to adelaide so the camper would be unloaded in Singapore ,then reloaded onto another ship ,this is were your stuff can and will go missing ,as it may be days or even weeks sat on the docks waiting to be loaded again and all this time they have yours keys and its just asking for trouble ,or thats whats shippers thoughts were on sending things in the van.

I've been searching for a topic about shipping a campervan over for a while..

We are thinking of buying a mobilehome frome the UK and shipping it from The Netherlands (were we live).

Mobilehomes seem to be much cheaper in europe and a lot more modern then Oz.

Wich shippingcompany have you been looking at?

Steven

Guest teamV

So what my first question should of said is,

if we manage to jam the van and the rest of our life into the container do customs unload the hole container ,then reload it in, to be delivered to your house ,or just have a quick look at the paper work and trust the shippers paper work as to whats in there .

Also how would we be able to unload the camper if the continer turned up at the house a good 4 feet off the ground on the back of an artic,when with the height problems it would not be able to come down a ramp,or would the removal company unload it all some were else and bring it round in another truck.

Did you all who are there get a shipping container delivered to your house or was your furniture swopped into a removel truck and the delivered to your house:wink:

Guest teamV
I've been searching for a topic about shipping a campervan over for a while..

We are thinking of buying a mobilehome frome the UK and shipping it from The Netherlands (were we live).

Mobilehomes seem to be much cheaper in europe and a lot more modern then Oz.

Wich shippingcompany have you been looking at?

Steven

Hi Steven I spoke to these yesterday http://www.autoshippers.co.uk/ they have an office in bristol ,they wanted about about £4000 for freight only so customs ,steamclean and everything else would be on top ,on arrival in adelaide ,I don't think there would be much change out of 2000.But they don't sort out your import licence,thats up to you.So they said contact cargo on line ,which I had done already ,so thought if they use them ,then maybe they can't to to bad,just my thought ,anyway heres there quote for roro.

Cargo Online Pty LtdUnit 329 Mitchell RoadBrookvaleNSW 2100AUSTRALIATel 00 61 2 9949 2999Fax 00 61 2 9938 3859

http://www.cargoonline.com.au/

Date27/07/2011

ToKevin Nelson

Type of VehicleVW crafter diesel and its a 2007 lwb,

FromSouthampton

Load PortSouthampton

Discharge PortAdelaide

FeetInchesTotal inchesMetres

Length229.42736.94

Width711.5962.43

Height97.81162.94

Total cubic49.546Cubic Metres

Export Documentation£42.00

Export Terminal Handling Charge £110.00

Inland Trucking£TBA

Ocean Freight including BAF in US$$ 6,440.83

Destination A$

Customs/Quarantine charges at destination Au$229.00

Local Valuation if required Au$357.50

Customs/Quarantine/DEWR Clearance Au$512.00

Steam Clean if required Au$402.00

Port/Statutory authority charges at destination Au$396.00

Delivery at destination (metro area) if required Au$228.00

Notes:

I also got a quote from these http://www.2wglobal.com/www/wep// but they would ony deliver to Fremantle ,which would make things even more complacated and was around the same price ,so pointless although its adirect sailing.

I'm starting to confuzz myself now.:arghh:

?attid=0.1&pid=gmail&thid=1316b34286642d9e&url=https%3A%2F%2Fmail.google.com%2Fmail%2F%3Fui%3D2%26ik%3Dbfa8226825%26view%3Datt%26th%3D1316b34286642d9e%26attid%3D0.1%26disp%3Dsafe%26zw&docid=3fc1a503fed89c86ecac3877bc8f7f39|014ea6f30e4205e74bf32e94d5876d98&a=bi&pagenumber=1&w=800

Guest teamV

Ive just spoken to a local removal company ,well the owners a freind which helps .He says that most of these removal company's are just agents who rent a shipping container from the ship owners ,then pay a 3rd party at the other end to deliver it to your door.He say's you need to be there when the custom seal is broken by the removal men ,so if anything goes missing you can't blame them. we are now thinking of hiring our own container and getting him to load and bag it up ,as would one of the bigger company's then pay a 3rd party to collect and deliver it to us in adelaide ,but nothing is set in stone ,but it would be nice to deal with someone we know.

Here are some tyres ive found for the van ,they would drop it over 4" ,which may not be practical to drive about so i'm going to try 4 then see and maybe go up a size or 2:biggrin:

17e7ef74.jpg

Guest teamV
Thanks for sharing that info TeamV.

Why don't you buy a spare set of wheels of eg. a Vw Polo (15inch). I think they would fit from a new model (2011).

Steven

Thats no bother its what these sites are about hopefully ,it can just be hard sometimes getting the answer you want ,

Here's the link for the ozzy dvla import licence place ,i'm going to call them in the morning.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/Application.aspx

As for the wheels are polo etc on 6 stud wheels ,as the vans on 6 stud 16inch wheels ,there would be loads of room to drop down a wheel size.

Guest Ian Butler

Very interesting thread - we enquired about shipping our car along with the rest of our struff but were told that the vechile has to be in a container by itself!!! Maybe we haven't been given the right info? It certainly would be loads easier to do it this way.

Can anyone recommend a good shipping company?

• 3 weeks later...

Have you got any news TeamV?

I've been looking into secondhand motorhomes in Oz and compairing prices with the UK. It seems well worth it shipping it over from the UK.

Somewhere next year w'll be looking to buy one in the UK, drive it back to Holland, and ship it to Oz.

Steven

Have you got any news TeamV?

I've been looking into secondhand motorhomes in Oz and compairing prices with the UK. It seems well worth it shipping it over from the UK.

Somewhere next year w'll be looking to buy one in the UK, drive it back to Holland, and ship it to Oz.

Steven

I would get some advice first Steven,as the general rule is you must of owned and used it for at least a year before you can ship it .so it would need to be registered in your name for a year and if not they won't give you an import licence ,there's a litlle loop hole with vehicles older than 1989 ,but you would need to check this yourself.

Cheers Kev.

This link shows you the process it will take.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/index.aspx

If you are a owner of a vehicle for less then one year, you have to pay tax ofcourse...Still cheaper then buying in Australia

Steven

This link shows you the process it will take.

http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/roads/vehicle_regulation/bulletin/importing_vehicles/general/index.aspx

I

f you are a owner of a vehicle for less then one year, you have to pay tax ofcourse...Still cheaper then buying in Australia

Steven

Yes I've got my forms filled in ,just waiting on some docs for my scooters and they will be in the post,I'm doing the camper as a personal import and hoping to get my 2 lambretta's through on the pre 1989 ruling,should all get sent in this week and it says on the site the licence should take about 15 days .

Kev

Kev.

Sorry I was using my phone before and its hard work ,here's a question about the one rule I asked on poms in oz

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/118573-one-year-rule.html

And here's a link showing how they work out the import duty ,although its for another state ,but it show's they don't just guess or take your word for it.

http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=918&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15&mforum=lcoa

• 2 weeks later...
How will they check or verify that it's been in your posession for 12 months?

Will a sale contract for example of a dealer be enough? Or do the regopapers have to be in your name?

I think they would need the uk v5 reg docs in your name ,for atleast 1 year or what ever docs they use in holland,

Criteria, limit of 1 vehicle every 5 years

Applicants may only import one vehicle under the Personal Imports Scheme every 5 years.

Documents to be provided by the applicant

To apply for a vehicle import approval under the Personal Imports Scheme, you should provide the following (to the Department) in the first instance:

· a completed Application for a Personally Imported Vehicle;

· the application fee – $50 Australian dollars, by cheque, money order or credit card (MasterCard or Visa only). If paying by cheque from overseas, please seek advice from your bank on the correct procedure;

· a copy of your driver’s licence;

· a copy of the purchase documents for the vehicle, in your name;

· a copy of the registration documents for the vehicle (for the qualifying period), in your name;

· a statement of travel. The statement of travel is prepared by you, and itemises any international travel you undertook during the qualifying period. In particular, the statement sets out any absences from your country of residence. If travel was for business reasons, you should supply a letter to that effect from your employer; and

· a copy of your passport (this includes a copy of every page, including blank pages). If you hold dual passports, you should produce a copy of both passports.

here's another link

We have sort of messed up,or we are being a bit gready i'm not sure,but we are wanting to take the 2 old scooter's our camper and another car,which we only bought in may this year ,well we bought it in feburary but it never arrived till may ,so we can't fly out till next may ,as if we do we can't take the car ,but at the time we never thought we would get our visa so quick .

We are starting to think ,sell the car as its holding everthing up,well that and the fact we haven't sold our house,ive not sent in the docs for the import licence,as we need to prove were staying which means proof of a bank account, medicare or other things we haven't done yet,its all hard work.

Kev.