No handbags from Heathrow???

Guest Ryan T. Lion

Guest Ryan T. Lion

This is from Singapore Airline's website, apparently lady Mancs are allowed a handbag - but lady Southerners aren't.......?

Anyone flew from Heathrow recently and took a piece of cabin luggage AND a handbag??

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cabin baggage limitations:

For customers traveling from Heathrow Airport

• In line with new regulations laid down by British airport authorities on 7 Jan 2008, customers traveling in Economy Class will be allowed ONE cabin baggage and ONE personal item*
  • Customers in Business and First Class are allowed TWO cabin baggage, and ONE personal item*

Cabin Baggage size:

• Dimension : Length + Breadth + Height
    (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45 inches) in total subject to stowability.
  • Weight : Up to 7 kgs

Examples of personal item:

• purse, briefcase, laptop or baby changing bag.
  • Laptops in a thin satchel and slim line briefcase are considered a personal item. However laptops in larger computer bags and larger, bulkier briefcases are considered as one piece of cabin baggage.

For customers traveling from Manchester Airport

Cabin baggage size restrictions for customers of Singapore Airlines:

• Economy Class will be allowed ONE cabin baggage and ONE personal item*
  • Customers in Business and First Class are allowed TWO cabin baggage, and ONE personal item*

Cabin Baggage size:

• Dimension : Length + Breadth + Height
    (including protrusions) must not exceed 115 cm (45 inches) in total subject to stowability.
  • Weight : Up to 7 kgs

Examples of a personal item:

• A lady’s handbag
  • An overcoat
  • An umbrella or walking stick
  • A laptop or notebook computer (in a thin satchel or slim briefcase only)
  • A small camera
  • A reasonable amount of reading material for the flight
  • Infant’s food for consumption in flight and infant’s carrying basket
  • A fully collapsible wheelchair and/or a pair of crutches and/or other prosthetic devices for the customer’s use provided he/she is dependent upon them

• Infant’s stroller provided the infant is on board the aircraft

We just flew back with Cathay from Heathrow this weekend, and they didn't even weigh our cabin bags, let alone measure them. I had a handbag and a carryall, son had a laptop and a backback, husband had a large cabin bag, and daughter had a backpack. We all also had jumpers that we carried with us. I think you should just assume they are talking about an american type purse (i.e. what us Brits would call a handbag!). We checked son's guitar into the hold, but later saw someone who had taken theirs on (in a soft case) as hand luggage, which must have exceded the measurements. When we got on the plane, we also had another bag with sweets and stuff we'd bought in the duty free shops.

If you are travelling out in the near future (i.e. during this really busy time) it's worth checking in as early as you can - we checked in three hours before our flight and ended up being paid STG500 EACH (i.e. STG2000) to travel the day after, as the flight was overbooked :-) Kids didn't care as they didn't want to go back to school anyway, and OH said it was more than he'd be paid for one day of work! Seems like if they have overbooked the flights, it's first come first served with this type of offer.

Uh they both say one piece of cabin baggage and one personal item.

FWIW, careful packing can see you have room for a handbag in handluggage if need be. I manage to squish in a change of clothes, handbag, books, drinks and more in my handluggage bag. And the kitchen sink :biglaugh:

Guest Ryan T. Lion
Uh they both say one piece of cabin baggage and one personal item.

FWIW, careful packing can see you have room for a handbag in handluggage if need be. I manage to squish in a change of clothes, handbag, books, drinks and more in my handluggage bag. And the kitchen sink :biglaugh:

Yeah I know they both say one piece of cabin luggage + one personal item.....

Take a minute to read it - Manchester's "personal items" are much different to Heathrow's - I wondered if there was a reason for it.

Anyhoot - I've spoke to the airline and the policy is the same at each airport - they don't know why the website lists them differently.

RTL.