UK booster seat?

tean

I wrote a really informative post/thread on car seats in Australia (SA). Have a read of it before bringing your car seat. It really does cover everything you need to know about car seat laws and so on.

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/transport-shipping/24721-car-seats-australia-what-you-need-know.html

FWIW, if its a booster as in just a sit on basic base one without the back/side support then these are not acceptable to use. Most manufacturers no longer even sell them. If your child needs a car seat it will be a proper car seat for up to around 4 years and then from aged 4 upwards a high back booster seat which is secured with a top tether and the car seat belt. And then usually you have a harness in it to do up although some also do up with the seatbelt. But it will only be legal if its an Aus approved one fitted with a top tether.

By high back booster I mean something like these ones which are Aussie standards passed

http://www.britax.com.au/car-seats/booster-seats

Guest edenfieldpoms

hi,

what do uou do about a car seat then when you go out for a reccie? Can you get one with the hire company? What are the hire car ones like, does anyone have any idea?

thanks

april

I seem to remember some time ago that car/booster seats were not allowed on the flight due the the materials not meeting the rules for seats on a plane.

Does that make sense?

You can get them from a hire company or we have a spare one you could borrow if you get stuck.

Rob and Mel

Guest bishop3912

Hi Tean - yes we flew over with our booster seats as part of our luggage, we flew with Singapore Airlines and they were placed in a plastic clear bag and labelled by the lady at check in, with SA they do not charge you any extra for car seats, these are in addition to your normal luggage allowance. Booster seats are still for sale out here, saw them in Big W and Kmart on saturday at Marion, but according to the lady at Port Noarlunga baby shop Haggle, they are going to be phased out in SA within the year, not sure then how people will stand legally if you have already purchased them. As previous poster said if your child is over 4 they you will need to be in a high backed booster seat with top teather, if your child is under 4 they will need to be in a 5 point harness baby seat, again with top teather. Once your child reaches 7 they no longer need to have any type of safety seat out here in SA. Hope this helps. Bishop3912

Re booster seats (the sit on base ones). They are being phased out in Aus (and the UK and elsewhere fwiw). Most of the big name companies (Britax included) no longer make them to sell. Its high back boosters only as they are safer and the child properly restrained. The sit on ones are not fitted and move around easily, so in event of an impact the booster seat could slide out and the child sitting on it could be at more risk of injury. The high back boosters are tethered and seatbelted in so are much more secure.

Most airlines will carry a car seat/pushchair free of charge. I know Qantas and BA were no problem for us. If using the seat on the plane just need to ensure its one that will fit within the seat.

Guest edenfieldpoms

thanks to all of you for replying to my thread, we will just hire one when we sort the hire car out, just wanted to save some money as they want about $75 to hire a booster seat.

thanks

april

Guest weshardy5

hi april,

just a hello and a bit of info.

i was going through threads and seen that you are in edenfield.

funny thing is i work with a guy called matt mead who also lives there.

i mentioned it cos edenfield is not so big that you may know each other.

any way we are on with going to adelaide , my name is wes, oh rachel josh 14 and tyler 11. just got our visa through and will be on a recci later this year.

i got in as a electrician on 175 visa.

thought it might be worth getting to know each other as we may end up being neighbours lol.

all the best

wes and rach

Guest edenfieldpoms

hi wes,

really funny thing tonight we were out for tea and matt texted us asking if we were on some website as ''edenfield poms'', he told us about you.

We have just booked flight tonight to fly out next monday on a reccie for 3 weeks

You will have to pm me and we can compare notes

April & will, charlotte aged 11 and daniel aged 4