Buying a car- Help please

LaurenG

We just arrived on Friday, and are staying in a holiday rental in Aldinga Beach.

So far so good! :-)

We are deciding on what to do about a car. Car hire is too expensive to maintain.

We don't want to put all of our money down on buying a car but as we all know cars hold their value over here and Neither of us know enough about cars to know if a car would get us to the end of the street (assuming we buy a banger.)

We have just arrived and are still job hunting. Does anybody know whether garages would offer finance if we have no current income - long shot I know. Or does anyone know about car leasing?

We have seen new cars that would suit us for about $16,000 but would only want to put down about $6-7000 upfront.

Have you looked at novated car leasing. Any car main dealer will explain it to you although I can't see how any lease / loan will be accepted if theres no income. You may be better off buying a cheap runaround just for a few months even if it seems a daunting prospect. As you say, cars hold their value so $ 6000 now may well be worth $5500 in 6 months time. Where to buy - well thats the question. I would guess a 6 grand car is a private sale and I would like to think that buying from someone on here is fairly safe but ofcourse a bomb of a car is a bomb irrespective of from whom its bought.

Good luck.

If you are interested I know someone who has a car for sale $6000 Commodore VT Berlina Series 2 135,000kms. Really good car and well looked after. He wants to downsize

• 7 months later...
Guest yogi64

We offer a pre purchase inspection a lot cheaper than the RAA, we are RAA approved and we have done a lot for new migrants just recently, we can also advise on what type of car is a good buy and which are not.

If you want send me a PM and i'll give you my number if want a chat.

Mike

Guest PaulandVicky

Cheers. thanks for the offer, but I'll keep on looking.:notworthy:

Seems more stressful than buying a home! Ill keep you posted if I hear of any places.

V