Best value flights from UK to Adelaide?

Guest jlr248

Guest jlr248

Hi PIA, It looks as if there are a lot of us hoping to fly out this October, we plan to go anytime after 20th. Just wondering if anyone has found any good one way flight deals from Uk to Adelaide. We don't intend to have any major stop overs but a day or two wouldnt hurt if it made financial sense. Need to keep all our pennies for our new life down under! Singapore Airlines seem quite good but would love to hear what people are paying for their flights and if there are any bargains to be had. We have got a permanent visa and have heard that some airlines offer extra baggage and discounts for this. Please help x

Guest loopylisa

Im flying september but I paid £661 pounds one way with singapore air. When I flew in April return I paid nearly £900. So I think it does depend alot on the time of year and how much you book in advance. I booked in feb for my april ticket and in may for my september ticket.

Guest jlr248
Im flying september but I paid £661 pounds one way with singapore air. When I flew in April return I paid nearly £900. So I think it does depend alot on the time of year and how much you book in advance. I booked in feb for my april ticket and in may for my september ticket.

Hope that booking in September to fly in October will prove to be reasonably cheap!

Guest Adelaide_bound

We've found the cheapest (by usually quite a way) is SIA, going from Heathrow via Singapore, with varying stopovers from about 2 hours to 16 hours, ecomony seats for 2 adults is £1129 all in, various dates from late January to late March. The next is Qantas at about £1250 (all in) for the same route and then the others all seemed a lot more. I found all the comparison sites all gave worse fares as well, and couldn't get near the directly booked with SIA price (no idea why, would have thought they could get a better deal, but obviously not in our case!).

Out of interest, if you go through the hoops booking with Qantas (but not actually booking as it were) you get to see what I find an interesting line graph showing seat prices across the year with the exact dates of changes, can be helpful if you are flexible with regards to when exactly you fly.

Travel agent was useless, lowest they could get was £1900!!

Hi PIA, It looks as if there are a lot of us hoping to fly out this October, we plan to go anytime after 20th. Just wondering if anyone has found any good one way flight deals from Uk to Adelaide. We don't intend to have any major stop overs but a day or two wouldnt hurt if it made financial sense. Need to keep all our pennies for our new life down under! Singapore Airlines seem quite good but would love to hear what people are paying for their flights and if there are any bargains to be had. We have got a permanent visa and have heard that some airlines offer extra baggage and discounts for this. Please help x
Hi we booked three weeks ago to fly out 13th sept with Qantas , Heathrow , Singapore for 5 hours and then on to Adelaide, £706 each with 40kg baggage each !!

Guest loopylisa

Would that be before or after you add the cost of getting to adelaide from either melbourne or perth? they dont fly into adelaide from london and they depart from stansted and they only depart twice a week!!! and the website is horrid. Clearly here you get what you pay for. There website is truly awful.

Whatever you fly, try to get a flight direct into Adelaide. There's nothing worse than flying over/close to Adelaide on your way to Sydney, before having to hang around several hours, and getting on a domestic flight, when all you want is a shower and for this horrible jet-lag feeling to go away.

Guest jlr248

Thanks for ideas everyone. I would prefer to fly direct (Manchester to Adelaide) I just want to get there and get on with it but OH is'nt keen on 22 hr flight. Guess we will just have to weigh up cost against convenience. Can't even book flights yet as we still have so much to sort out (wish we had managed to sell our house and make a clean break, so much extra to do now we are having to rent it out). Thanks again x

Hi we booked our flight this saturday for the 12th sept with Cathay Pacific paid £2500.12 with a 6 hour stop at Hong Kong, good luck with your plans.

We might see you at the airport loopylisa how will we know its you?

kellyx

Guest jlr248
Hi we booked our flight this saturday for the 12th sept with Cathay Pacific paid £2500.12 with a 6 hour stop at Hong Kong, good luck with your plans.

We might see you at the airport loopylisa how will we know its you?

kellyx

Was that £2500 for 4 adult tickets ( our kids are both 14). I would'nt mind a stop over at Hong Kong. It could be good for buying ipad 2 or similar. Wonder if they would be any cheaper there?

Hi jlr248

Yes £2500.12 our girls are 12,13 had to pay adult fares. went into local travel agency none of the big chain ones, also looked on internet this was the best price.

Kellyx

jlr248,

No,

We could of gone with Singapore Airlines which do give you the 40kg if you're emigrating for the first time. We decided to go with Cathay Pacific, it was £600 cheaper and we knew we wouldn't use the extra 20kg each. We thought we could spend the money on new things once we got there.

Kelly

(we are emigrating)

Guest jlr248

Hi Kelly, Thats a big saving! I bet you're sooo excited. Have you got a place to stay or work sorted out? How do your girls feel about it. Ours think we are the most evil parents from hell for dragging them away from all their friends.

Hi jlr248,

We have rented accomadation with Roo Rentals in Morphett Vale for 8 weeks. Our girls are looking forward to it, a bit daunted, they havn't moved schools a lot and they're old school only had 175 students in it and that was ages 3-16. They're looking forward to the sun. When are you planning to fly??

We don't have jobs yet, my husband has just done 23 years in the RAF and I am a Senior Health Care Assistant in the hospital, we have started applying but no job offers yet.

If we'd have left it any later the girls probably wouldn't have wanted to come, now is the perfect time because they havn't started GCSEs or anything yet.

Kelly

Booked with flight centre last year with Singapore Air , fantastic all round 40k each allowance , & lots of freebies thrown in also like airport transfers ,discount tickets for all attractions , night safari & zoo , great place to recharge the batteries then just another six hours overnight flight direct into Adelaide , two full days exploring Singapore & on the new A380 airbus made it a wonderful stopover , went with Quantas also (direct ) never again, so Singapore wins every time for us . Best of luck.

Guest jlr248

Hi Kelly,

We started the process almost 3 years ago and if things had moved on more quickly no doubt girls would have been fine but they have got older, more freedom, boyfriends etc (and they are frankly sick of hearing about Oz). Im sure they will be fine once we are there and settled in. Thats why we want to get there no later than end of October, so they start school and make some friends before long summer break. We too dont have jobs yet but have friends to stay with in North Haven on arrival. Unfortunately i dont think we want to live in that area so we will have to get a rental quickly in whatever school zone we end up choosing. I think we will head down south, Reynella High seems well thought of. Hard to say until we get there, don't suppose we can base all our decisions on what we have read on PIA or see on Google earth! My OH is a plumber and im a Special Needs Teaching Assistant but I also do bank work as Clinical Support to make up my hours, so who knows what I will do. We are looking forward to the challenge though! Have you sold your house or are you renting it out? Jane x

Guest jlr248
Booked with flight centre last year with Singapore Air , fantastic all round 40k each allowance , & lots of freebies thrown in also like airport transfers ,discount tickets for all attractions , night safari & zoo , great place to recharge the batteries then just another six hours overnight flight direct into Adelaide , two full days exploring Singapore & on the new A380 airbus made it a wonderful stopover , went with Quantas also (direct ) never again, so Singapore wins every time for us . Best of luck.
OOOh, like the idea of freebies! Have been to singapore a few times before but i would be a first for the girls.

Hi Jane,

We were lucky enough to only have to wait a year from start to finish. We exchanged on our house just last friday and on saturday we bought our tickets. We have family living in North Haven, Osborne. They are picking us up from the airport. We have never been to Australia (apart from my husband 25 years ago) so don't now what it's like. We thought about moving down under 15 years ago but family ties made us stay. We decided to take the plunge last year. We've both just turned 40 and are looking for a better way of life. We also like the look of Reynella School, Christie's Beach and Aberfoyle Park High School, we are going to try and buy in that area. We are now just waiting for the movers who come next Thursday. Only 11 days until we get on the plane!

Kelly

We must be really lucky as our 2 kids one 15 and one 11 are quite positive about the move. When we told them that we were moving to OZ the eldest, who we thought would be quite upset about it, but he surprised us and just when where and why not until July 2012!!!! The youngest was a little more concerned about leaving his Nan (wifes side) and Grandad (my side) but once but once we explained that we hope his Nan will be eventually joining us and Grandad will try and visit he was a little happier. Over time we have shown them different houses etc. and schools we think would be good for them and now they are itching to go :-)))) When we told the Eldest he would have to go back to school his reaction was 'oh fine' - what a good lad!