flight socks

Guest loopylisa

Guest loopylisa

Hi

I was speaking to a friend earlier today who said ' I hope you've got your flight socks'. Now I bought a pair over easter took them with me put them on for a while then took them of as they are SOOOOO uncomfortable. Do other people wear them? I'm in my twenties, average weight and not on the combined pill so i think my risk for dvt is quite low. Do I really need to wear them/? my feet did swell a little on way over but they went down quite quick and I could make more of an effort to walk around...

opinions...?

I'd not bother. They are no where near as good as the proper medical ones anyways, least was my understanding.

Just ensure you stay hydrated, get up, move around and stretch your legs for 5-10 minutes every hour or so (unless snoozing). And when sitting do some flexing exercise and change leg position now and again. Walking up and down the plane is good, do some leg flexing while waiting in the queue for the loo and all that.

I also pop a half an aspirin before the flight (but that is not advised in some medical circumstances).

Guest guest3462

I also wouldn't want to be taking an aspirin! You would be very unlikely to get a dvt on a plane journey so I wouldn't bother with the stockings. As for the aspirin, my theory is this.....You would manage to continue a flight with a dvt to yourdestination without too much serious risk to your health, but a GI bleed due to perforation of your stomach by asprinwould be catastrophic!!! (also extremely unlikey to happen, but if ur worrying aboutdvt then best to go the whole hog!!!)Have a safe and pleasant flight, request an aisle sea get up and move about better still get an ex it seat! :-)JC

I always wear them on long haul flights, because I know from experience that my feet/ankles do swell up, to the extent that I can't see my ankle bones if I don't wear them, so I only wear them to stop that happening, rather than to avoid DVT... I do have poor circulation in my legs though, so most people shouldn't have that problem. My flight socks are quite old now, and not all that tight, but still enough to stop the swelling. They shouldn't be uncomfortable or particularly hard to put on, just slightly tighter than normal socks, maybe you need a larger size?

If you're stopping in Singapore, the free foot massagers are great, if you've got a few hours then head to the pool. If you've got a short connection and are stuck in a boarding gate lounge (which I doubt if you're flying direct to Adelaide), then find some floor space, and lie on your back with your feet in the air, pedalling movements, or bringing legs into chest then straightening them really help get that blood flowing again. You'll get a couple of funny looks, followed by a bunch of people realising what a good idea it is and within a few minutes there's generally at least ten people doing the same thing.

Guest Jane & Tony

I have heard that you need to take 25mg of aspirin for 3 days befor your flight and 3 days afterwards (if you want to take them that is) Otherwise the blood thinning will not happen if you only take one.

Anyone else heard this? My Doctor advised on it.

Guest loopylisa

I took aspirin once because I had a pain because I had fallen over a caused a haemotoma on my shin it caused the blood to leak from the haemotoma and alot of pain. The doc advised me against aspirin. I know its a different situation but I bruise really easily so Im wearing about taking it now. The flight socks werent tooo tight but i just didnt get on with them. I do have a 6 hr stopover in changi and am making a bee line for the pool and the fish spa massages. :jiggy:

Are those the regular foot massagers or the fish ones? Also are skinny jeans a bad idea?

I'd always go with looser fitting for comfort. Sitting in skinny jeans for 24 hours plus isn't my idea of fun. Also you do often bloat a bit when flying. I tend to wear layers so I can put on a sweater if it gets chilly and looser fitting jeans or trousers for long haul flights. Honestly, its about comfort over style or looks when flying long haul.

Guest loopylisa
I'd always go with looser fitting for comfort. Sitting in skinny jeans for 24 hours plus isn't my idea of fun. Also you do often bloat a bit when flying. I tend to wear layers so I can put on a sweater if it gets chilly and looser fitting jeans or trousers for long haul flights. Honestly, its about comfort over style or looks when flying long haul.

True. But I wanna look cute as a button for Mr Loopy :biggrin:

Re aspirin - may be worth speaking to your doctor.

Mine said badly fitting socks can do more harm than good! He advised taking Aspirin for a week before travelling and 3 days after (25mg) Walk about and do stretching exercises during the flight as often as you can (hints in the flight info in the seat pockets) and drink plenty of WATER.

I'm a bit overweight and over 60 and I've never had any problems. My husband had a DVT after surgery 10 years ago and does wear specially fitted socks (+ doing all the above) and we've both been OK on our last 7 long haul flights to Oz.

We always try use the foot massagers at Singapore and, as the stopover for the Adelaide flight is about 5 hours, we also go for a swim at the Terminal 1 hotel - it costs about £10 but they provide towels, you can have a nice shower and change into cooler clothes and have a drink and a snack after.

PS forget the skinny jeans!

Guest guest3462

Lisa why don't you do a posh spice and wear track pants to fly in and put ur glam gear in ur hand luggage you can change and do your make up an hour before you land then you'll be lush for your fella and comfy to boot? X

Guest Guest5035
True. But I wanna look cute as a button for Mr Loopy :biggrin:

Do you have to book for the swimming pool as I was planning to just turn up.

think wearing the stringy bikini at the airport will do it for mr loopy, you could always wear the socks at the same time.....

:biglaugh:

stevo