What YOU should SHIP out ?

Guest S A !!

Currently looknig at what goes and what doesn't.

Been advised to bring electrical goods as they will work through a gang socket with an Oz plug relpacing the UK one.

Anything else I should take ?

We are thinking of taking a car as I believe the cost of 2nd hand vehicles is mad exspensive ....ANY ADVICE on this very much appreciated RE: TAX / MOT / INSURANCE.

:huh:

Should I bring my old Vynyl records is there a buyers market out there for these things or should I sell 'em and forget 'em.

Thanks in Advance people !!

Sorry can't help but, most seem to think the car is not worthwhile too many import tax issues.

- - - - - -

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread!

A lot of our furniture is old now and needs replaced. Also we did our current house in very olde worlde style and in oz I think we would want to go contemporary. Would it still be worthwhile to send a container? I have also heard that furniture is very expensive is SA so is it better to buy here and ship to OZ (as used items of course).

I know it's a bit of an unfair question, nevertheless, what are your experiences?

IrishStew (OH)

Guest BAZnDAF

I researched the price of everything out here before we packed and hope the following is helpful:

Good quality bedding (Manchester) can be expensive so I bought a load before we came but check the bedding sizes as they can differ so I bought flat King size and they fit a Queen out here. I also bought a load of M&S pillows as they seem expensive too as are duvets, we wrapped our TV up in a couple of them.

Stock up on toiletries (deodorants/toothpaste/flu & cold remedies/headache tablets etc) I stocked up at Wilkinsons and glad I did as they can be expensive compared to UK.

I didn't bring much in the way of crockery as that is relatively cheap as are kitchen utensils (there is a massive IKEA here to tide you over)

White goods can be expensive, you have to shop around and look out for deals and furniture is too but the quality is good, we bought a leather 7 seater sofa ex-display and paid a lot less than an equivelent would have been in the UK.

KMart, Big W and Target have great deals on day-to-day household stuff and Cheap As Chips is excellent for laundry & cleaning stuff.

We toyed with the idea of shipping our car but is was to much hassle so we both bought second-hand cars here. Our Rego's cost around $210 each for 3 months which includes 3rd party insurance only, we both have fully comp insurance though and there are no MOT's here.

Regarding shipping things over, a lot of it depends on what budget you have to start with,and how new your things are. we found it better to do a shared container as we did not really have very much in the way of furniture, for example back in the uk we had a large 3 piece leather recliner + rocker recliner chair very nice,expensive looked great in the uk house however it would have been a major pain to shift about and it may have not fit in to the open plan living we now have. It also would have been too dark with the room. And due to the size of it ,this would take up a lot of room in the container also. If something is sentimental or of value to you easy take it with you.

Remember your luggage allowance, And what season your are going to be arriving in it might be oz but it still rains so be prepared.

When you arrive here you may be in a holiday rental that will have the things you need. When you come to move into your long term place should your shipment not have arrived you can always buy the essentials that you did not bring with you.

We have large flat screens. Coming over, expensive pushbikes ,expensive kitchen appliances,weight bench& weights plus other bulkier items of clothing. The thing is our shipment will not be over for a while so we picked up a cheap LCD tv to put us on with ,had to buy a push bike to get to work as I don't drive etc.. . You can always get a deal on something you just have to research and look for them.

When our shipment comes over and we have doubled up on something,who cares it can be allways be a spare if not give away

Hope this helps

When you come over here you will most likely be in a holiday rental there for a while~ everything apart from bed sheets will be there for you.while you are waiting for your shipment you may have already moved into your long term place by this time the essentials you did not fetch with you you will have bought it .

We packed up our electrical kitchen equipment-magi mix, ken food chef etc... , new large flat screen, pc/tower, high end push bikes,kids toys tv stand, and other bulkier items we could not get in hand luggage ( we also air freighted 100kg clothes we needed as there was a mix up with the luggage allowance . We ended up buying an average tv,there's always deals to be had.

Just be realistic. Sell what you don't need/want, clear out early to charity shops an bin the rubbish.

Do trial packing with the cases.

Do your research, once you have decided on what you are taking get your shippers in and they will tell you if you can or can not take it, and when you get here if you haven't packed it you can either buy it or do without

Hope this helps

Sorry can't help but, most seem to think the car is not worthwhile too many import tax issues.

- - - - - -

I hope you don't mind me piggybacking on your thread!

A lot of our furniture is old now and needs replaced. Also we did our current house in very olde worlde style and in oz I think we would want to go contemporary. Would it still be worthwhile to send a container? I have also heard that furniture is very expensive is SA so is it better to buy here and ship to OZ (as used items of course).

I know it's a bit of an unfair question, nevertheless, what are your experiences?

IrishStew (OH)

If you can bring everything... it might take you awhile to get jobs find your feet so having all your furniture around for a while won't hurt. It means you don't rush out an buy expensive things and get ripped off which is easily done. Having said that their are bargains to be had at some of the big places but I prefer to get a feel for a store and market, knowing when and where the bargains are really helps. If you ahve to rush out and buy stuff it could prove expensive. I also would not worry about the style unless you plan on living in a trendy pad in Henley or west beach some of the houses can be shocking in decor lol