singapore airlines - drinks snacks availability and prices

Guest libbysmum

Guest libbysmum

Hi all, less than a week before we fly out, was wondering about a few things about our trip. We are flying with singapore airlines, are the drinks free? If not how much do they charge and what currency would we need to use on board? What currencies are accepted at singapore airport?

Sarah

Guest nic-manchester

Hi sarah congrats on your near departure! We to flying with Singapore so would be nice to know too. I was told by my boss that all drinks are included but this is unconfirmed.

All food and drink (including alcohol) served is free. Obviously you have to pay for any duty free you buy on board though.

If you get peckish during the night between meals, they'll even bring you a snack.

You also get a blanket, pillow, flight socks, and toothpaste and toothbrush.

Have a nice flight.

Guest guest3462

The food, snacks and drinks service with singapore is great. Just remember that on the long journey the crew do sit down when they turn the lights out so if you or the kids get peckish you need to be assertive and ask the cabin crew for what you want. They do bring small drinks round about every hour os so, but if you want something specific you need to ask. You have paid for it so dont be scared to ask! lol

HIYA, All food & drinks are free all the way , and if you dont feel hungry when they come round ask them to sit it aside & go get it later , and as said before there are plenty of snacks available at the galley at back where you can get fruit , biscuits , crisps , teas & coffee so you wont feel hungry when you get to Adelaide , just remember tho , DO NOT TAKE THE AIRLINE FRUIT OFF THE PLANE !!! as they will charge you $200 for the pleasure of taking it off you Quarantine that is . At Singapore airport they will take all currencies , better to have a some $ with you just incase. Hope you have a good flight down .

Hi , we flew last week with singapore airlines , they were great , drinks and food are all free.......... if you want a snack at any time just go to the galley and they will let you have it . if you are stopping over in singapore like us for a few nights ., get a mortgage ha ha , to say it was expensive would be an understatement , although the traders hotel was fab i still didnt like paying £9 a pint and £4 for a can of coke !!!!!

singapore is a very beautiful and safe place to visit so if you can ... do it

Guest libbysmum

Thanks all,

so with regard to singapore airport, we have a 5 hour stopover, so not sure if we will have a chance to leave the airport, might go for a swim and have a shower to freshen up and was looking at having a meal. How much should I be budgeting for for 2 adults and 2 children? Is there any particular food chain which is good value for money etc?

Long time ago now but when we originally flew out here it was with Singapore Air and we had 5 hours at the airport - plenty of time for a swim and a shower and something to eat. Remember to put your cozzies in your hand luggage (towels and shampoo/soap etc are supplied at the pool).

Well there is a burger king for cheap n cheerful, there is also a starbucks. Each terminal has eateries, but you can visit each of the 3 terminals by the little train or you can walk between them as they are connected. There is also a movie theatre and with hrs layover you may have time to take the free city tour, they bus you around the sites, which may whet your appetite to come back for a holiday.

Guest hughescl
Hi , we flew last week with singapore airlines , they were great , drinks and food are all free.......... if you want a snack at any time just go to the galley and they will let you have it . if you are stopping over in singapore like us for a few nights ., get a mortgage ha ha , to say it was expensive would be an understatement , although the traders hotel was fab i still didnt like paying £9 a pint and £4 for a can of coke !!!!!

singapore is a very beautiful and safe place to visit so if you can ... do it

Hi Sarah

We flew with Singapore and had a 9 hour stop over we had a nap, shower and a meal at the Hard Rock Cafe the time flies, we paid for the meal in sterling and had the change in dollars just enough for a coffee at starbucks the hard rock cafe was comparable price to the one in Cardiff think we spent around £80 for 4 of us with drinks, I wouldn't bring to much sterling as it will not be much use when you arrive, maybe consider paying for items on your debit card Claire :)

The pool was about 15 AUD for an adult if I remember right, with towel, locker, showers, shampoo etc and a free soft drink included.

I don't usually bother getting food in Singapore, since you have food on the plane just before landing, and just after take-off. I just go to the pool for as long as I can, then head over to the departure gate. If you don't want to spend money on airport food, just take an extra snack with you off the plane, or take some ceral bars or whatever in your handluggage to keep the kids going.

Guest guest3462

5 hours is not a long time there and there is plenty to do. You can get on the monorail and visit all 3 terminals go see the orchid roof gardens and the butterfly enclosure. Then the kids will love looking at the koi carp ponds. There are usually some sort of "street" entertainment going off too, so after you've done all that and had a swim and looked round the shops there won't ve too much time left. Go to burger king that way it stats cheap and the kids can Grt icecream! :-) x

Thanks all,

so with regard to singapore airport, we have a 5 hour stopover, so not sure if we will have a chance to leave the airport, might go for a swim and have a shower to freshen up and was looking at having a meal. How much should I be budgeting for for 2 adults and 2 children? Is there any particular food chain which is good value for money etc?

Hi there,

We flew out 2 weeks ago with Singapore and had a 5 hr stop also. I would definately recommend the Skyview Lounge, especially with children! It cost £50 for 2 adults, 2 children and all food and drinks were included. Sandwiches, hot food, alcoholic drinks, tea coffee etc. They have showers, and provide towels too - one less thing to pack in hand luggage! Our 5 hours flew in and boarded our last flight feeling refreshed! Good luck!

:wink:

Guest Adelaide_bound
Long time ago now but when we originally flew out here it was with Singapore Air and we had 5 hours at the airport - plenty of time for a swim and a shower and something to eat. Remember to put your cozzies in your hand luggage (towels and shampoo/soap etc are supplied at the pool).

Don't forget the ziplock bag for the wet cossies afterwards (or just bring cheap old ones and bin them!) or you will have soggy bags :(

Guest nic-manchester

We have 16 hours in Singapore, two kids = nightmare! Think we will do the tour on bus, have a swim then a kip in the hotel fr six hours, am sure time won't go to slowly because we will be so excited.

Guest BackToAdelaide

I could go on for ages about how good Changi Airport is. I've flown through there on my way back to visit my family in Adelaide every year for 7 years so I know it pretty well! As previous posters have said, you can pay for things in most major currencies and receive change in Singapore dollars. I never exchange money before I go, I either pay in whatever currency I have on me or I withdraw a bit at an ATM at the airport. There are loads of places to eat at the airport - and each terminal has a variety and you can easily travel between them via the Skytrain in a matter of minutes.

Each terminal also has a transit hotel. I've used it once. I didn't book it in advance, just turned up and asked if they had a room. If there's not one available in your terminal the staff will happily check and book in another terminal if you wish. As already mentioned, you can honestly get from one terminal to another in a few minutes (a handful of minutes to reach the skytrain then about 2 mins train journey).

It is also true that you can do tours of Singapore from the airport (http://www.changiairport.com/at-changi/leisure-indulgences/free-singapore-tour). You need to find the counter in your terminal and register for the tour. The last one leaves at 4 but the counter closes an hour earlier. These tours are free and you need at least 5 hours transit time or they won't take you. You go through passport control like anyone else then you have to stick with the tour group and can't go off exploring on your own. I've done two of them and it's a great little introduction to the city if you don't have enough time to stay over. Main problem is most people fly out of the UK in the evening and so arrive too late to do the tour but go for it if you find yourself there at the right time!

Another favourite of mine is to get a massage. There's a place providing all kinds of massage, reflexology, facials etc. I love to treat myself with a massage during my stopover as it helps loosen tight and stiff muscles after a long flight and helps perk you up for the next one. You can also take a shower there for a few dollars, or for free if you get the hour long massage.

And speaking of massage, one of the myriad of free things to do at Changi Airport is to use the leg massage chairs. I know there are a couple in terminal 3, not sure about other terminals. They're near the kids play area. There are always displays of some sort going on. Last time I went through there was an xbox kinnect set up and you could have a go at playing soccer. Quite good fun. I highly recommend a look at the website to see what things you fancy doing while you're awaiting your next flight. http://www.changiairport.com/in-transit

Regarding the original query about food on board, as many have already said, you can pretty much get whatever you want on Singapore Airlines but you may need to ask for it. I usually find I get offered more food than I can eat but if you ever feel peckish don't be afraid to ask. If the stewards are not walking around (they don't do this so much when it's lights out for sleep time) then you can either go up to them in the galley or simply press the attendant call button. Main thing is to make sure you keep drinking fluids so you don't dehydrate.

Now I've typed all this I can't wait to go again! Hope you all enjoy the flight and good luck with the move to Adelaide!

All good info!

Can I jump in and ask what may be a stupid question?

I've never flown on a long haul flight before, flying from Heathrow to Adelaide via Singapore with Singapore Airlines. When we reach Singapore do we have pickup our luggage from the 1st flight then check it in for the next flight or is this done automatically?

Cheers

Matt

All good info!

Can I jump in and ask what may be a stupid question?

I've never flown on a long haul flight before, flying from Heathrow to Adelaide via Singapore with Singapore Airlines. When we reach Singapore do we have pickup our luggage from the 1st flight then check it in for the next flight or is this done automatically?

Cheers

Matt

It usually goes straight through automatically. You shouldn't need to worry about it. Unless you are having an extra long stopover or a few days in Singapore. If its say a 4-5 hour layover you'll only have handluggage to worry about.

Ask for your luggage to go straight to Adelaide then you are just 'in transit' with hand luggage at Singapore (They have little mini trollies for that too if you plan to walk about!)

- lots to see and do - gardens, shops, massage, swim, large screen TVs, free internet ..........

Done it 7 times now and looking forward to it all again sometime in the next couple of months. Makes that long journey bearable!

Guest BackToAdelaide

You don't even have to ask. They will check it through to your final destination unless you ask them not to.

A good tip for your carry on luggage is to pack a change of clothes with you, ideally lighter clothes for warmer weather. It's pretty much always warm and a bit muggy in the airport (not horrible but you can feel it). I always change into a sleeveless top, shorts and sandals. Plus you feel a lot fresher after a change of clothes and brushing your teeth. I usually have a shower too before I board the next flight. Once again it helps with freshness and also eases any muscle stiffness from the first flight.

Guest ben farrier

We went into the transit lounge. It cost £15 per adult not sure about children. You could have a shower, there was a gym and free food and drinks ( they charge for alcoholic ones ) . It was well worth it and helped to pass the time. You felt vey refreshed when you had been there. Just follow the signs for the transit hotel go up the escalator and it is on your right.