Malaysia-Flying with 3 month old- STROLLER??

jodipodi

Hi has anyone who has travelled to Adelaide with Malaysia Airlines and had a young baby with them? What I can't seem to clarify is whether they will let us take a stroller on board the plane and put it in the overhead luggage storage? When I rang the lady on the phone said they would take it off me at the gate and I wouldn't be able to have it back until we reach adelaide?? If not what happens? I could'nt cope walking about carrying a small baby and no stroller for the airports between the transit flights!! Any advice with regards to travelling with babies would be great!!??

They won't let you put it in the overhead storage thats for sure. At most they will store it in the cabin somewhere (but I've only ever known BA accommodate this and they did so for all 4 little ones on the flight then), probably in a tall cupboard but they don't have to do this. Usually you take it right through to the boarding gate and then check it in and it goes into the hold from there.

Then at your refuel/stopover you usually manage without. I know Singapore airport has strollers for airport use and you can request one or grab one if you see one free (white, basic but they do the job). But not sure if that happens at your stopover if flying with Malaysian Airlines.

I'd suggest looking into a baby carrier, wrap or sling of some description. Really is a fab way of carrying a small baby around and much easier than a stroller and bags. I never minded using one and my son was always very happy in his as he was close to someone and comfy. If anything I'd go one of those over a stroller any day when flying. Great for walking up and down the plane also if little one cries or won't settle and having hands free.

How long is your stopover? If its only a couple of hours it won't be that bad if you don't have a stroller. There are two of you flying I'd guess so you can take it in turns. I'd personally prefer to carry my son at that age in an airport than put him in a stroller. Much easier to settle also as they like to be close to you when small. Its comforting to them. I know some strollers are suitable from birth but many of the fold flat ones are generally only suitable from 6 months iirc.

Bugger. Oh well, looks like a carrier it is then, just thought itd be much easier to cope with another two children aswell as baby. We will arrive in K.L at 5.25pm and leave for Adelaide at 9.50pm so about 4 hours but the return flight is quite a long, arrive in KL at 3pm and dont leave for UK until 11.40pm! We have never been abroad before as adults, only when we were kids ourselves, so we don't really know how it all even works, what time to check in, where to go, etc etc.....been advised to check in via web 48hrs before so we can book certain seats without paying for the privilige. Any advice?

Cheers Snifter.

We had already pre booked our seats so didn't worry about the online check in to book them. We did do an online check in anyways but still had to check in luggage and so on. So still got there 2 hours before departure (long haul usually requires this).

Sounds like your flights are timed right for sleeping for the kids. Should work well. Just wear them out as much as possible in KL and let them play. By the time the flight out to Adelaide is ready to go it'll be getting on for their bedtime (UK bodyclock) so they'll be tired and happy to sit down I'd think.

Think it just puts me off as Im not used to slings/carriers. Suppose its only for a couple of hours though. Our other two are older, will be 11 and 8 and theyre good as gold so not worried too much, the trusty NintendoDS will be a lifesaver methinks, and Im sure there'll be plenty to have a nosey at in KL airport. The seats are 3-5-3 I think so think Ill do the web check in to try and get 4 together, that depends on whether theres any more babies on the flight needing a bulkhead seat but theres a couple of bulkhead arrangements I think so we might get lucky....she says....lol.....they might see three kids and do a quick seat move anyway MWUH-HA-HA-HA!!!!.....

Thanks for the advice, always welcome x

I flew with Malaysian this week. I would try and prebook your seats if I were you. Both of my flights were packed full, and bulkhead seats are always the first to get booked. I flew from Adelaide to London ..... the LHR to KL leg is on a 747 which is a 3 - 4 - 3, and the next leg is a 777-200 which is a 2 - 5 - 2 if I remember right. The main terminal in KL has a lot of duty free shops and eating places, but at night it is very quiet in there. You'll probably need to go on the shuttle train to the departure terminal for the next leg of your flight which is easy (and free of course) and the other little terminal has a few shops but not much else. The loos are immaculate by the way, and the airport spotlessly clean. Oh and I did see the airline check-in staff putting strollers into the hold luggage. You should take it to check in and ask there, I did see one sitting outside the plane door when I got off before I went up the tunnel, so they might take it onboard if you are lucky.

When are you flying to Adelaide?

Thanks Wizzywozza. Well, we dont actually book our flights until next week when I rob the local bank ;) but we will be flying out on the 28th March and return on 27th April WOOHOO!! Cant really afford to pay for designated seats but in their website it says you can web-check in 48 hrs early and choose your seats from whats left then? Im pretty sure we get bulkhead seats with a bassinet anyway with having the baby, or at least one of us will, the 3-4-3 would be ideal if we got the '4' and 2-5-2 we could get the '2' and then 2 out of the 5 if poss. The airport sounds good, clean is always good for me as I have a bit of OCD going on...couldnt even hire a stroller at the airport as I would feel contaminated :biglaugh: How did you find Malaysia Air? Did you fly with children? How did the journey go? x

You can book your preferred seats when you book your tickets, there's no extra charge. I'd strongly advise you booking the bulkhead seats when you sort your tickets out. I booked my seats back in Feb when I booked the ticket. I just wondered if you were flying soon, as I return to Oz on the 29th Sept with Malaysia Airlines.

I'm too old to fly with my kids - they are 26 and 25!! Airline was ok, but as I said both legs were full. I've had better food to be honest but the meals were very filling - more than enough to eat. The one thing I did find a bit uncomfortable was that on both legs the planes were very hot and it made me really uncomfortable. Also the security when you get onto the next flight at KL is very thorough .... I had a full pat down, bag search and they even searched my money belt and passport holder that hangs round my neck. All in all the flights were as ok as a long haul ever gets. It's the jet lag that's a pain in the bum!

Sharon

Ooooo I didn't know that Sharon, that's fantastic news!!!! I will definitely be booking our seats then, that's a big deal for me as Im a little nervous so not being next to my kids wouldnt be the best situation. Im not that bothered about the grub to be honest, Im going to pack some snacks for the kids as I cant imagine them eating fish curry as some have already informed us haha, and as we fly through the night I dont expect they will want much 'meal' wise, going to do a couple of sandwiches and wrapped snacks for them like flapjacks and fruit bags. Thankfully bubs will be too young to care and all I will have to worry about is milk...I expect that to be a pain in the posterior with security but hoping to take a couple of made up bottles and then a tin of formula in hand luggage to mix with boiling water in flight. I did expect you to say the flights were cold, so Im glad I know not to over dress the kids, Ill just layer them up. Thanks both of you for the good advice :wink:

Grrr, Sharon do you know if its recently changed re seats? Just had a look on website and it says ''Fancy a particular spot? If you purchased a basic Economy Class ticket, you may now select preferred seats for a small fee...'' wonder if theyve just brought this in. Never mind Ill just have to do the 48hr check in thing x

not flown with Malaysia, but with Singapore (as recently as last week) the stroller goes with you to the gate, staff then take it and if you stop for refulling, tough, but a change of plane and you get the stroller back as you come off the plane, then go through the same procedure for your next plane. At Adelaide it will come through with the luggage NOT to the plane door, so a carrier is a good idea for that time.

Worst case, most airports do have stollers for loan too.

It is a good idea to reserve seats, but remember until you check in, they are not guaranteed, cos someone may come along with a priority need that takes the seats you had reserved. It doesn't happen often, but in the past, I have even been moved once issued with a boarding pass!

EDIT: remember you can book a child meal for the kids too.

and security should just make you taste each milk bottle for your bubs I reckon. I bought those ready milk cartons one time, and they made me open and taste all of them! you could buy them through the screening at Boots, but couldn't be guaranteed they would have what you wanted

Re the above about Boots. You can phone Boots in Departures and order baby milk. They usually keep some back.

And blimey they made you taste them all. Bit harsh. We got checked but they never asked me to open a single carton. Didn't end up using them anyways but was good to have them in case.

FWIW about getting the stroller back, its not a given if you change planes you'll get it back. We didn't on a couple of occasions. It went through with the rest of the luggage and was loaded onto the next flight. We asked if we could have it back in Singapore but they were firm and said no, it wasn't happening. I have to say, BA were probably the best when it came to strollers as we were allowed to take it into the cabin and they stored them in some tall cupboards and we got them back as we left the plane. Was brilliant. And it wasn't a problem for them, they were happy to do so for everyone with them. If only other airlines would do this :idea:

We have just returned from Oz with Malaysia Airlines and we could not fault them at all. The staff couldnt do enough for you. If you want for anything just ask and they will bring it for you. We were sat behind a family with a baby and they were provided with sky cot etc. Milk was up and down the aisles loads of times being warmed up by staff. The food was great but then we love malaysian food but there was a non curry option too. I would definately fly with them again. In flight entertainment was good with lots of variety for kiddies and games etc. We pre booked our seats without charge. In fact if you go onto a website called seat guru or seat genie(cant remember which) you can see your allocated seats and they say whether they are near toilets etc and will advise you whether these are good seats or not......you can do this for most airlines....Hope I helped a bit,

Regards Allison

Thats great news, we initially wanted to go with singapore but flight prices are massively different now so decided on Malaysia, Im glad its a good choice and that they are good with kids and little babies on board. I also love Malaysian food so does hubby so I expect we will be fine as long as like you say they have a non curry option for the kids, Ill have my 'supplies' anyway. I will definitely ask about seating when I book the tickets anyway they can only say yes or no so nothing to lose. Cheers for all the replies xx

Guest Scottish_Mitchells

Hi

My kids are 11 and 8 and I always pack pj's or joggies for all of us in hand luggage so when we get on we change and feel more comfortable. Then you feel fresher when landing. We have travelled with Malaysia Air and to be honest they are all very good. I agree with you to take some snacks, box of pringles are a good one as they dont get crushed with everything else. KL airport is quiet, absolutely immaculate but not any play area's etc. There is an outdoor part with tree's, plants etc. Movies and games are good for the older ones on the flight so you should have no worries there.

Good luck and enjoy

We travelled with Malaysia when we first came over and we took our stroller with us. The staff took it off us as we boarded and gave it back when we disembarked at KL. Or that was the theory anyway! We forgot to pick it up as we were so shattered when we got off so it got sent all the way over to left luggage! It took us 40 minutes to actually get it back!

I've flown with Malaysian a couple of times and always found them to be very good. We did find a play area at KL airport but it wasn't in the transit area of the airport where all the gates are. We flew out to Adelaide a few years ago and on the way back to London had a stopover. The play area was just after we checked in and before we got on the shuttle train so it's not in the part of the airport that you walk around when in transit see http://www.klia.com.my/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=47

Guest migrating from norwich

Not sure if you've already been told this. We flew with Singapore Airlines last year and left the buggy by the door when we got on the plane in London, it was given back to us at Singapore and then at Adelaide. As I understand it this is fairly standard. No stress at all!

Hi everyone, just to let you all know, and for anyone who may be wondering the same thing...Ive just booked our flights with Malaysia Airlines this morning and was told I can take the stroller right up to the gate and then it will be stored in the aircraft hold and given back to us in Kuala Lumpur, then the same when we get onto the connecting flight to Adelaide. So thats great help for us with bubs and we can shove some of our hand luggage on the handles whilst in stopover at KL! Couldnt clarify about the seating though as they don't allow you to book a babys ticket until its born so they are going to get back to me about pre booking a bulkhead seat with a bassinet, I cant see why not though....

Thanks for the help guys xx