Animals Leaving

Guest samog

Hi Guys

Well the dogs and cats fly out tomorrow and I am stressing my head off. Can anyone please reassure me that they will be ok during their 30 days of prision, I think this is worse than when the OH went :confused::confused::sad:

My cat Chloe got out of Quarantine on the 14th September and its like she's never been away. She hasn't been bothered by it at all.

The worst bit I found was the flight. I took her to Heathrow and watched them whisk her off in her box on a forklift truck, but her through an xray machine and then off into the darkness. The vet at Heathrow was lovely though.

I tracked her flight the whole way and got myself worried over the slightest delay. Once she reached Spotswood (melbourne) I couldn finally sleep as they totallypbut me at ease. They knew her without having to look her up on records and said she was absolutely fine and that they thought she was lovely. etc.

After that I rang and checked on her once a week, they had done weigh-ins so would tell me she was eating well... putting on a little weight (which they view as a good sign) they were never bothered by me calling and always friendly staff that a spoke to. Then on release day dogtainers flew her over to Adelaide.

She seemed a upset when we first picked her up in her box -crying very loudly. I was worried because she didn't stop when she saw us so thought she didn't recognise us but the second she got out of her box she was all over me for a cuddle... she was never normally so affectionate.

So I sure yours will be just fine too. :)

Guest mimasawrus

Hi There

It is the most stressful thing sending the animals, we brought three dogs with us and one of them was a disabled sausage dog. I was so worried, but guess what they were absolutely fine. The quarantine staff were great I rang everyday and they reassurred me and looked after them really well, they made a special cosy nest for my dachshund because she could not get on the raised beds and although she is wobbly and slow when walking they still took her out of her kennel and made sure her legs were excercised. My dachshund shared with my young terrier so they each had company and could snuggle together and my 10 year old greyhound was absolutely fine he really seemed to enjoy his stay there and he was very popular with the staff. The staff seem to make a great deal of effort when looking after your loved ones. So good luck and I am sure they will be fine, but whenever you feel you need to give the staff a ring as I say I rang everyday apart from weekends when they did not take calls. We have since lost our greyhound to the big kennel in the sky, but he loved his time here very much. My other dogs especially my wobbly dachshund really do love it here.

Laura x

from January 2012 dogs need to have the rabies vaccination and a blood test done 1 month after the vaccination, if the rabies vaccination is completed at least 5 months before departure then the dog will only need to stay 30 days in quarantine, if not then the dog may have to stay in England until it has past the blood sample and it's within the required time or stay longer in quarantine in Australia. So dog owners ensure you do your home work and don't leave the dog last to sort out, other wise you may find more hurdles to tackle.:swoon:

Thanks guys for taking the time to reply, I think sending the furries has been the hardest thing so far, I actually feel a bit sick sititng here knowing they are due for take off any minute now. Air pets have been brilliant and the lady that collected them today was lovely, although Harry one of the cats made a last minute bid for freedom, typical cat!!! The dogs just happily jumped in their kennels without a single clue, the guilt was terrible :arghh::arghh:.

Anyway fingers crossed they will get there safely and hubby who is already in Adelaide can keep a good check on them

Thanks again for your reassuring words xx

Oh the relief I am happy to say all the animals arrived safely and are settling in well. Thanks to everyone who listended to my paranoia and for everyone who's animals are due to fly please take heart in the fact that my Border Collie who is the biggest baby in the world made it so any animal can :jiggy: