Shared container price question?

Guest adzm124

Guest adzm124

Hello, I've read on a couple of posts about shared container prices being around the £3200 - £3900 mark, and am wondering has anybody been charged less than these amounts, ie: is it as simple as the less stuff you have, the cheaper the price, or is it more like a fixed fee kind of system so that nobody takes a little bit and gets charged accordingly?

Thanks

Guest Adelaide_bound

It all depends how much you are taking - we are only taking about 200 cubic foot, which isn't a huge amount of stuff at all, and I think its coming out about £1400 (depending on the company we are going with and exactly what we are taking, when we get round to deciding!). SO yes, the less you take, the less you get charged.

Speaking to the first company though, when we were taking a lot more stuff, they said they make all their money off groupage containers, as they charge a load more than just the split of a full one, if that makes sense.

Guest adzm124

Yes it makes sense, just trying to work out what's best to do, in the long term v selling things to then spend more on getting them again (!)

Have they all said it takes 6 weeks? Seems to be the standard response. When are you moving? (if prying - don't answer!)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Don't worry, we're fairly open about things (we tend to spill all beans about everything on our website anyway, so might as well on here too lol).

We're going mid-Feb :)

Everyone has said to us it would be between 6-12 weeks for groupage, but to be honest, we want it to take as long as possible - we are going off around Oz in a campervan for many months before we settle down and want our stuff we are shipping, so the longer it takes to get there the less time we have to pay for storage, which is obviously better for us :)

We're not taking loads because a) all our stuff is second hand and/or Ikea bottom of the line type stuff, we don't really have anything good apart from the few bits and bobs we are taking with us and b) it has to go into storage for so long and we have to factor that into our costs as well - as well as c) its an excuse for me to go shopping once we finish our trip and get some lovely new things that go with the house we move into, I don't think the things we have now would go anyway as they are all small and Oz houses seem to be more open plan and big.....we're a bit odd though because of the trip I guess.

Guest nic-manchester
Hello, I've read on a couple of posts about shared container prices being around the £3200 - £3900 mark, and am wondering has anybody been charged less than these amounts, ie: is it as simple as the less stuff you have, the cheaper the price, or is it more like a fixed fee kind of system so that nobody takes a little bit and gets charged accordingly?

Thanks

We have just been charge 2700 and 250 for insurance for 10k came around £2941 all together for 540 cubic feet of sotrage, that was with Dorree Bonner. We got estimate of cubic feet then when they packed up think it was slightly more but they have not invoice me the difference. Must be a certain threshold before they reinvoice you!

hope this helps, they collected our things two weeks ago and it sets sail on the 29th October and will arrive in adelaide on the 9th december, just hope it clears customs before they shut down for xmas.

Nicola

That's interesting, how much is 540 cubic m? Is that a 20ft container size?

I doubt it. Although I cba to go convert it either but it'd be less I think.

Wait, good old Wikipedia has an answer for containers and breaks it down for you in the table on the right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-foot_equivalent_unit

Average price of a sole use 20ft container these days seems to be around the £4000 mark from my readings.

Guest nic-manchester

Hi adzm124 no apparently they use 20ft cont, but share it, so they cant sale til they have at least 1800 cubit m to go. Although all our things are boxed in separate wooden crates with our things in, and I thought we sent alot of stuff!

Nicola

Thanks

We had 450 cu ft and cost £1770 with John Mason.