Transporting our dogs

R & H

Hi there,

Can anyone recommend a caring but professional agent for transporting our beloved Golden Retrievers? We have two and there are so many companies out there, we really would like to choose one on recommendation from someone who's experienced their service rather than taking a chance that all will be ok. This is the one thing that is worrying us more than anything, especially as one doesn't even like car travel let alone airline! - but we couldn't stand leaving them behind.

Thanks,

Helen

There are a fair few to choose from.

Have a look over on Poms In Oz Pets section http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/

There has been loads posted on different companies and costs etc.

Also be aware of the new rabies regs as this alters things for dogs coming over from the UK quite soon. The info for all this is here

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/pets/126993-urgent-update-shipping-pets.html

Hope you find some answers over there.

BTW, I can recommend a local company to us (outside Bristol they are based). A kennels called Whitehouse Kennels, but they may be too far from you

http://www.whitehouse-kennels.co.uk/moving%20overseas.html

They are a small local company with a great reputation. I've had numerous dealings with them over the years and cannot fault them.

Hi Helen

We used PetAirUK and they were absolutely fabulous - our dog looked so good when we got her back. We also booked a pet transportation company to deliver her to our door from the Airport. We used PetAirUK gold cover so that nothing was missed etc. On the day of the flight we delivered Micha to the vet they use in Windsor who sealed her in her crate made specifically for her. She was not too good at travelling, altough she was not sick etc she spent car journies panting and standing at an awkward angle but they took such good care of her and the vet that did the blood tests etc (based in Wareham Dorset) was a really nice guy and made such a fuss of her. (The vet visits your home to do take blood samples etc)

Any questions, just ask but I can't say enough good things about them and I was soooo worried about her travelling all this way.

Good luck

Jo

Thanks for the info Jo, I was given a quote by them and they stood out for me as they sounded the most caring but to have your confirmation has really helped make up our minds, nothing like receiving endorsements from someone who's been through it, so thanks very much.

Helen

Thanks for the info Jo, I was given a quote by them and they stood out for me as they sounded the most caring but to have your confirmation has really helped make up our minds, nothing like receiving endorsements from someone who's been through it, so thanks very much.

Helen

That's OK Helen! We were really worried about Micha because she's not great at travelling and she's eight so I thought the stress of the journey would be too much for her. We were called when she was put on the plane at Heathrow and we could call the quarantine station at anytime when she arrived in Sydney (we left it a bit late and Melbourne was full). The flight from Sydney to Adelaide was delayed by half hour and they even phoned to tell us that and we could track her plane on the internet. When we took delivery of her, her coat was gleeming, she smelt lovely and really looked healthy so much so that I even considered going into quarantine myself in order to lose a few kilos!!

Good luck

Jo x

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ausbound

I too am really worried about transporting my 3 dogs and 1 cat, especially the 2 big dogs (Border collie 8yrs & black Lab 9yrs) I am not sure they will cope with the journey or the heat. I have also worked out it will likely cost around £15K which is another worry but as I don't have any family they can stay with it looks like they may have to make the journey. This is definately the hardest part about deciding to move to SA. As our house is not yet sold can anyone shed light onto whether we would be likely to find a rental that would accept our brood and is there a limit for dogs and cats for the local licences?

Thanks

I too am really worried about transporting my 3 dogs and 1 cat, especially the 2 big dogs (Border collie 8yrs & black Lab 9yrs) I am not sure they will cope with the journey or the heat. I have also worked out it will likely cost around £15K which is another worry but as I don't have any family they can stay with it looks like they may have to make the journey. This is definately the hardest part about deciding to move to SA. As our house is not yet sold can anyone shed light onto whether we would be likely to find a rental that would accept our brood and is there a limit for dogs and cats for the local licences?

Thanks

With regard to the licence, it depends on the area tbh. Some have them, others don't. I am not sure if there is a maximum as standard either. I do know some people with more than 2 dogs have to apply to be able to keep more. Or its per person in the house, so can have 3 as 2 are regged to one person, one to someone else, but not sure if this is a loophole they have done anything about. Also some areas have cat curfews and even that they are kept on your property 24/7 so you have to cat proof it all or keep them indoors, but not sure if this applies to Adelaide area.

Many people with a dog say they have offered a bigger bond and also to keep dogs outside etc so as to secure their rental. Here is hoping you could do the same.

Sadly the cost of shipping 3 dogs and a cat is huge. Have you looked into rehoming options if you need to consider it for whatever reason. Many decent rescues exist and could help you rehome if need be. I know, I volunteer for 2 wonderful ones myself. Of course, for many not taking them isn't an option but for some the reality is it isn't possible even if they can afford it. Its not always about the cost but the welfare of the animal and what is better for the creature concerned, not our own needs and wants. Its not a decision people arrive at easily but if it is your only way forward, you'll at least have time to find a good home for them. Drop me a PM if you ever need any help with rehoming anyways. I hope you are able to take them, but if you can't, I'll do what I can for you.

Guest Ausbound

Thanks Snifter your advice and offer of help is very much appreciated. I would rather they didn't have to make the journey if I am honest I am not comfortable putting them through this. I did do some research on RSPCA/ Dogs trust etc but not sure how you go about engaging their services as I would feel comfortable if they recommended the homes. I don't want to just put an advert in a paper, they are too nice for that.

Thanks Snifter your advice and offer of help is very much appreciated. I would rather they didn't have to make the journey if I am honest I am not comfortable putting them through this. I did do some research on RSPCA/ Dogs trust etc but not sure how you go about engaging their services as I would feel comfortable if they recommended the homes. I don't want to just put an advert in a paper, they are too nice for that.

hi i worked for the RSPCA and Dogs Trust, i would advice you to rehome them through dogs trust, your dogs will be rehomed rather quickly and possible together due to their age, you need to ring them ASAP and inform them of your changes and state you want them to stay together they will do their best to this. I worked for LEEDS DT and we always kept dogs together if they were at a senior age.

jennet

• 4 weeks later...
Guest munsters

Hi, we've recently moved to WA, we used' golden arrow' (based down South) brilliant. Really helpful - definately recommend. When you get to Australia there is a company that we also used while our Munsterlander was in quarantine 'dogwalks.com' they will come in and walk and play with your animal' You have to email quarantine station and authorize them to do this approx $350 dollars for the 4 wks, they also put photos on of your pet which we found helpful to ease the stress.