Flights at the time of the olympics?

Guest Helchops

Guest Helchops

Hey all,

We've just been granted our visa and we're looking into when we can go. It looks as though we're going to finish out the school year so that we can be paid for the month of August when we actually fly, and so that we can allow enough time to hopefully sell the house, or else save enough so we don't have to (v. tight budget!).

My question is, do you think flights around the time of 26th July - 7th August are a bad idea? I'm poo scared of flying anyway and I wonder whether it'l be super busy (singapore nearly full on 1/08/12 already) and whether terrorism threats will be higher at this time of year?

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Hi

Congratulations on getting your visa!

We did very similar to you - we got our visas at the beginning of the year, but decided to let the kids finish their school year and it also gave us time to save up as much money as we could.

We flew out on 15th August and did a stopover in Singapore for 5 days.... It wasnt at all busy ...or at least I didnt notice anything....

Sorry, cant help with the terroism threat query - I cant see why flying in July/August would make any difference whatsover and ....who knows what is ever going to happen anyway...best not to think that way.

I think arriving in August is a good time to come over - its the tail end of the winter and it wont be long for the spring..which is a lovely time of the year.

Good luck with your plans!!

Sarah

Guest Adelaide_bound

for what its worth - it will be more expensive than other times of year because of the hols, as we are well experienced at now :P lol, but it might actually be a little less than other years because of the games.

Because of the games the threat of terrorism might be slightly higher, but, again imho, I would think only on incoming flights - a flight to Singapore and then Aus isn't really going to hit the headlines with the same impact that a flight to the western scum of the UK would, added to the fact that it would be easier to get something onto a plane coming into the UK from various places than it would getting something onto a plane going out of the country, at all points. So I think you are pretty safe there, and anyway as Sarah says - if it happens, its going to happen, best not to stress over matters we have no hand in really (and add to the fact statistically there is something like a 0.05% chance of it happening - far more chance of winning the lottery in real terms!).

The reality for me would be how full the plane is and whether or not you are likely to get an empty seat on your row or not, but as I am useless as predicting these things, I'm not sure you really can ever know other people's travel plans. Best just to go for what suits you best and what will be will be my dear :D

Can't comment on the terror aspect as don't read that stuff. My main thing is never to fly a US airline of any kind, nor via the US or north America.

Worth bearing in mind the price list changes after about Aug 16 or so iirc. Before that may be more expensive. Afterwards prices should come down a little. My MIL has booked to come over here next August already. Did it as soon as the window for advance booking kicked in back around Sept 22.

Might be worth checking out flight prices now and seeing what the deals are. I know in the past the earlier we've booked, the cheaper its been. Limited number of cheap tickets before they start the price hike as the departure date creeps closer.