Buying a Car in Oz - Can we get Finance (Hire Purchase) On a 176 pr Visa

Guest guest7008

Guest guest7008

Hi - the title more or less asks the question - when we arrive in Adelaide - how long is it before we would be able to purchase a car on finance? We are a large family and need a large 8 seater - have seen how much they are second hand and new and was just wondering would be get finance on a vehicle - hoping to buy a new one to be honest and keep it till kids all left home (be a while - lol !!) any advice/info would be greatly appreciated - heading over February 2012.

Many thanks Helen

Guest guest7008

we exchanging contracts this week so once that done we can book flights - don't want to book holiday rental till booked flights - so just been looking around at the holiday rentals - trouble is we need a 4 bed at least for us and there is not that many around!! I looked at car hire today....nearly had a heart attack on the prices for a 8 seater hire car lol so need to buy a car as soon as really hence the thread!! Just hope some wise people on here can advise!! we moving out of our house 2nd week in dec and staying with family till we all leave...exciting but rather scary too!!

I was here for 3 weeks and got a secondhand car ($35,000.00)...it is 7 seater but cost just as much as new. You need your job offer confirmation and proof you can pay for the car. My wife is a nurse and we have bought a Toyota Kluger 2009. I love it and it is massive. Be very careful as a couple of main dealers tried to rip me off and they also don't have Ho like we are used to here as mine was done on a personal loan even though it was a dealership...

Hope that helps.... ; )

I was here for 3 weeks and got a secondhand car ($35,000.00)...it is 7 seater but cost just as much as new. You need your job offer confirmation and proof you can pay for the car. My wife is a nurse and we have bought a Toyota Kluger 2009. I love it and it is massive. Be very careful as a couple of main dealers tried to rip me off and they also don't have Ho like we are used to here as mine was done on a personal loan even though it was a dealership...

Hope that helps.... ; )

Hi we had the same experience through a main dealer,Its all very clever, we decided on the car which was $15990 then they tried to bully us into warranty which was another $1400 which we refused then they passed us to another Girl to sign and she tried to sell us paint protection, another $1400 we also refused then they get a bit pissed off. After about probably 2 hours at something which should have taken 20 minutes we were passed to the business manager who again tried to sell us a warranty, we signed most of the paperwork but my partner needed a copy of a wage slip and couldn't get it until the next day,so the next day i took this in and took the paper work for Jayne to sign at work but on my way read all the small print there was almost $4000 in fees and interest. In the end we paid Cash . BUYER BEWARE. A $16000 car would have cost us $23000 if we didn't stand firm. It was like the timeshare touts in Tenerife:nah:

I totally agree with your statement. I am paying alot of interest but I told them to whistle on other bits and pieces and that I wanted the APR dropped...they did even though it was not by much it was enough to make It easier to pay.

They have salesman that sell you the car, then finance managers that do you finance work and they are sharks so be very, very switched on when you go....and if you can buy cash, then do.

At $35G I could'nt. BUT be very careful which type of car you buy also...I have a 1997 Mondeo that is expensive to fix and service due to them not being popular here...in UK I had one for nearly 10 years and it was dirt cheap...really do your homework and ask a friendly mechanic...there is Mick on here who told me to be careful...crap with names but someone will tell you...

we exchanging contracts this week so once that done we can book flights - don't want to book holiday rental till booked flights - so just been looking around at the holiday rentals - trouble is we need a 4 bed at least for us and there is not that many around!! I looked at car hire today....nearly had a heart attack on the prices for a 8 seater hire car lol so need to buy a car as soon as really hence the thread!! Just hope some wise people on here can advise!! we moving out of our house 2nd week in dec and staying with family till we all leave...exciting but rather scary too!!

We have been staying with relatives for a while now and i feel like im loosing my identity. We wanted one last christmas with the relatives so booked everything for Feb but to be honest wish i hadnt bothered just want to be there and get my life back on track. My boys are 8,6,4 and 1. We are lucky that they are still young enough to share for a while but will be looking for a 4 bedroomed house when we arrive. Have a look at Argus car hire and car hire 3000 we have found them the cheapest.

Take care Janice.

Hi Guys

We arrived in Sept,family 6.Rented a 9seater from Acacia Car Rentals $60per day.It was a heap of S**t but got us around for 2 weeks.Found out that Aussie Car Rentals have a station Wagon (I think Ford Falcon)7 seater for $35 per day!!Anyhow we then went to try and buy and could not get finance because no job and no offer of job husband self employed Tiler so we bought a 2nd hand Chrysler Voyager off Gumtree 2003 $10,250 and it is fab.You can hire a mechanic from RAA for the day to give it once over if you want to purchase something.We are thrilled with our car but people carriers here are expensive.Siobhan