• Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Which shipper? Any advice? plus average time?

Title
      previously Wiltshire, UK now Happy Valley, Adelaide
      Liked
      71 times
      Rep

Which shipper? Any advice? plus average time?

Hi all

We are leaving the Uk 5th April 2012!! (EEEEEEEEkkk!!)

ANyone have any ideas on shippers to use? we have had a quote from John Mason after reading lots of good feedback on this forum about them though they are quoting 12-16 weeks for delivery which seems a bit longer than I first imagined?

Can anyone suggest any other shippers to get other quotes/see if it may take a little less time to get there?

Thanks in advance x
      Steve, Tori & Tabitha (nearly 2) Visa Granted Dec 2011 - Originally from Wiltshire, UK, now in Happy Valley, SA. Home, crafting, recipe and family blog at http://2plus1dotme2.wordpress.com/
      Childrens clothing store: http://www.etsy.com/shop/tabithaandhugo?ref=si_shop

Title
      Administrator
      Liked
      4907 times
      Rep
      Sounds about right on the time frame. I'd not expect it in less than 12 weeks tbh. Especially if you are sharing a container. Some get there a bit before but I don't think that boils down to the company you use but how the shipping voyage itself goes. Even if a company says 8 or 10 weeks, it doesn't really happen. The odd person has said its arrived earlier but most on time or around the timeframe given.

There are the main few companies really. Pickfords, John Mason, Doree Bonner, Crown.... I'd get quotes from them all if I were you. And don't go with the one that is the cheapest just because it is the cheapest. Go with the one you have the best feeling about, that deals with all your questions well, seems to give the best service etc. You can read more about the companies over on our sister site, PIO http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transp...ope-helps.html

Title
      Liked
      1178 times
      Rep
      We are just shipping boxes and have been told between 8 - 14 weeks and probably the longer side of the estimate.
      Living In Adelaide Since Jan 2012 And Loving It

Title
      Liked
      1 times
      Rep
      Hi there,

We are going through the same pain. Looking to go towards the end of April. Definitely get at least three quotes to compare. Go over the quotes with a fine tooth comb so you understand what is and what is not included and if any thing is not clear ask for clarification. I agree with previous comments don't necessarily go with the cheapest. You need to go with the shipper that can best match your requirements. We have a three bed place and want to take our car and motorbike so our quotes are coming in for a 40ft container.

Title
      Liked
      143 times
      Rep
      Think you will find thats about the right time frame we sent our gear with john mason and its due to arrive there 2mrw 2 weeks before us ,,, lol bloody furniture gets there before us.... was a bit suprised to get email from the import handlers in aus asking for $280 for customs clearance..
      Applied for 176 visa 23/03/2011 C/O 19/04/2011. Meds done 18/05/2011 Police Checks sent 16/05/2011. Visa Granted 26/05/2011. Flights Booked 12/01/2012.

Title
      Liked
      124 times
      Rep
      We are flying the 26th April, we are shipping with John Mason. However not using their insurance. We have done all the paperwork and just waiting for confirmation. They said they will be here in feb to take our things. We don't want it to arrive until 1month after we arrive as we are in fully furnished accommodation until 26th May .

Leeanne x
      tori0609 likes this.
      Leeanne 33, Rob 32 Refrigeration and Airconditioning Engineer, Callum 7, Emily 4. Fly to Adelaide 22nd April 2012. Living the dream. Feel settled and happy here. X

Title
      Liked
      71 times
      Rep
      Thanks so much everyone - looks like I was being hopefull in my 8-10 weeks then!! Oh well, will make it even more exciting when we finally do get our own things back again!

I think we'll get a few more quotes but hardly ever read anything bad about John Mason so they are the favourite at the moment (regardless of price)

Those custom clearance charges sound a bit nasty!

Leanne - good luck with the move! we are fairly near to you here in the Uk (Salisbury) How are you feeling about it all? I'm feeling sick with nerves/worry yet a teeny bit excited (I think!?) Where in Adelaide are you looking at going to?
      Steve, Tori & Tabitha (nearly 2) Visa Granted Dec 2011 - Originally from Wiltshire, UK, now in Happy Valley, SA. Home, crafting, recipe and family blog at http://2plus1dotme2.wordpress.com/

Title
      Liked
      124 times
      Rep
      Hi Tori, I am feeling exactly the same as you. We sold our house on 1st December and I went through a real week of panic, not sure why I got like that. I think it just hit me ......for real. I feel so excited but feel slightly bogged down with paperwork from the sale of the house and shipping and also my husband is current getting his licences before we leave to enable him to start work over there after a couple of weeks. I have never felt so mixed with emotion. I do know one thing though and that is... This is the right move for us as a family. It's a fantastic opportunity and I'm going to grab it with both hands and enjoy the ride .x
      Our 4 week rental is in Seaford then we are heading to Port Noarlunga as we have enrolled our 6 year old son in to the school there and put Our 3 year old daughter down for the 4 year old transition program as she will be 4 when we arrive.

Where are you heading to?

Xx
      tori0609 likes this.
      Leeanne 33, Rob 32 Refrigeration and Airconditioning Engineer, Callum 7, Emily 4. Fly to Adelaide 22nd April 2012. Living the dream. Feel settled and happy here. X

Title
      Liked
      71 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by leeannekays View Post
      Hi Tori, I am feeling exactly the same as you. We sold our house on 1st December and I went through a real week of panic, not sure why I got like that. I think it just hit me ......for real. I feel so excited but feel slightly bogged down with paperwork from the sale of the house and shipping and also my husband is current getting his licences before we leave to enable him to start work over there after a couple of weeks. I have never felt so mixed with emotion. I do know one thing though and that is... This is the right move for us as a family. It's a fantastic opportunity and I'm going to grab it with both hands and enjoy the ride .x
      Our 4 week rental is in Seaford then we are heading to Port Noarlunga as we have enrolled our 6 year old son in to the school there and put Our 3 year old daughter down for the 4 year old transition program as she will be 4 when we arrive.

Where are you heading to?

Xx
      Oh well I'm glad it's not just me that feels as though I'm loosing my marbles!! We don't have a house to sell (luckily - don't think I could cope with anymore 'stuff' to sort out!) but we booked the flights this weekend which has just made it all feel so real! (yikes!)

We aren't really sure where to go but looking at Happy Valley/Reynella and surrounding areas. I'm liking your positive thoughts as I'm just having doubts the last couple of days though to be expected I suppose! Who are you flying with and are you doing a stop-over on the way? We are going with Singapore, hope it's a good flight (well, as good as it can be with a toddler!)

Title
      Liked
      588 times
      Rep
      Quote Originally Posted by tori0609 View Post

Those custom clearance charges sound a bit nasty!
      When you get a couple of quotes from various shippers, they generally have a little bit of info about AQIS charges, and a rough estimate for you based on how much you are taking - AQIS charge by time, so if you have more stuff that needs inspecting (and more 'dodgy' stuff, ie garden etc) then it will be more expensive. The min. charge is $165, and then it goes up, but ask the people coming around for quotes as they will know more about larger loads (we are only taking a tiny amount, so only looked at what the min. amount is, as it will only be that for us (hopefully! Unless a small weevil sneeks into one of the cases or something!).
      Our 33,000km ish trip around Oz - have a look here (also good for tips on equipment and holiday places ) Our moving and living here blog :)

• Letton Percival provide shipping insurance for your international move

•  
    Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast