Which shipper? Any advice? plus average time?

tori0609

Hi all

We are leaving the Uk 5th April 2012!! (EEEEEEEEkkk!!)

ANyone have any ideas on shippers to use? we have had a quote from John Mason after reading lots of good feedback on this forum about them though they are quoting 12-16 weeks for delivery which seems a bit longer than I first imagined?

Can anyone suggest any other shippers to get other quotes/see if it may take a little less time to get there?

Thanks in advance x

Sounds about right on the time frame. I'd not expect it in less than 12 weeks tbh. Especially if you are sharing a container. Some get there a bit before but I don't think that boils down to the company you use but how the shipping voyage itself goes. Even if a company says 8 or 10 weeks, it doesn't really happen. The odd person has said its arrived earlier but most on time or around the timeframe given.

There are the main few companies really. Pickfords, John Mason, Doree Bonner, Crown.... I'd get quotes from them all if I were you. And don't go with the one that is the cheapest just because it is the cheapest. Go with the one you have the best feeling about, that deals with all your questions well, seems to give the best service etc. You can read more about the companies over on our sister site, PIO http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/112260-shipping-cost-top-8-companies-hope-helps.html

Guest heatherb

Hi there,

We are going through the same pain. Looking to go towards the end of April. Definitely get at least three quotes to compare. Go over the quotes with a fine tooth comb so you understand what is and what is not included and if any thing is not clear ask for clarification. I agree with previous comments don't necessarily go with the cheapest. You need to go with the shipper that can best match your requirements. We have a three bed place and want to take our car and motorbike so our quotes are coming in for a 40ft container.

Guest leeannekays

We are flying the 26th April, we are shipping with John Mason. However not using their insurance. We have done all the paperwork and just waiting for confirmation. They said they will be here in feb to take our things. We don't want it to arrive until 1month after we arrive as we are in fully furnished accommodation until 26th May .

Leeanne x

Thanks so much everyone - looks like I was being hopefull in my 8-10 weeks then!! Oh well, will make it even more exciting when we finally do get our own things back again!

I think we'll get a few more quotes but hardly ever read anything bad about John Mason so they are the favourite at the moment (regardless of price)

Those custom clearance charges sound a bit nasty!

Leanne - good luck with the move! we are fairly near to you here in the Uk (Salisbury) How are you feeling about it all? I'm feeling sick with nerves/worry yet a teeny bit excited (I think!?) Where in Adelaide are you looking at going to?

Guest leeannekays

Hi Tori, I am feeling exactly the same as you. We sold our house on 1st December and I went through a real week of panic, not sure why I got like that. I think it just hit me ......for real. I feel so excited but feel slightly bogged down with paperwork from the sale of the house and shipping and also my husband is current getting his licences before we leave to enable him to start work over there after a couple of weeks. I have never felt so mixed with emotion. I do know one thing though and that is... This is the right move for us as a family. It's a fantastic opportunity and I'm going to grab it with both hands and enjoy the ride .x

Our 4 week rental is in Seaford then we are heading to Port Noarlunga as we have enrolled our 6 year old son in to the school there and put Our 3 year old daughter down for the 4 year old transition program as she will be 4 when we arrive.

Where are you heading to?

Xx

Hi Tori, I am feeling exactly the same as you. We sold our house on 1st December and I went through a real week of panic, not sure why I got like that. I think it just hit me ......for real. I feel so excited but feel slightly bogged down with paperwork from the sale of the house and shipping and also my husband is current getting his licences before we leave to enable him to start work over there after a couple of weeks. I have never felt so mixed with emotion. I do know one thing though and that is... This is the right move for us as a family. It's a fantastic opportunity and I'm going to grab it with both hands and enjoy the ride .x

Our 4 week rental is in Seaford then we are heading to Port Noarlunga as we have enrolled our 6 year old son in to the school there and put Our 3 year old daughter down for the 4 year old transition program as she will be 4 when we arrive.

Where are you heading to?

Xx

Oh well I'm glad it's not just me that feels as though I'm loosing my marbles!! We don't have a house to sell (luckily - don't think I could cope with anymore 'stuff' to sort out!) but we booked the flights this weekend which has just made it all feel so real! (yikes!)

We aren't really sure where to go but looking at Happy Valley/Reynella and surrounding areas. I'm liking your positive thoughts as I'm just having doubts the last couple of days though to be expected I suppose! Who are you flying with and are you doing a stop-over on the way? We are going with Singapore, hope it's a good flight (well, as good as it can be with a toddler!)

Guest Adelaide_bound

Those custom clearance charges sound a bit nasty!

When you get a couple of quotes from various shippers, they generally have a little bit of info about AQIS charges, and a rough estimate for you based on how much you are taking - AQIS charge by time, so if you have more stuff that needs inspecting (and more 'dodgy' stuff, ie garden etc) then it will be more expensive. The min. charge is $165, and then it goes up, but ask the people coming around for quotes as they will know more about larger loads (we are only taking a tiny amount, so only looked at what the min. amount is, as it will only be that for us (hopefully! Unless a small weevil sneeks into one of the cases or something!).

Guest bidsandrew

We used Pickfords and have been very pleased with them. The guy that came round and quoted told us that they would match any quote we got from other companies (we were in Blandford, Dorset) and in fact their quote did come out he cheapest in the end. We had quotes from John Mason, PSS and Doree Bonner and just found Pickfords the most professional (didnt actually go only on price). Our stuff arrived in just over 8 weeks, a few damanged bits but prob done during transit and not to do with Pickfords. Not one of our boxes where checked by customs which makes us made as we left so many bits that we were told wouldnt get through!

Good Luck with the move and see you on this side!!

Our stuff arrived 2 weeks ago, we used John Mason they were brilliant in uk and it was all unpacked and rubbish taken away at this end by Wridgeways also brilliant service. John Mason were by far the cheapest for us and it took 16 weeks, although i was told that the delay was through strike action in Singapore which i did confirm through another source.

Our stuff arrived 2 weeks ago, we used John Mason they were brilliant in uk and it was all unpacked and rubbish taken away at this end by Wridgeways also brilliant service. John Mason were by far the cheapest for us and it took 16 weeks, although i was told that the delay was through strike action in Singapore which i did confirm through another source.

Jimmy did you have to pay the $280 to clear customs quarentine as we have been sent an invoice from wridgeways ...

Jimmy did you have to pay the $280 to clear customs quarentine as we have been sent an invoice from wridgeways ...
Yes we did, when I looked back into our details though we were told this , think I just forgot about it. It said customs clearance to be paid locally.About 15 of our boxes had been opened but everything ok and not one thing damaged.

We too used Pickfords and can't fault them! We moved our things as soon as possible and had it stored here as it was cheaper that way whilst our house was being built. The time frame that everybody says was the same for us for getting our things from the UK to here. We had afew boxes checked but no problems as Pickfords gave us good advice. Hope the move goes well for you! Always loved Salisbury at Christmas for shopping but prefer the warmer weather here! :-)

Guest leeannekays

We are flying with British Airways, quantas. We have flew with them in 2009 to Oz when our son was 4 and daughter 20 months old. They were very good. It was a long long flight. When we got back I said I will only go again with Young children if it's a one way ticket! And we are. We have 1 stop in Singapore. Just going to try and relax and enjoy last Christmas here for awhile then get stuck in again next week. I say that but its all constantly on my mind. I have been clearing things out also. Xx

Hi,we used pickfords ( moved from Dorset ) and have just received out shipment today, it's taken 8 weeks to get here, they weren't the cheapest but priced match so all was good,really good guys on both sides of move also we only dealt with one firm so it all went smoothly,only trouble with quarantine was that they didn't like the fake pine cones on Christmas tree, had to be cut off,but a least now we have tree up ( just surrounded by unpacked boxes, lol)

Yes we did, when I looked back into our details though we were told this , think I just forgot about it. It said customs clearance to be paid locally.About 15 of our boxes had been opened but everything ok and not one thing damaged.

Cheers for that i just had a look through our paperwork must have missed that bit before..

Guest bidsandrew

Hi Ging, where abouts in Dorset are you from? We were so lucky not one of our boxes were opened although we left loads of stuff that we were told we couldnt bring and probably could have got away with!! We have taken a week to unpack everything and now it really does feel like home! Good luck with the unpacking.

Hi Ging, where abouts in Dorset are you from? We were so lucky not one of our boxes were opened although we left loads of stuff that we were told we couldnt bring and probably could have got away with!! We have taken a week to unpack everything and now it really does feel like home! Good luck with the unpacking.

G'day, we were in Weymouth for 10 years and Gillingham for 6 before that,we did have quite a few boxes checked so must be how they feel on the day.You may be right about taking a week to unpack and even then I think we'll still have a few left,also starting to look at buying a house so may have to do it all again in a few months, arrrgh