Shall I bring my motorbike?

Guest joseph1801

Guest joseph1801

Hi All,

I have heard that second hand motorbikes are pricey in Oz. Anyone know whether this is true? I am wondering if it would be worth bringing my bike with me from the UK.

Cheers

I don't really know ,it depends on the year of the bike and the value to you ,because you have the price of the shipping ,then import duty and getting it on the road once your there.,Also you've not given a lot of info about the bike ,age ,make ,model, value here ect.

The basic rules are if its newer than 1988 you must of owned and used it for atleast a year,if its older than 1988 the rules are a bit more flexable.

I'm bringing 2 old lambretta's, because they are a bit thin on the ground over there and I've had them for years and don't want to part with them.

Have a look on ebay Oz and on Drive to see about prices ,I think a lot of the time ,when you add in the shipping costs and import duty the price's end up a lot closer ,although some bikes do bring top money in Oz.

Kev.

Would you ride it though? Wearing leathers and a lid on 30+ degree days wouldn't be too comfortable, plus Adelaide drivers are generally not of too high a standard.

Thats a bit of a double edged sword ,that you could argue about all day ,I ride all year round and rode to Edinburgh and back on new years eve,which was over 300 miles in the rain fog and cold.So 30+ sounds like a nice change, although I would think there will be plenty of days when the weather is a lot more bearable.I have heard a lot about the driving over there and none of it very good ,but can it be much worse than riding in london or any major city in the uk or europe,I rode though Paris once ,thats an education:biglaugh:

Guest Barney Rubble

Try bikesales.com.au to get an idea.

as for wearing the leather gear . . . . . . See Mick Doohans add and you'll do it.

Saying that i have seen some absolute tools riding bikes in tee shirts, shorts and thongs (:embarressed: er sorry, flip flops)

Some of my mates go for weekend rides to various places and trust me safety first for the sensible rider.

You'll need to cut n' paste the links into the toolbar at the top,

Other than that TeamV has got it pretty much right:wink:

Guest joseph1801

Cheers guys

I agree teamV, having ridden through UK winters, I could deal with a bit of sun and heat - at least for a while!:biggrin:

I have a '98 zx9r which is only worth a couple of grand. I had a quick look on ebay au and the first '98 zx9r i found (>75000 kilometers) was au$5500 - a lot more expensive.

I guess to answer my own question I'll need to find out the shipping/registration costs etc. Anyone have any experience of this?

Cheers guys

I agree teamV, having ridden through UK winters, I could deal with a bit of sun and heat - at least for a while!:biggrin:

I have a '98 zx9r which is only worth a couple of grand. I had a quick look on ebay au and the first '98 zx9r i found (>75000 kilometers) was au$5500 - a lot more expensive.

I guess to answer my own question I'll need to find out the shipping/registration costs etc. Anyone have any experience of this?

There's a couple of lads who ride in the bsb in the uk ,I won't name anyone but they have been known to buy an older bike or car while in the uk and ship them back to Adelaide, as the value is a lot higher there:wink:

If its going in a container with your other stuff ,then fine but to just send a bike may be a pain,there's a section on the poms in Oz site just about shipping.you can alway's ask on there as well.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/

Kev.

Guest joseph1801

Saying that i have seen some absolute tools riding bikes in tee shirts, shorts and thongs (:embarressed: er sorry, flip flops)

Thanks for clearing up the thong comment - some nasty images went through my head for a minute! :confused:

Guest Rick N Vik

I am bringing a 2008 Harley Davidson Heritage Softail, here it is worth around 9k but the equivelant bike in Oz is AUD$24000 so for me I think it makes it worthwhile to put it in the container with all our stuff.