Seagrass Baskets

Guest eclare

Does anyone know if seagrass products are okay to shipped? I assume they may have declared as most wooded products. Our shipper has suggested they can't but the AQIS website doesn't list this a specific exclusion. Also does anyone know of the potential costs involved for any items that may need to be fumigated/treated etc? Again AQIS website gave costs but not specifically for these services.

Guest Adelaide_bound

I've heard anything from $30 to $300 for fumigation/radiation treatment, don't know if that's due to size or method of entry (the lower prices are when its taken in on the plane with you), and from reports from others etc it seems to be so hit and miss there isn't a formula for working it out :(

Then I've heard $220 for having it disposed of, so I'm all a bit baffled by it.

If its really precious to you, budget $500 per thing (as it will increase your inspection time costs as well), and you should be happy (ie it shouldn't be that much). If its something you can live without (and at the end of the day, possessions are generally just 'stuff' unless its sentimental), leave it imho - Australia has shops! :D (This is something I am looking forward to and everything that hubby says 'we'll just leave it, its not worth the hassle' I go 'yeah! More legitimate shopping!' for when we get there lol)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi eclare!

I was just thinking the same thing about my many baskets - my house is full of them! :huh:Are you resigned to leaving them behind? Just feel bit sad that I will leave them all and then have to replace them all the other end!!! So pleased all is going OK for you. Not long till you arrive eh! We arrive 12th September and are just getting into the whole shipping nightmare thing! Who did you go with in the end?

All the best!

I've heard anything from $30 to $300 for fumigation/radiation treatment, don't know if that's due to size or method of entry (the lower prices are when its taken in on the plane with you), and from reports from others etc it seems to be so hit and miss there isn't a formula for working it out :(

Then I've heard $220 for having it disposed of, so I'm all a bit baffled by it.

Agree. We had such conflicting advise from various shippers that came in to do quotes. Some said absolutely dont take it and some said take it but be prepared for fumagation costs but then no definitive costs for fumigation were given.

In the UK our house was FULL of wicker and seagrass from lovely old fashioned wicker hand basket collected over the years that I used for toy storage, laundry and logs to seagrass chests and wicker chairs in the kids rooms. In the end after a lot of consideration I gave it all away to friends. It was a hassel at customs I just didnt want to risk. As it was our first container has passed through without any issues at all.

On replacing things this end - some things have been easy - Adelaide IKEA has the exact same kids wicker chairs but I havent seen any quality seagrass chests or old fashioned wicker yet although I havet checked out the Brighton market etc which might be a good starting place. I am hopeful though that these sorts of things can be picked up eventually. One great thing I have found is wooden wine boxes available in abundance here are great for bits and bobs if you have an aversion to plastic storage tubs like I do!

Sarah

Hi

I got rid of all of ours. Used them in bathrooms, shoe boxes and for the kids stuff. Have replaced them here but not found exact ones I wanted but must admit did not shop around lot as they are all to go in cupboards. Try www.masterworksbasketware.com.au as they do seagrass

Places like Cheap as Chips and The Reject Shop always seem to have them

Nothing precious...probably leave it...it is good to get rid of which a lot of the 'junk'! Shipping next week so load is getting lighter by the day!

We're shipping next week, too! Gulp.....!

Good luck!

Lyn x