Cat question

Guest Andrew Family

Guest Andrew Family

If our cat hasn't had any jabs for years is there a time frame that we would need to work to for now transporting out? I know that all animals need the rabies jab followed by blood test results which could take up to 6 months but will the fact that our cat not having normal jabs impact further???

I'd get it vaccinated asap if you plan to be moving anytime in soon. The rabies jabs take the longest but as these are not standard for UK based animals this is more a one off so you'd need to allow six months. But nothing wrong with ensuring you've had your cat vaccinated for all it needs before hand. Also it might need other blood tests for stuff and if it fails that a re test after treatment etc so worth investigating now what the situation is.

Also if its not neutered I'd get it done here and save on costs the other end. IIRC you need to chip, register and so on with cats as you do dogs. De sexing gets you a cheaper reg rate I seem to remember reading. If your cat is picked up and isn't chipped, it often doesn't get long at the pound, sometimes only 48-72 hours before it could be PTS. At least if its chipped you stand a good chance getting it back.

Read the AQIS site for all the info. Number 11 on the list is general vaccinations. TBH though I'd not leave it to the last minute as it really isn't worth the risk stuffing up thousands of pounds for not being organised and getting it done in plenty of time.

http://www.daff.gov.au/aqis/cat-dogs/cat4?name=the%20United%20Kingdom

Time frame: Between one (1) year and 14 days prior to export.W! - As of 1 March 2012, all import permits for dogs will be issued with a condition that vaccination for Bordetella bronchiseptica (kennel cough) iy.Vaccinations must be valid for the entire quarantine period in Australia. All vaccinations must have been administered within an AQIS approved country.

• Cats must be vaccinated against feline enteritis (also known as feline panleucopenia or feline distemper), rhinotracheitis and calicivirus.

And contact a pet shipping agent or two to see what blood work etc you will need if you are not sure. And get some quotes in for shipping and quarantine and all that.

• 3 weeks later...
If our cat hasn't had any jabs for years is there a time frame that we would need to work to for now transporting out? I know that all animals need the rabies jab followed by blood test results which could take up to 6 months but will the fact that our cat not having normal jabs impact further???

We had missed last years jabs for our cat. Our vet said she would just need them done again with a booster 1 month later.

She's due the boosters in 2 weeks now. She's had her Rabies and been chipped also but the vet wouldn't do that & her annual jabs at the same time.

Hope that helps?

Guest Redhamish

Hi,

Following on from bringing cats out, what sort of experience have people had with their cats settling in?

We have two 9 year old cats and are working out whether to bring them or not. They are neutered, chipped and jabbed but not for rabies.

We know it's our decision but any advice/shared experiences would be welcome

Cheers

Hi,

Following on from bringing cats out, what sort of experience have people had with their cats settling in?

We have two 9 year old cats and are working out whether to bring them or not. They are neutered, chipped and jabbed but not for rabies.

Cheers

our cats came out with us and they have settled in fine, they both were 9yrs old at the time, and very timid cats but coped very well with the flight and quarantine.

Hi,

Cheers

One thing you may want to consider is the inpact your cats would have on the indigenous wildlife population here in Australia.....the amount of birds and small mammals killed in our garden by our neighbours cats is shocking.....also remember we have king browns here in large numbers, its an aggresive,defencive and very poisonous snake that is responsible for many a cats demise.

One thing you may want to consider is the inpact your cats would have on the indigenous wildlife population here in Australia.....the amount of birds and small mammals killed in our garden by our neighbours cats is shocking.....also remember we have king browns here in large numbers, its an aggresive,defencive and very poisonous snake that is responsible for many a cats demise.

On the other hand, and I speak from experience, those snakes I am sure account for a lot more small rodent deaths than any cat could hope to! I keep trying to train my two cats to catch and eat one of the bloody noisy magpies or the squawking corellas we get here, but to no avail.... I have two cats, and the myth about all cats being indiscriminate killers is just that - a myth!

...but they do eat spiders (I suppose they count as indigenous wildlife!)

• 6 months later...
Guest Redhamish

Hi there

We arrive in Adelaide at the beginning of June and are only just now arranging for the cats to come out

The reason being that we did our research last year and then when we came to start the process we found that the quarantine rules had changed in January this year

The cats were neutered and chipped but not rabies vaccinated. We knew we would have to have them jabbed and they would have to spend 30 days in quarantine in Melbourne (Adelaide does not have a quarantine centre) before we could get them

However when we started the paperwork we found out that they had to wait 30 days after the jab before having a blood test and then another 180 days after a positive blood test was recorded before they could enter Australia, although the 30 days quarantine could be the last 30 days of this 180

My Mum came to the rescue and has had them whilst we came on out

We are using a company called Airpets in Staines near Heathrow

They are charging £2300 to collect tehcats from Worcestershire and do the necessary to ge them to Melbourne

In the meantime we have to contact Melbourne and arrange the 30 day quarantine period which I think is about $40 a day

We then have to get them delivered to Adelaide or collect them ourselves

Give Airpets a call, they are very friendly and will provide a quote for you at no cost

I hope this helps and all goes well with your move